PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Drawing on a rich tradition of Quaker values and practices, Princeton Friends School is committed to creating a diverse, vibrant learning community in which young people engage their natural curiosity; discover and express their individual voices and gifts; acquire intellectual, physical, artistic, and life skills; and develop a sense of responsibility for themselves and others. Princeton Friends both prepares students for the world that is and models possibilities for the society that these young people will one day help to create.
November 18, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted April 28, 2016
My two (now 20-something) children attended Princeton Friends from PK through 8th grade, so we were PFS parents for 15 years. The school is just the right mix of nurturing community and stimulating academics. It is small enough and adheres to the Quaker value of respecting each voice enough to allow real differentiation of instruction and exploration of all kinds, including of its idyllic setting, (the Stony Brook, the Institute Woods and the 18th century Friends Meetinghouse). My children graduated with a self-confidence as well as study and communications skills that served them well (and impressed their teachers) at the local large, academically rigorous public high school. More importantly, they have become bright, caring adults who feel strongly about making the world a better place, thanks in great part to their spending so many of their influential years at PFS.

Posted April 27, 2016
My son is completing the second grade at PFS and it is a fantastic school. He is exploring all of his interests in a nurturing atmosphere. His teachers care about him and understand who he is and the specials are wonderful. Really an excellent program all around and we are very happy to be here.

Posted April 25, 2016
Our daughter attended PFS from first to eighth grade. Those eight years of tuition were the best investment we ever made. She’s now an adult who works in nonprofit fundraising in New York. I think so much of who she is, so many of her best qualities, were developed at Princeton Friends. One of the things I like best about the school is that it refuses the sorting function that’s obvious in mainstream education: you’re smart, her not so much; you’re artistic, he’s good at math; you can sing, she can’t. At Princeton Friends, everyone’s an artist, a scientist, a mathematician, a creative writer. I see that omnivorous curiosity in our daughter. I also see the values—call them Quaker values—that PFS so powerfully emphasizes: genuine respect for others, a desire to see a more peaceful and fairer world, an ease around people of all ages. I’m a college professor, but it’s clear to me that college has relatively little effect on students compared to the effect that a purposeful elementary school education, like that at PFS, can have.

Posted April 22, 2016
I went to PFS from 4th to 8th grade. PFS taught me a deep love of learning, and nurtured my hunger for exploration. I was never a very happy kid in school, and in the school I was before I spent a lot of time rebelling against the rigid structure. I was put in remedial reading, and basically didn't do my homework. At PFS I was allowed to explore, and was taught in a way that worked with my offbeat learning style. I discovered my love of music and learned how to work with my peers even across wide differences. I went on to PDS and now study astrophysics and help operate the Hubble Space Telescope. I wish I could give PFS all the stars, not just 5.

Posted April 22, 2016
I attended Princeton Friends School from 1st to 8th grade. It was a phenomenal experience for me and my family. It taught me to love learning, and more importantly to love myself. Growing up with a physical disability, made things difficult at times, but at Princeton Friends School I never dealt with bullying and the teachers and students treated everyone like family. I went from PFS to a highly rated private high school in Princeton where I was fully prepared, both academically and socially. I then went on to a top 50 University. I can't thank Princeton Friends School enough for teaching me to love to learn, and learn to love.

Princeton Friends School 1

Posted March 11, 2016
My 11 year old son attended PFS for 4 years and thank goodness we listened to parents of the 8th grade class. Their disappointment was alarming. Students are not exposed to adequate academic structure. Lack of test prep and a well rounded curriculum puts PFS students at a disadvantage when applying to independent high schools in the Princeton area. My son is currently doing well in another private middle school and will be a good candidate for high school because we moved him last year. Many students at PFS have undiagnosed learning difference and parents that ignore their issues. Constant turnover in teaching staff should be a big red flag to anyone looking at this school for their children. There are many other schools in the Princeton area that teach children in a nurturing community that encourage life long learning. Princeton Friends school is not one of them!

Posted November 18, 2015
I have two children at Princeton Friends School. The school provides a rich intellectual environment. There are many opportunities to delve deeply into a subject. The curriculum also helps students gain skills that will help them throughout their academic careers. Though the emphasis is not on testing, students learn to take tests. They learn how to take notes and organize their work. In addition, students learn how to work together and give and receive constructive criticism. The school isn't all about academics. There are many opportunities for fun throughout the school year.The school days and school year are punctuated by fun activities and events. Its obvious that both teachers and children love going to school The faculty and administration strive to meet individual learning needs. This is difficult to do in a small school. I am impressed with the relationship that my children have developed with their teachers. This relationship is characterized by mutual respect and concern. My children have learned to trust that the teachers are there to help and guide them. This school fosters a strong sense of school community and also promotes community service in the wider Princeton community. The curriculum explicitly addresses how to navigate complex social issues. These aspects of the PFS education help the students develop into responsible, compassionate human beings.

Develops honesty: no rating

- a school leader
There are three principles we live by every day at Princeton Friends School. We call them our core values: Respect for All, Lifelong Learning, and Responsibility in the World. Practicing Respect for All, we honor the unique gifts of every individual, as we celebrate the diversity of human experience. Lifelong Learning reminds us that intellectual growth and discovery are the work of a lifetime. And Responsibility in the World speaks to our commitment to live in harmony with the beliefs that have guided Quakers for more than three centuries: simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, and stewardship.

- a school leader

Posted November 16, 2015
Princeton Friends School (PFS) is truly a unique place. Their integration of proven educational strategies and curriculum with a genuine commitment to developing the whole child have made a difference for my son. The teachers and staff have been nothing short of collaborative and open. Together we have problem solved ways to move my son forward in areas he excels and meet him where he is when the need be. I am grateful each day that our son has the opportunity to learn in an environment that is compassionate, creative and open, while still maintaining educational rigor.

470 Quaker Road, Princeton, NJ  08540
Last modified Princeton Friends School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8