Perth Amboy, NJ

Assumption Catholic School 1

Posted August 16, 2015
As someone who has personally attended this school, I can say with confidence that it is horrible. The education is far below substandard, and the tuition is expensive. The teachers scarcely adhere to any lesson plans and spend most of the day teaching religion. After leaving this school and transferring to a public school, I found myself far behind others. The discrepancy, between the level of education in public schools and this school, is vast. Good primary education is undoubtedly conducive to academic success. Unfortunately, you won't find it in this school. You're better off homeschooling your child than sending him/her to this school.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 16, 2015
Little to no homework is given. I am a firm believer in using homework to reinforce lessons learned in class. However, in this school there is barely any homework given to students.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted August 16, 2015
Teachers have little knowledge on subjects they teach. Most math and science "lessons" are repetitive. Teachers spend anywhere from a couple of weeks to months on each lesson. Moreover, there is no emphasis on academic excellence in this school. If you to hinder your child's academic career, then by all means, send them here.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 16, 2015
The teachers idle a lot. They rarely teach, and the students have a lot of leisure time.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted July 06, 2015
So my child had been in this school since prek and I always paid tuition. This year I had some money trouble and I was told my child couldn't graduate with his classmates unless it was paid. I was harrased for the money and it still continues. The nun there even suggested that I should put my other in a public school . Some of the teachers are great but then you have others that really don't teach. Plus as much time you put into the school there is never any graditude. As a catholic community you ate suppose to show love and compassion which they do not unless it benifits them. I have heard so many families complain and they have lost so many students !

Assumption Catholic School 1

Posted October 20, 2012
worst school i have ever been to. terrible staff. i left that school before the last day of school.

Posted January 27, 2011
My daughter has attended Assumption Catholic since she was in Kindergarten. She is now in Fourth Grade. I am extremely satisfied with the quality of education she has received here and will continue to receive. I love this school so much, that my son now attends Assumption Catholic. He is in Kindergarten and his teacher is the best. It is not crowded like the Perth Amboy Catholic schools. It has a warm, homey feel to it and the students thrive in this environment. I am so happy this school goes up to the eighth grade. This is where they will stay.

Posted February 01, 2010
Allover good schcool.My daughter enjoys attending her kindergarten classes.Classes are small so that helps develop the child learning ability.They offer pre care & after for a small fee.

Posted June 09, 2009
Our daughter attends this wonderful school and has thrived there! The atmosphere of community and caring is one of its very best characteristics! She has excelled there and we could not be happier! The principal, teachers and staff are there for the students and for the parents. Overall, the students are polite, kind and friendly. The teachers strive for academic excellence for all students. the rules are strict, but not harsh. The religious education is part of the program, but it is not overbearing. This school is definitely the best kept secret in the Perth Amboy area. Excellence, individual attention, small class sizes.. all at a very fair and reasonable price! Thank you Assumption Catholic for a job well done!

Posted August 11, 2008
I transferred my daughter to this school when thanks to this wonderful 'no child left behind' law the public school was going to pass her despite the fact she failed Reading and Language Arts all 4 marking periods; when she was in second grade. I spoke to the principle and teacher and decided it was in her best interest to have her repeat the 2nd grade. She is now entering the 6th grade and I haven't looked back. My son now attends the school and I look forward to my 2 year old starting as well. The small classes allow the teachers to take their time and give attention to those that need it. There is also a new principle and he is fantastic!!!!!! Not that the old one wasn't, it's just that you're always nervous with new leadership. The teachers really care and are always willing to work with parents.

Meredith And Jacques Sts, Perth Amboy, NJ  08861
Last modified Assumption Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Assumption Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top