Union Senior High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 11 students

Posted July 15, 2014

I am currently a sophomore at union high school and the environment is excellent i juts wish that Dr. Martin wouldn't be leaving us.

Posted October 26, 2013

My children enjoyed their time at UHS. They delved into the fields of art and music. They nor I can believe any of the negative sayings or feelings given by others. I so love Dr. Martin's old school beliefs regarding reading, writing, and arithmetic. No student should lra e school not knowing how to read. I enjoy the band, the orchestra, the jazz band, and the memorable plays. Other schools try to emulate UHS plays but I've not been impressed. May Dr. Martin, Ms Muller, Mr. Demetriou (to name a few) all stay around for a while because the students, parents and the Union community needed you

Posted April 8, 2013

I have no idea why my review was over-ridden. To keep it short, education was bad. Student body was not ambitious or driven, and had no respect for teachers and the appearance/reputation of the school. Pros: smart kids will benefit from lack of competition, get high weighted grades/class rankings, and ultimately go to good universities. Also, their extracurricular activities aren't so bad.

Posted October 7, 2012

I sent my son off freshman year with apprehension to Union High. He is now a senior and I feel the school system has been excellent. Many people are afraid of the diversity of this school system. If nothing else it has certainly added to his educational experience. I admit initially I was uncertain. The faculty, guidance counselors and the rest of the staff have been outstanding. This school has everything to offer you have to be willing to put the time and effort into it.

Posted May 9, 2012

I went to Union High School for three years and it was the most increable experince in my entire life the teachers weren't just teachers they were my friends and even though the school was labeled 'ghetto' everybody got along. I was really upset I had to go to Roselle Park High School I really wanted to finish up in UHS not only because I knew everyone and they knew me becasue really I had more acdedemic options and a wonderful 3 years I would give anything to finish my Senior year (2011) in UHS. Despite it's flawless.

Posted May 13, 2010

I am currently a senior at UHS. I must say within the past four years of my high school career this school has gone downhill. In 2006 this school was filled with various programs to help you build a successful future either through college or anything else. It valued its AP students, its C.A.S.T and Allied Health Programs and etc. However as the years progressed the school's environment decreased. Students from other townships entered and disturbed the traditionally values and the students of Union. There were more failures and less AP students. More bathroom restrictions and less privileges. In the end we've reached a point where electives and AP and Honors courses are being cut because there are not enough students taking these classes and too many kids have failed state tests. I am totally displeased with the current and future states of the school.

Posted March 2, 2009

I am currently a senior attending Union High School and have witnessed the changes over the years. I find my high school experience extremely enriching. This mainly correlates with the fact that I have had honors and AP classes all my life. Senior year there were not many courses that I was interested in that were honors or AP so I opted to take 'regular' classes for a change. Some teachers spoon-feed their students more than others, which can be a good and bad thing. Union High School also offers a competitive JROTC program, athletics, clubs and PAC. I have participated in most of them and students that do not get involved really miss out. I do, however, realize that the administration is not always at its best. My year, class of 2009, has experienced the most changes when it comes to UHS protocol.

Posted February 26, 2009

As a junior, I went to one of the best schools in Henrico County,Virginia (Godwin High School) and moved to Jersey and went to this school. At first it was a BIG culture shock because the school was so diverse and my old school was mostly white, but that is why i loved it so much. Academics here are a joke, atleast compared to my old school. The school is kind of 'ghetto', i have never been to a school where there was atleast 2 fights per week, and i have never been to a school where ceilings are falling because they are leaking ! All in all, i loved my experience here. The teachers were so nice and helpful ! I recently moved back to VA and really wish i could have stayed because i loved it here so much

Posted February 25, 2009

I am currently a sophomore in Union High and I have to say, despite a few derelicts, this is a very good school. The teachers actually do challenge you, even in remedial classes (from what I have heard.) This school offers a wide variety of electives and advanced placement classes, some of which will give college credits at both UCC and Seton Hall. While this school is known for its JROTC program and we are the number one unit in the state, we are no longer the number 1 drill team. Rahway high has the best... My only real complaint is the ceiling. It is leaking and the school board refuses to repair it.

Posted October 19, 2008

I just moved out of Union last year, and everyday I miss it. The school I attend now is suppose to provide me with more college opportunites, but I oppose of that everyday. This is because Union provides Honors and AP to students so early on, 8th grade to be exact, which prepares them to be in Honors and AP courses later in their high school careers. The teachers always challenge you, but if you do need help, they wouldn't hesistate to help. It's true that some students seem to put a bad reputation on Union, but I believe they are such a small percentage. Everyone that I met in Union High School seem very educated and proper. I never disliked Mondays all because the atmosphere around Union was so comfortable. Therefore, please don't believe that Union is becoming innercity because it has so much to offer and everyone is friendly.

