PK-4 & Ungraded
Union, NJ

Posted June 19, 2013
Washington School has a strong PTA, devoted to the excellence for our student body. Washington's students excel academically and are well-behaved.

Posted May 30, 2013
Wonderful students and excellent Principal. Nice area of town, safety first school. Lovely landscaping and play area.

Washington Elementary School 1

Posted December 19, 2010
The most horrific experience of our lives! If your child is healthy, he/she will do fine in this or any other school. However, if your child has moderate special needs, please consider another school. The principal is immature and inept, and now that Jeranek has been gone for several years the school did not meet AYP. School will likely continue to decline.

Posted June 02, 2009

Posted November 05, 2008
I love washington school..I have one child there, and one who is a graduate!..I am looking foward to my little one starting there as well. This school has a great family atmosphere in addition to the excellent teachers and prinicpal!!

Posted October 01, 2008
I am a proud mother of three sons who all go to Washington school and I am so pleased and thankful for the teachers and the education that my children have received. Teachers, as well as parents, are very involved in enhancing the learning experience and creating a positive environment condusive to learning. Philanthropy is ingrained in the school's philosophy and all the children get involved.

Posted January 30, 2008
I am a parent of a child in Washington School. I have been more than pleased with his education, and with the excellent extracurricular activities (Heritage Night, etc.) provided, as well as the promotion of civic duties. I have found the new principal, Mr. Hoyt, to be intelligent as well as professional. I have found his insight to be on the mark, and believe Washington School will prosper under his direction. There are many parents involved in the school, and that makes all the difference. It is my duty as a parent to foster respect in my children, and it is my experience that Washington School reinforces that. I understand that educators have changed over the years, with unions and contracts taking over, but that does not apply to every teacher. All in all, it is my responsibility to raise my children, and the school system to educate ....

Posted January 22, 2008
Washington is an excellent school and the district attracts families because of its reputation. Yes, there are over-crowded classrooms (28 kids in K'garden) and yes, we miss the old principal Mr. Jeranek (let's allow the new man to grow into the role; true, his letters home aren't impressive); still, our experience of the teachers and the other kids is very positive. The remark about the PTA being a social club is totally off the mark. W. is a great school because of the awesome effort the parents put into the school. Two years ago an entire computer lab was given to the school from money raised by the parents. Activities such as math night and heritage night draw crowds. Most parents belong to the PTA. I'm proud of sending my children to public schools of this caliber, and I consider us lucky.

Posted December 02, 2007
I am not only a parent, but I am a former student of Washington school. I think we are blessed to have the wonderful school we have. I have had one positive experience after another! The teachers are awesome, the office staff is knowledgeable, and the principal is working hard to continue our history of excellence! I believe our PTA, parents and staff work together in an amazing daily effort to provide the students with the best possible education and special events. While a student at Washington, I learned to love reading, writing, how to value education, great citizenship and how to be an asset to my community. I truly believe my children have been taught the same. Washington School isn't just bricks and mortar, it is a home away from home for our students, filled with a secondary family!! I am proud to be an alumni, pta member, and parent!

Washington Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2007
I think Washington is a great school, when it comes to education. BUT the teachers and staff do not value the parents as equal partners. Now the school has a new principal and he seems to agree with this approach. The letters that come home are very condescending and the parents are spoken to as if they are children. The parents are NEVER consulted. The PTA is a social club for a select few. Your child will receive a great education, but he or she will learn NOTHING about how to respect others and treat everyone with dignity and respect.

Washington Elementary School
301 Washington Avenue, Union, NJ  07083
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top