9-12 & Ungraded
Jersey City, NJ
Students enrolled: 2,389

William L. Dickinson High School 1

Posted November 26, 2014
This school is horrible, Im an honor student and I am faced with this difficult challenge everyday with kids that don't care. These kids have no morals or respect for others and let alone themselves. Every minute of everyday someone is cursing the teacher and the lesson isn't fisnished but the security somehow ends up with kids to take down to the office. Never send your child here, this school needs to shut down and separate everyone because that's what needs to be done

Posted November 06, 2014
I have to rate this school "above average". I have taught at this school several times as a substitute teacher. I genuinely believe it is on the up and up. I have also taught at Mcnair, Snyder, Renaissance Institute, Lincoln, and Ferris. The kids here are nice, the teachers are competent, and the overall atmosphere is safe. I always look forward to days I get to work at DHS.

William L. Dickinson High School 3

Posted April 14, 2014
I was saddened when I read the stories about the High School. As a former teacher at another inner city high school I fully understand the problems staff and students are facing. It is almost to the point that we should consider taking the students who really want to learn and put them all into a separate school rater than creating alternate school for disruptive students. My prayers are with all staff and students.

William L. Dickinson High School 2

Posted December 15, 2013
Dickinson High School is not a good school. There is lock-down almost every day, non stop violence. The principles, and the administration is down right horrible. The only upsides are the teachers and the diversity. I was lucky enough to have the good teachers, because I was in a magnet. If you have to send your child to this school, make sure you get him into AP classes, because that is the only way he will be prepared for college if you send him here.

Posted June 24, 2013
I graduated from DHS in 1966 and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The teachers with few exceptions, were uniformly excellent and DHS sent many students on to college. Problems, yes many but it you really want an education this was the place. It hurts to see DHS experiencing problems but I'm sure they will be overcome.

William L. Dickinson High School 5

Posted October 16, 2011
DHS is an amazing school. There's nothing that you can't accomplish here. The size and population of the school is spectacular! The structure for education is clearly outlined in the schools mission statement. The teachers are genuinely caring and concerned for the student s future. Anyone that says otherwise is obviously not doing their part. If the state scores are low it s because they calculate the students from other countries that don't speak, read or understand English within these test. (Very unfair) Keep your nose clean do your work and you'll succeed. DHS has won many science awards and has beaten McNair, County Prep and high tech. It has won nationwide and also beat Bergen County. Do your research because DHS is awesome!

Posted February 20, 2011
Dickinson highschool is a great high school and dont let anyone say otherwise trust me im talking from experience. yes I admit the school has its ups and downs but I have to say I have had one of the best 2 years in my life so far in dhs. its alot of fun the teachers are great now dont get me wrong there are teachers in there who are doing the job just to get their paid check but mostly the teachers are great I hav had the most amazing and helpful teachers and i will never forget them. i have just recently moved away from jersey city to piscataway nj and i hav to say the thing i miss the most is dhs if you think dhs is horrible boy your wrong you have no idea its the most incompitent staff iv ever seen the teachers are horrible not helpful at all there are very few that are good and the school itself isnt good at all its dispicable. for those who are coming into dhs appreciate it and enjoy every moment and for those of you that are still in dhs stop complaining.

William L. Dickinson High School 1

Posted February 13, 2011
I am currently a student at DHS. I take AP classes and many Honors classes. To say I have a high GPA compared to those in regular classes is a shame. I am embarrassed to say that I am attend DHS. Some teachers curse aloud and have no respect for the administration, not that they deserve any. The administration, including principals, vice principle, CITs, guidance counselors, and even security guards, are full of flaws. As a junior struggling to get a better education, I still have no idea how DHS is still running. A word to the wise, try getting into Country Prep, High Tech, or McNair; it's not worth spending four years here..

Posted February 03, 2011
Dickinson High School is a wonderful high school. I graduated in 1987 and now my child attends and will be graduating in 2013. The teachers are great. As a parent, you tell the teachers what you expect of your child and let them know your child's weakness. Always ask for interim reports, and always attend Open House to discuss your child's grades. Show involvement in your child's life and the teachers will do the same. Make sure your child participates in afterschool activities and clubs. They will make great friends who are interested in the same thing they are. I have no regrets about Dickinson. I only wish they would have the kids tests, grades, attendance, homework assignments, etc. accessible for the parents through a computer system in which we can access daily. This way we as parents can keep track of our child's progress and make sure ALL of their homework is completed.

William L. Dickinson High School 5

Posted January 12, 2011
I am a current senior in this school. I love it. It may be dirty and we may have any fights and issues but I love it. The teachers are decent and the extra curricular clubs and activities are great. Don't blame the school and teachers for how the students act. The students make the school look bad. Despite what people may believe, not every student that attends Dickinson is an animal. Half of us are non violent and only want to get an education. Most of the teachers are helpful and know what they are doing. The classes are interesting and the past of the school is interesting. I never once regretted attending William L. Dickinson high school. I have made many great friends and I have learned so much. I have even met my boyfriend of three years their and now we are engaged to be married soon. I LOVE DICKINSON HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

William L. Dickinson High School
2 Palisade Ave, Jersey City, NJ  07306
Last modified William L. Dickinson High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
William L. Dickinson High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top