K-12 & Ungraded|Public charter

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted November 10, 2015
My son has been apart of this school for 2 years and I must say that I expected way more than what is received. Academics are great but there should be much more to learning than English, Science, Math and History. There are no language courses until high school which is ridiculous and no art or music class. The most that is given is Gym (which is done in their regular uniform) and performing art class that is a joke. There are no science fairs or projects that challenge the kids. I need my son to be more well rounded in his studies. Sometimes it seems that students are getting punished for the most ridiculous things and it is not always necessary. Also, the parking for the downtown school is horrible. Even though my son is academically doing well he is not being challenged.

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 11, 2015
I see all kinds of kids attend North Star and they all are treated the same.

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 5

Posted September 11, 2015
The best school system in Essex county.....they have teachers that really care and work very hard all day long.

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 1

Posted March 11, 2015
There is too much stress on student and if a very smart student ur escaped to raise your hand every time and u get in trouble for little things

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 4

Posted November 26, 2014
I think North Star is a Terrific School but this is what I think you can improve on. When a teacher assume he/she heard someone talking or joking around in class he/she should know for sure which scholar it is and not assume who he/she think it is because he/she could be wrong. And if you accuse them, allow them to explain themselves without always cutting them off. This is an on going problem and not just from my child, I know other parents that have the same complaint. My Scholar has High Honors and on more than one occasion, I have considered taking my Scholar out of North Star. You are teaching children, not soldiers.

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 1

Posted August 17, 2014
This school is a very hard and strict school.As a student there I understand what they r trying 2 do but I used 2 love school but now I hate school.They put a lot of stress on me and they make me want 2 die just knowing I have 2 go there. They make me feel as if I'm not good enough and that I'll never be good enough.I have lost a lot of weight going 2 this school due 2 the stress it makes me have.I have alot of self hate 4 myself due 2 this school.If u get in trouble they will yell and spit in ur children's face.They have no patience and the pace in this school is 2 fast.Plz take my warning because this school will tear ur child down like it has done 2 me

Posted April 11, 2014
North star never gave a chance to my son. They lied and broke an innocent child hope to be part of north star academy team. Before and After going through the enrollment process; I was told that each child will be sent to the nearest school depending on the zoning. But I guess that was not the case. I live on zip code 07104 they sent my son all the way to clinton avenue. I have spoken to the principal several times to transfer my son to the nearest school she only wrote down my info and no one never got back to me. I went to the downton campus same running around. They wanted my ten year old to travel miles by himself to go to school. I know that it is a free school but they should try to make it easier for parents particulary when you are a single working mother and do not have anyone to help pick up your child after school. As a parent i believe child safety is very important to our children and teach them how to be independent . my questions are: Is this discrimination? Why they couldn't send him to the nearest school when we live just few blocks away from the downtown school? I still don't understand why? Please help thank you

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 5

Posted April 03, 2014
My daughter attends North Star and I must say she has excelled the most out of my 3 children. I wish all children where educated in these type of systems. North Star is a prime example of excellence in top education here. To all the highly dedicated teachers there. They all deserve high recognition all year round.

Posted March 28, 2014
I have been in this school now for 1 year and a half. Honestly I feel to much pressure there. They say it is bully free but in reality it's not. If you ask your child how really feel about this school they will mostly likely talk about stress they expect you to be perfect 24/7 and I hate. The teachers get mad at you for the stupidest reasons and I feel torched. Ism judged by every one there by my grades not who I am. Before you send your child here ask them if they are okay with stress!!

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 2

Posted January 13, 2014
This school on N. 15TH Middle school is like boot camp please do not make the same mistake I made putting my child in there. They learn and get prepared for college but they torture the kids by putting alot of stress on the child. North Star middle school on 15th street is not for every child in Newark.....The pressure they put on the kids is ridiculous..definitely an uncommon school...learning is suppose to be fun too, they really make it stressful..sorry North Star middle school on 15th...Im transferring my child out and not recommending any child to torture lane!!...they also get too much homework, Im talking packets..your child has to be perfect....no is perfect!

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark
10 Washington Place, Newark, NJ  07102
Last modified North Star Academy Charter School of Newark is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Star Academy Charter School of Newark Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top