PK-8 & Ungraded
Newark, NJ

Posted April 29, 2014
I have two children that attend this school and it is by far the best public elementary school in newark. The administratrators and teachers are very hard-working and dedicated towards children learning and becoming productive citizens as the grow and move on. Mt. Vernon deserves an A.

Posted November 15, 2013
My school is very unique. I'm new to this school yet I feel like I've been here for a long time. So parents coming from a kids point of view I recommend that u let the kid visit and see the class their going to it will make their decision easier. and parents this school has so many different ethnicities that your child will blend right in its not a all that all this school. I hope you enjoyed my message!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 11, 2011
As a former parent - my experience with this school has been disheartening. A very cold disrespectful and uninviting climate exists at the door. The administrators were virtually invisible to parents & if surveyed you will find, the upper grades are never engaged by them. The older students feel neglected overall. I'm reminded of this year's 8th grade graduation; besides students at the auditorium door passing out programs, there was no hospitality extended to parents by an administrator or staff member. At the close of the commencement a random announcement was made to "wait for your child at the front of the school-they must pick up their diploma in the library" Thank you for coming. No administrator or staff member greeted the parents- in fact, the administrators immediately returned to their respective offices as if there weren't 50-60 parents standing in the 95 degree heat on the front stairs. Theres a very cold, disconnected and uninviting climate that exists here for students and parents alike. This shouldn't be. Manners are free.

Mount Vernon Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2011
I attended Mt. Vernon from the 2nd Grade to the 8th. The school in general is ok. Many of the teachers I had, were good and they had a zeal for teaching. I'm a sophomore in high school now and as I attend other schools, Mt.Vernon really need to step up. Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go to Mt. Vernon. Many of the good teachers left the school and many of the functions that go on are unorganized. You would think that when you go to the main office, the clerks would be friendly and helpful, they are rude and do not address needs. Mt. Vernon is in need of a change. Like I said, I went to this school and passed all my classes with the honor roll, but I just don't like the way things are run here. A good principal, Ms. Malloy is at another school.

Mount Vernon Elementary School 4

Posted May 19, 2011
THIS SCHOOOL IS AWESOME I LOVE BECAUSE I WENT TO THE SCHOOL i HAD A GREAT TIME ATTENDING IT AND LEARNING VARIABLE LESSONS ALSO THEY HAVE A GREAT EDUCATION SYSTEM

Mount Vernon Elementary School 2

Posted August 31, 2010
I would like to know if this year preperation for the 2011 grduation is going to be different from last year. I feel that you did not start earley enough preparing for all the thing that go into graduation. I hope you don't do what you did for last year graduation. As a parent that have to put out the money I think we ned more than a week notice for pictures, rings, and wait less than three month of the school year to prepare a yearbook they have not receive. I came over to the school in January to offer my help. Now I offering my help again to start looking for these things they will need . There are a lot of people out of work , lets think about them.

Posted July 28, 2010
My school years at Mount Vernon have been some of the most disagreeable in my academic career. Incompetent leaders, administrators, and teachers feed negativity into the educational environment by arguing with one another and often venting their feelings of personal frustration on students with condescending remarks. This debases the character of the educational process which is meant to cultivate individuals who should feel comfortable to ask questions and express their ideas and concerns. It also adds hostility into an area that should focus on learning. I found financial priorities out of balance as the school received two automated employee attendance tracking machines while students lacked the sufficient number of science books to accommodate the number of students in the grade. Programs are underfunded, classes are overcrowded, the curriculum teaches below the standard of nation wide schools, and it is nearly impossible to speak with the leader positions of the school.

Posted April 14, 2010

Mount Vernon Elementary School 3

Posted April 28, 2009
I am a parent of a pupil in kindergarten at Mount Vernon in Newark, NJ. When I first enroll my child in that school, I have to say that there was anxiety on my part... I love my daughter's teacher, she is very involve and care about the academic progress of my child; she would tell me about her misbehavior and her progress regularly. However, sometimes I can see a lack of organization on the part of the administration staff. For instance they canceled the photo day at the beginning of the year and waited about the day before to let us know about the new date for the next photo shoot!!!! My daughter had a trip, in New York and they waited the day before to let the parents know about it (they had to dress nice with dressy clothing).

Posted March 01, 2009
This school is not active enough with their students teachers or staff...one day of observation made me realise that my child would be leaving

Mount Vernon Elementary School
142 Mount Vernon Pl, Newark, NJ  07106
(973) 374-2090
Last modified Mount Vernon Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mount Vernon Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top