K-5 & Ungraded
Montclair, NJ

Watchung Elementary School 4

Posted May 17, 2013
It seems to me that the rating has been dropping since 2009 as the principal situation has been unstable since about that time. Underwhelmed with current principal. Preferred Dr. T who stayed for 2 years before moving into assitant superintendent position in Newark.

Watchung Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2010
Watchung School is not better than the other schools in Montclair. My child got a better education at another school. Watchung just has a reputation for being better but it's not.

Watchung Elementary School 3

Posted April 29, 2010
I've got to say that my feelings have changed about the school, now that my child is in 4th grade. Up until this point, I have been happy. However, this year I think that the way in which the students are taught in 4th grade (switching teachers) combined with an overly zealous language arts teacher and a lack of understanding as to how to effectively integrate differentiated learning on the part of the teachers, has led to a an inapproriately competitive environment. As a parent, I am very frustrated this year, but overall, I do think Watchung's academics are more like Glen Ridge's than like the rest of Montclair, for better or worse.

Posted September 19, 2009
Great school, extremely active PTA, new principal is doing a nice job. My son's teacher quickly identified an area where he needed more focused instruction and assistance, recommended the STARS program, and he's steadily showing improvement. Very strong parent/teacher communication. Both of my sons love their school.

Watchung Elementary School 0

Posted March 11, 2009
Great School!!!! I think the new Principal is doing a fantastic job!! My children are much happier now. 03/11/09

Posted September 08, 2008

Posted August 01, 2008
Watchung is a wonderful school. Academics are a priority. When my daughter was falling behind, the teacher immediately stepped in to suggest the STARS tutoring program. It was full, so we went outside for help. I appreciate the communication between parents and teachers.

Posted June 12, 2008

Posted January 17, 2008

Posted January 03, 2008
Watchung is an excellent school with a committed and caring staff. The academic program is first rate! The curriculum is challenging (a little test focus). Parent involvement is maxium! The principal is exceptional. Great leadership! We have two children in the district; and Watchung is by far at the top of the list for best overall school. The other schools should take notice!

Watchung Elementary School
14 Garden St, Montclair, NJ  07042
Last modified Watchung Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Watchung Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top