Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School 2

Posted June 10, 2016
As a parent of children at Maugham, I am highly disappointed with the school. I agree that there are few quality teachers committed to educating students there. The vast majority, however, are just happy to be there, focus on pleasing the affluent children and their "involved" parents, have no grasp of diversity issues, and benefit from parents who pay a ton of for private tutoring. You better be very well off because your child will need tutoring. I truly believe the "10" rating is a direct result of the extensive and costly private tutoring. More "show" than substance. Regret moving to this town. Sorry, but it's 10000000% true.

Grateful to: Student

Posted June 10, 2016
My children were blessed to have encountered two teachers in the years there that have been willing to really spend the time to work with them. Those were the only years my children seem to actually enjoy learning.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted June 10, 2016
I can count on one hand the teachers known to be solid and dedicated. The rest are there because they are there.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 10, 2016
No. How can it when the teachers mostly lack that quality? The result is that parents simply pay for tutoring rather than ask the teachers to be more dedicated.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 10, 2016
Too many instances of favoritism based on factors unrelated to education. Will say no more.

Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School 3

Posted February 07, 2016
Some of the teachers in the school are amazing, while others are almost "awful". There is no consistency and some children will learn a great deal during the year, while others will fall VERY behind due to poor teachers. This is felt by most parents whom I speak with. The principal will always take the teacher's side, even when it is clear that the parents are right.

Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School 5

Posted April 16, 2014
I'm am a fellow Maugham School student. Years went by very fast from 1st grade to 5th grade and my knowledge has grown a lot. This is the best school you can go to in Tenafly in my opinion, I have enjoy Maugham School and I always will, I feel like this is my a home. Especially with my great friends. I thank my teachers for teaching me and helping with everything else. Not only teaching but there is even fun activities, Like after school programs and programs like art madness. I will be going to the middle school soon and I will be missing Maugham school. I will not forget to visit again once in a while. THANK YOU!

Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School 3

Posted December 14, 2010
I agree with the previous poster. Maugham school is a gem in many many ways. But today I'm posting on something that I find troubling -- they used to be very friendly to parents, but now don't let parents in citing safety. Again a valid point. However, it appears to apply only to some parents. On one occassion I had a good reason to go into the school office and my child was standing next to me. I explained to the teacher standing guard at the door I am going to the nurse's office, but she was quite adamant about not letting me in. Why, you may ask, is this a problem? So what if she's hostile to one parent. Well it could happen to you, but let's look at the larger issue. People who place a premium on how someone looks and talks, people who make snap judgments are themselves a security threat and should avoid holding positions like 'security advisor' and standing guard anywhere. I'm sure she's a great teacher. Memo to parents and the bogey man I keep hearing about, all you have to do is smile and be friendly and she'll let you in. Yeah you can catch more flies with honey, and we all try. But what about safety?

Posted September 16, 2009
Maugham allows my kids to grow in all aspects of life. My shy daughter can get up in front of the whole school and act on stage or play the flute in a duet. I wish I was taught like that!

Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School 5

Posted February 12, 2006
Maugham School is a gem! The excellent teachers and staff are truly caring. There is a happy and respectful atmosphere at the school. I have been a Maugham parent for ten years and, yes, the school population has grown enormously and it is no longer a small school but the heart and pride and desire to have each child excel to his/her full potential is still there. Some 'old timer' parents feel that the school has changed so much since it has grown from 200+ students to 400+ students in the last 10 years (due to new housing development) but it is still a diverse and caring community with involved, enthusiastic and talented parents. Principals don't come much better than Dr. Ben-Dov. It's a happy place.

111 Magnolia Ave, Tenafly, NJ  07670
Last modified Ralph S. Maugham Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.