No rating

Holy Family School

Private | PK-8 | 250 students

Our school is best known for our family atmosphere.

Living in Lakewood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $203,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted June 11, 2014

I'm a graduate if the Class of 2013, and I have to say HFS was the best thing that ever happened to me. The memories, people I met and have become friends with over the years has made me a better person. I haven't visited the place in a year, but I have heard that a lot of changes have been made. I do not support the fact that religion is not considered a real class anymore and that the middle school schedules have been completely changed making it much more confusing. No offense, by the school is going downhill. I'm extremely upset and sad to say that I give this place another 2 years or so before it finally closes down. It's a shame it's become like this.

Posted March 16, 2014

Holy family is faith-based and spirit filled. The teachers are well educated and provide the students with different techniques in the classroom that allow the children to not only have structure but discipline in other areas of their life. We are set apart from any other school with the activities and small class sizes that we offer. My daughter, in particular ,happens to love the music she receives both in the classroom and at church, because many other schools do not offer this type of culture and enrichment. We are fortunate to have new administration this year and our principal has been an extreme asset to the school and the community. He has worked diligently with the pastor in helping the school and parish become one. Catholic education is extremely important and holy family school will help your child achieve all their goals. Please come check us out!

Posted March 14, 2014

Holy Family is a wonderful school. It's filled with great teachers, faculty, and students. My child gets a great academic, moral, and spiritual education in a safe caring environment. Holy family provides my child with a great foundation that will be with there for life. I highly recommend Holy Family School.

Posted September 2, 2013

My child receives a very thorough and academically sound education at Holy Family. At the same time my child is surrounded by a very caring dedicated school staff, great students, structured environment. She's not just a number. Its like a family. She absolutely loves school. We are very grateful for Holy Family School. Its a great place.

Posted July 16, 2013

I went to holy family school as a student. Most teachers are very friendly, but some are very rude. My friend got yelled at in the face from a substitute. It is better than the Lakewood public school though.

Posted August 13, 2012

Outstanding - nothing better than a Catholic school education! I went to Catholic school, sent my children and now my grandchild attends. We stand behind a Catholic school education!

Posted August 2, 2012

This is the worst school ever! i went to HFS since Pre K and i hated it! Their rules are ridiculous and thir staff is terrible ! please dont send your child there!!!!!

Posted July 22, 2011

I am a new parent bringing my child into this school. For a private school in Lakewood NJ I am very impressed with the staff and most important the parents who welcomed me into the school community. My daughter visited there with me and did not want to leave. She fit right in and I knew right away this was the right choice for her. The staff was very patient and informative which made my decision to send my daughter to Holy Family School easier. I have looked at other private schools, the family atomosphere and caring shows.

Posted October 11, 2010

My daughter has been in Holy Family School since kindergarten. She is now in their middle school and doing very well. I have found the school to provide a safe, loving, Christian environment with small classes and very caring teachers and staff. The school is one of the more affordable private schools in my area, however the education provided is high quality, preparing my daughter for high school and college.

Posted September 23, 2010

I currently attend HFS and I am in 8th grade. It is an okay school, but WAY too much drama, tattle-taling? like really? this is the middle school im talking about. really immature kids. teachers are okay, but tend to get a little too angry sometimes..but some teachers are great!

Posted May 12, 2009

My two children,have attended HFS. I felt they got an excellent education. My older daughter was previously attending a public school and was not getting enough attention but once she started attending HFS ,I could see the changes. Her handwriting became more neater and started getting good grades and ended up getting a scholarship when she graduated. My son also has excelled here. Teachers the Principal are very helpful.a Also the fees is reasonable for a private school. It was hard for us to come up with the fees, but today have not regrets for putting our two children here. We love HFS.

Posted April 9, 2009

Having all 3 children attend from pre-k through graduation (high school senior and sophomore now, only my 7th grader remains in HFS), I can honestly say that the value is immeasurable. The teachers are effective and caring, the administration is now better than ever and PTA and parent volunteers ensure that families get the most out of this small but highly regarded school. We entrusted HFS with our children 14 years ago and have never regreted that decision.

Posted August 25, 2004

this is my family's 3rd years at holy family preschool and we love it. the teachers are excellent, caring, personable, and very patient. The staff is wonderful. my kids love to learn and enjoy going to school there.

Posted June 29, 2004

My daughter has been attending Holy Family since pre-k she is now in 4th grade. my son is in the pre-school here also. I have been very happy with this school - it is a very very loving, caring environment where she not only feels safe and secure but has fun learning. However, as of June 2004, the sisters have left the parish and I do not know what is instore for the school at this point. I am waiting it out for now. I hope things do not change.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 9%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Lee Samaha
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (732) 363-2914

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Humanities
  • Religious
  • Service learning
  • Social justice
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • District Funding
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Diocese of Trenton

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Msgr. Donovan High School