K-12 & Ungraded
Newark, NJ
Students enrolled: 1,687

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 1

Posted August 17, 2014
This school is a very hard and strict school.As a student there I understand what they r trying 2 do but I used 2 love school but now I hate school.They put a lot of stress on me and they make me want 2 die just knowing I have 2 go there. They make me feel as if I'm not good enough and that I'll never be good enough.I have lost a lot of weight going 2 this school due 2 the stress it makes me have.I have alot of self hate 4 myself due 2 this school.If u get in trouble they will yell and spit in ur children's face.They have no patience and the pace in this school is 2 fast.Plz take my warning because this school will tear ur child down like it has done 2 me

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 3

Posted April 11, 2014
North star never gave a chance to my son. They lied and broke an innocent child hope to be part of north star academy team. Before and After going through the enrollment process; I was told that each child will be sent to the nearest school depending on the zoning. But I guess that was not the case. I live on zip code 07104 they sent my son all the way to clinton avenue. I have spoken to the principal several times to transfer my son to the nearest school she only wrote down my info and no one never got back to me. I went to the downton campus same running around. They wanted my ten year old to travel miles by himself to go to school. I know that it is a free school but they should try to make it easier for parents particulary when you are a single working mother and do not have anyone to help pick up your child after school. As a parent i believe child safety is very important to our children and teach them how to be independent . my questions are: Is this discrimination? Why they couldn't send him to the nearest school when we live just few blocks away from the downtown school? I still don't understand why? Please help thank you

Posted April 03, 2014
My daughter attends North Star and I must say she has excelled the most out of my 3 children. I wish all children where educated in these type of systems. North Star is a prime example of excellence in top education here. To all the highly dedicated teachers there. They all deserve high recognition all year round.

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 3

Posted March 28, 2014
I have been in this school now for 1 year and a half. Honestly I feel to much pressure there. They say it is bully free but in reality it's not. If you ask your child how really feel about this school they will mostly likely talk about stress they expect you to be perfect 24/7 and I hate. The teachers get mad at you for the stupidest reasons and I feel torched. Ism judged by every one there by my grades not who I am. Before you send your child here ask them if they are okay with stress!!

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark 2

Posted January 13, 2014
This school on N. 15TH Middle school is like boot camp please do not make the same mistake I made putting my child in there. They learn and get prepared for college but they torture the kids by putting alot of stress on the child. North Star middle school on 15th street is not for every child in Newark.....The pressure they put on the kids is ridiculous..definitely an uncommon school...learning is suppose to be fun too, they really make it stressful..sorry North Star middle school on 15th...Im transferring my child out and not recommending any child to torture lane!!...they also get too much homework, Im talking packets..your child has to be perfect....no is perfect!

Posted August 22, 2013
well, i just applied for my son who is going to the 5th grade to North Star, i choose North Star for so many reasons including great academy performance, classroom size, extra curricula activities and so on. i strongly believe is a great school.

Posted May 06, 2013
This is the most awesome school ever!!! The principaland the teachers are the most dedicated people I know. The principal works tirelessly to make sure the curriculum and the teachers are on point and make changes based on the needs of the kids and the desire for all of the children to go to college on a full scholarship. The students can call any of their teachers until 9 pm for help with their homework. Tell me, where would you ever get that?!! They make sure the school is safe, the children are courteous to their classmates, teachers, and parents. No bullying or foolishness is tolerated at all!! They are truly on top of things @ North Star. They don't give any child an excuse not to do well. If you don't do well here it is because the child and/or the parent are not doing their job. Period. GB

Posted April 09, 2013
This is a wonderfull shool I will transfer to this school until the end of the grade

Posted November 18, 2012
What an excellent school to send your child its safe no child is left behind if they struggling in a subject the teacher will stay after school to help wherever subject she needs help in they may have alot of homework but if they don't finish it they would stay after school and complete it. They do not play in this school they teach the students to have manners. They also go on trips educational trips and at the end of the year they may go on a camping trip boat trip its real nice from all the hard work they let them enjoy there self at the end of the year. They get them prepared for college too.

Posted October 27, 2012
This is my daughters second year in north star and she loves her school. Yes it challenging but isnt that what you want for your child. My daughter is in first grade and has been reading since two months after she started kindergarten. Now she is reading on a second grade level and she's doing multiplication and division word problems in the first grade!! I love this school the teachers are great and the curriculum is outstanding a huge step above regular public school. Which i know for a fact because i work in a public school.

North Star Academy Charter School of Newark
10 Washington Place, Newark, NJ  07102
Last modified North Star Academy Charter School of Newark is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Star Academy Charter School of Newark Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top