No rating

Rutgers Preparatory School

Living in Franklin...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $275,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted September 18, 2011

My son entered Prep last year after spending 6 years in public schools. The education was all that I expected and more. My son LOVES his school and couldn't wait to return after the summer break. My husband and I refer to him as "Mr. Rutgers Prep" because he is so proud to be a part of the community and the community embraces his individual talents and skills as a benefit to the school. The decision to send him to RPS was the best decision that we could have made for our son's future.

Posted March 22, 2011

Headmaster totally uninvolved, teachers don't do anything about bullying, most (not all) teachers have "something to do after school" hence no after school help, favoritism, so-called adjunct "coaches" are a joke (especially boy's soccer, absolutely no school spirit, PTA is non-existant. Go somewhere else!

Posted February 7, 2011

Way too expensive for what you get. At 24K/year, kids should be WAY advanced of their public school peers; however, that is not what I've seen with my stepson or his classmates compared to his public school friends or my nieces/nephews. Save your money for college because most RTP grads don't get a scholarship, as they'd have you believe!

Posted June 5, 2010

Rutgers Prep is a great school. The teachers are all excellent and always available for extra help for their students. The school is very challenging but prepares students for college but than any school I've seen.

Posted June 3, 2010

School is great but I gave a low grade as the headmaster, principals are cowards. They don't want to discuss anything about improving the school or listen to complaints. They will always blame the kids for anything their teachers don't do right. The only thing you get from them is lip service. The PTA is non-existent.

Posted May 22, 2010

This is a great school. This was the first year at this school for our 3rd grade son. He went to public school before Rutgers Prep. The Learning environment is great. He is definitely has a more challenging environment now than at his prior school. We are so glad we made the decision to send our son to RPS.

Posted May 19, 2010

Rutgers Prep has a long history and I'm sure is a good college prep school. However, my experience as a parent with a child at Rutgers Prep was not a positive one. Academically, my child entered at a level in reading and math above 90% of the students in his primary school grade level. The school was unsuccessful in challenging him in the classroom. Unfortunately, as a 1st grader, my child was unable to productively tolerate the boredom and behavior and focus became an issue. Afer a subtle suggestion by the staff that we "get him tested..." (for ADD), I knew this was not the place for us. However, before leaving the school, I did my homework and checked with other parents. Apparently, this a common thing amongst parents of "busy" boys. Some medicated and others said "Well, they focus less on behavior in the middle school."

Posted July 27, 2009

The REASON this school is up there with the best is it's consistency in going above and beyond even higher rated private schools: I can take Japanese; I can be assured of a high percentile college acceptance rating; I can study in top facilities, and I can also feel the tradition of excellence that seeps out of the walls of this school I call my own.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 28, 2009

I'm a parent of 16 years at RPS and have only great things to say about the teacher/student interactions, the parent/teacher communication and the preparation of my children. When your kids go off to college and they come back to say they are more prepared than their roommates, academically and with regard to time management, you are affirmed that Prep was a great family choice!

Posted October 2, 2008

Disappointing, at best. This school does not deserve to be rated as a preparatory school. Certainly not by the standards of the department of education. Children and their education are not the primary focus here. Save your money for supplemental education and place your child in your public school district. It would be more worthwhile to relocate to a district that upholds your expectation for education; a process which you absolutely cannot delegate to teachers but must have your participation.

Posted September 28, 2008

My son is no better off than his friends that attend public school and in fact, if you consider sports and activities other than chess club important in developing a well rounded person, you will also be very disappointed in this school...Especially for the cost. It is very expensive including books, trips, lunches... very over priced and over rated.

Posted August 13, 2008

Rutgers Prep has offered my kids an amazing foundation both personally and intellectually ... they have been exposed to a much more positive and engaging environment than any public school could begin to offer.

Posted March 10, 2008

This school stands for excellence. The education your child will get here is one of the best money can buy. You have to have a very intelligent child in order to do well here.

Posted February 1, 2008

This is an amazing school. I just started this year and it is harder than public schools. The teachers are all amazing and keep me interested
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 8, 2007

I think that this school is highly overrated. I have had a relationship with the Lower School and I was very disappointed with the quality of their academic assignments. I would like to see private school held to and accountable to educational standards set by the state so that parents can fairly assess the value of the education that their child will receive in such a setting. I was terribly disappointed by the competence of the teaching staff. Much of their materials were repetitive for grade levels year after year. I find the public school delivering a higher standard of education. You definitely don't get what you pay for in this environment. I would never recommend this school (ie the Lower School). Parent involvement enforced, parents 'reprimanded' for non participation. Extracurricular selection limited; compared to the interest of my child.

Posted June 6, 2004

I am truely pround to say that I have sent my child here since 3rd grade and has since had no complaints or concerns what so ever. I was at first uncertain about how he would preform, but after meeting with his teachers, for confrences, there was not a single doubt in my mind he wouldnt succeed. He will now be attending a very great school thanks to Prep.

Posted May 27, 2004

My son started the 4th grade at Rutgers Prep. The teachers are always there for the students not only with understanding and caring but with a devotion that is beyond the call of duty.

Posted April 14, 2004

This is wonderful. My daughter is a senior. She has been traveling to Rutgers Preparatory from Newark, NJ since the tenth grade. Due to the learning climate at prep. my daughter has gotten a scholarship to Syracuse University. Thanks Prep!

Posted January 18, 2004

Great educational environment. Students are the number one focus. High scholastic standards.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 6% 8%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1345 Easton Avenue