Posted May 27, 2008

My friends and i are juniors, and we sit at lunch and discuss how we are the last civilized class year in the school. Personally we feel the school is going downhill each year in quality. I still like Union Highschool because i've been in the Union school system all my life but i have a feeling that when i graduate it's just going to be another inner city school with bad grades and troublesome students.

Posted September 4, 2007

Personally, I'm sorry we didn't move out of Union, 15 years ago when I wanted to just so that my children wouldn't have to go to Union High School. My children are not getting the education they should be getting because teachers have to spend a great deal of time calming students down before actually being able to begin teaching. I, as a decent parent, have taught my children not to misbehave in school or anywhere else and also not to start trouble. They are therefore, a minority in the school system. I strongly feel that if children do not want to be in school for the education they are entitled to, then they should not be allowed to go to school and disrupt the students that do behave and want to learn and further their educations and lives.

Posted August 31, 2007

This school has a little bit of everything. I just graduated from there a couple years ago and I can tell you every year it gets worser and worser. But if your kid can overcome peer prssure and just worry about himself and his school work he should be alright.

Posted March 12, 2006

While there are excellent programs, the level of student is declining. I suppose if a student truly wants to learn they can, but I feel there should be as few distractions as possible, and this is not always the case in this school. The teachers are great, but can be overwhelmed by the lack of cooperation from students who would rather not be there.

Posted February 23, 2006

I am a former student of Union High School recently graduated and honestly I don't know where certain parents are talking about Union High School corrupting their students. I went there and received an good education. The principal is great. He has a very difficult job of running a very large high school with more than 2000 kids. Yes there are some bad seeds, but what high school is perfect. Kids who become unruly are unruly because of the types of people they chose to hang with. There are many activites to join including the excellent music programs. In the end I was accepted into many good schools such as Villanova, Penn State, TCNJ, and Pepperdine.

Posted September 21, 2005

I love Union high school. This high school is very diverse. My daughter love the classes offered and most of her teachers. Musical theater is outstanding.

Posted February 19, 2005

I am a former student of UHS. UHS is not a school that i think you would want to go to if you had another option. The students are unruly, even though they have 'security' the security just walks around, socialize and break up fights here and there. I transfered there from an excellent school my senior year. The teachers are no help they act like they will only help you when its convienent for them. The principal(whom never leaves his office) and the 4 vice principals do nothing but pacify situations and student concerns are not concerns of theirs. I did not make a great transformation there and about 1/2 the guidence counselors they have there play favorite and will help one more then the other. I think they need to be more involved with the student body!

Posted January 15, 2005

I enroller my duaghter into Union High School and she has succeded in many courses. She is now getting her masters degree in scince. Ever since she came to union she has had a great time here meetinf new people but still keeping up with her grades. She also met alot of her culture portuguese people.

Posted January 9, 2005

I have 2 children in the high school and a 3rd recently graduated. I could not be more pleased. The breadth of offering is incomparable to the local catholic high schools where for between 30k and 50k you can get into the very same colleges the HS graduates are. Is the school not without problems, of course not, but what school is? Parents need to get involved and stay involved for all 4 years. If you're not pleased with a teacher tell them, if you're kid isn't working to their potential tell someone. If you're concerned the school has become unruly, do something about it. You pay taxes, you're entitled! By the way, I have one kid who is a scholar, one an athlete and one a plain old hard working middle of the road kid. They've all found their niche! See if the privates can match that.

Posted January 8, 2005

I'm a current student at union high school. I can honestly say that i'm very happy there. Yes, i also am a white male. I feel that any parent who has dire comments about this schools is overreacting. Yes, there are fights at union high school. But yes, there are also fights at westfield high. The number of fights have decreased dramatically when mr. Fortunato instituted his zero tolerance program. Honestly, if you get into a fight there must be a good reason why. Everybody leaves each other alone unless you provoke something. I have many friends that are african-american and i have many friends of different ethnicity. I see nothing wrong with the school except that there are too many classes to choose from. I currently am taking a sports marketing class, a business law class and a forensics class. Does it prepare you for life? Yes.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

572 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

572 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

English language learners50%
Non-migrantn/a
Limited English Proficient Current Plus Former50%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

638 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

English language learners20%
Non-migrant57%
Limited English Proficient Current Plus Formern/a

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

SAT participation

SAT college ready

Graduation rate

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, ACT/SAT participation, and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A34%

• Mr Edward Gibbons

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2350 North Third Street