Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is needed to continue the lessons learned through out the day at home. When scholars go off to college depending on what they want to study, they will be extremely prepared because they have been trained to study and do homework. Plus, homework keeps me informed as a Parent on what my Scholar is learning, The homework amount is just right!

Develops character: Strongly agree

My son is in Kindergarten, he is so proud of being a student at North Star, he takes pride in himself and his school. He has matured so much over the past 11 months. He feels secure and heard in his school. As a new parent I have experienced nothing by honesty and fairness from the Administrators, and my son's teachers. I am so happy I chose this school as my son's first experience in school

As one of the top rated schools in the district, excellence in Academics is their MAIN focus. My son attends North Star and I am so grateful for the curriculum. Extra curricular activities are plentiful in this City, and he is signed up for them. The complaints about the homework and the rigor of the workload for Scholars at North Star is hard to believe, especially when there is such a high waiting list for scholars to get in, so those complaining are not really leaving.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Of course it's too much homework. Every night???? Really??? Listen since when does Quantity prevail over Quality. If you're giving a good Quality education or lecture during the day, you shouldn't need this Quantity of homework at night. At home children should be relaxing/playing outside. Especially when they don't get recess at school.

Well, I have a student here at North Star in Newark and I must say that I am so sorry that I ever picked this school. Academically he excels, but that's it. It's so much more to learning than academics. Where's the art class, gardening, shop, projects, and so forth. This school needs to learn to be More Well Rounded. It's not all about academics. The kids can't even talk to each other. SMH. My child has struggled with the North Star way....still. I still bump heads with them on their policy. Not to mention....they do not even have recess. And they wonder why they are acting up. They need some release time. They have fitness in their school clothes including and the belt is still on. I need to speak to someone who can change the policy in here. Overall I think they are a good school academically...but that's it. This militant style of teaching they have it ridiculous and I don't take it seriously. Tracking the teacher, back straight, feet flat and hands folded all day. That's for the army.

Northstar is a good school for academic reasons, these kids are learning a lot.. The problem is how they are learning... Learning here and trying to keep up is very stressful for alot of thee kids here... They are not allowed to be children and treated like soldiers..if you bow your head, look away while a speaker is talking, or simply just adjust your body posture( because your in school from 7:30 to 4:00 with hardly no break, no fresh air,limited conversation, and anything else that sounds rigid and military) you will be punished... They need to rethink how they treat thee children. Deal with reality and stop living some dream of creating militant individuals.. It's not fair. The staff is always right the student at keys wrong.. Gym is twice out the week, in which , they are not allowed to wear gym clothing, they have to take gym in their uniforms( that are expensive by the way)! They can care less about the parents input, only when it's time to do fundraisers.. Sadly I have keep my child in this school because I'm afraid of regular Newark public schools.. I feel that my child is safer here! But, Northstar has to do better

Amount of homework: Disagree

My child is up past 1 in the morning trying to complete homework...homework on vacations, during breaks, over the summer... Give them a break

Develops character: Disagree

Student are not treated as individuals..not allowed to have an opinion the staff is always right..

My son has been apart of this school for 2 years and I must say that I expected way more than what is received. Academics are great but there should be much more to learning than English, Science, Math and History. There are no language courses until high school which is ridiculous and no art or music class. The most that is given is Gym (which is done in their regular uniform) and performing art class that is a joke. There are no science fairs or projects that challenge the kids. I need my son to be more well rounded in his studies. Sometimes it seems that students are getting punished for the most ridiculous things and it is not always necessary. Also, the parking for the downtown school is horrible. Even though my son is academically doing well he is not being challenged.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I see all kinds of kids attend North Star and they all are treated the same.

Last modified North Star Academy Charter School of Newark is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.