Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

As a parent of children at Maugham, I am highly disappointed with the school. I agree that there are few quality teachers committed to educating students there. The vast majority, however, are just happy to be there, focus on pleasing the affluent children and their "involved" parents, have no grasp of diversity issues, and benefit from parents who pay a ton of for private tutoring. You better be very well off because your child will need tutoring. I truly believe the "10" rating is a direct result of the extensive and costly private tutoring. More "show" than substance. Regret moving to this town. Sorry, but it's 10000000% true.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I can count on one hand the teachers known to be solid and dedicated. The rest are there because they are there.

Develops character: Neutral

Too many instances of favoritism based on factors unrelated to education. Will say no more.

Some of the teachers in the school are amazing, while others are almost "awful". There is no consistency and some children will learn a great deal during the year, while others will fall VERY behind due to poor teachers. This is felt by most parents whom I speak with. The principal will always take the teacher's side, even when it is clear that the parents are right.

I'm am a fellow Maugham School student. Years went by very fast from 1st grade to 5th grade and my knowledge has grown a lot. This is the best school you can go to in Tenafly in my opinion, I have enjoy Maugham School and I always will, I feel like this is my a home. Especially with my great friends. I thank my teachers for teaching me and helping with everything else. Not only teaching but there is even fun activities, Like after school programs and programs like art madness. I will be going to the middle school soon and I will be missing Maugham school. I will not forget to visit again once in a while. THANK YOU!

I agree with the previous poster. Maugham school is a gem in many many ways. But today I'm posting on something that I find troubling -- they used to be very friendly to parents, but now don't let parents in citing safety. Again a valid point. However, it appears to apply only to some parents. On one occassion I had a good reason to go into the school office and my child was standing next to me. I explained to the teacher standing guard at the door I am going to the nurse's office, but she was quite adamant about not letting me in. Why, you may ask, is this a problem? So what if she's hostile to one parent. Well it could happen to you, but let's look at the larger issue. People who place a premium on how someone looks and talks, people who make snap judgments are themselves a security threat and should avoid holding positions like 'security advisor' and standing guard anywhere. I'm sure she's a great teacher. Memo to parents and the bogey man I keep hearing about, all you have to do is smile and be friendly and she'll let you in. Yeah you can catch more flies with honey, and we all try. But what about safety?

Maugham allows my kids to grow in all aspects of life. My shy daughter can get up in front of the whole school and act on stage or play the flute in a duet. I wish I was taught like that!

Last modified Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.