Posted March 04, 2014
We relocated to ABQ in summer of 2013 from Northern Virginia where we enjoyed living in a very good school district with high demands. We chose Desert Ridge MS for our daughter as we heard many good things about the school. Now after 1/2 year of enrollment, we are very pleased to report that this was and still is a great choice. All of our daughters classes have been great so far with teachers who are going above and beyond. If a student is ready to learn, there are ample opportunities and all doors are open at this school. The principal is doing a great job encouraging his students on a daily basis and the administration is great to work with as well. The only thing the school is missing is LANGUAGES. Starting languages early on is very important, even if this is done as an after school program. Besides academics the school offers great after school programs such as cross country, track, etc.

Desert Ridge Middle School 2

Posted April 05, 2013
I went to this school all three years and it was horrible. I had some really bad teachers that didn't teach me anything, the teachers didn't pay much attention, and they didn't pay much attention to the students.

Desert Ridge Middle School 4

Posted March 28, 2013
My child has not had the problems with bullying mentioned here. In fact she thinks it is a much friendlier place than the school she went to in a different state. Her gifted classes and advanced classes are challenging and fun. Some of the math teachers we have experienced here are really amazing. I would say that the new principal is not good at answering emails from parents or dealing with teachers who are sub-par. Don't get me wrong, most teachers here are very good, but we have experienced a couple of horrendous teachers, and many, many parents have complained and yet those teachers are still teaching at Desert Ridge. For this I blame an administration that is unwilling to deal properly with these situations.

Desert Ridge Middle School 1

Posted April 22, 2011
I could not agree more with the post from March 24, 2011. It is almost like you are living my life and have experienced the exact same things. Like you, we are also moving or I would move my child as well. Thanks for your post and observations, it is nice to know I am not the only parent of DRMS that feels this way. The bullying is the breaker for me and is why this school has been rated unsatisfactory. If a school cannot take a stand against bullies, at the price of my child's safety, then nothing else matters.

Desert Ridge Middle School 3

Posted March 24, 2011
Most teachers are wonderful especially in accelerated courses and gifted; however there are others teaching regular classes that are on auto pilot and are no longer challenging the students.They need to retire and let new fresh teachers take over. They look the other way to kids bullying and when a parent complains they say it is our child's fault. Their no tolerance policy for bullying is not enforced. The regular classes are almost a joke. My child rarely has homework yet the accelerated classes are fun and challenging. The drama, bullying, and dating issues at this school are out of control. We chose this school because of test scores and have been greatly disappointed in the lack of morals of the student body. They are a mean and spiteful bunch who are not getting any direction from home on how to behave and how to treat people. Oh, there is LOTS of parent volunteers but this does not make it a great school. Luckily we are moving or I would be moving my child to private school next year because of the bullying, name calling, and lack of friendliness.

Posted March 30, 2010
this is a great school you can have hobbies and there is definitely a club for your interests like cooking club or science club whatever it is you can do just about anything as an incoming 6th grader i thought that middle school would be hard, but the teachers give you time in class to do all the work your grade is based on homework and class projects. Homework is not graded by a teacher but by you. But your teacher cheeks to see if you did it all first. You cant turn in you homework late but as i said you can do it in class. I think that this is a great school for all students who want to learn!

Posted January 20, 2010

Posted November 06, 2009
We recently moved here from California and are amazed by the positive difference. I have a 6th grader and an 8th grader here - my 6th grader is blossoming at DRMS and tells me that she loves school. My 8th grader tells me that this school is WAY better than what he left in CA. 90% of the teachers are very experienced and professional - the principal is responsive and sensitive, too. Teachers are accessible and let parents know what is happening. Discipline is reasonable and fair. Lots of extra-curricular activities. Beautiful facilities - all in all, even better than we had hoped for.

Posted October 23, 2009

Desert Ridge Middle School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
Grandson, Brandon found great friends here. He joined the chess club,had a fantastic art teacher, learned tons and won some races in gym. We have 6 kids & l7 grandkids & have been on the boards of many school but this school was fantastic!

Desert Ridge Middle School
8400 Barstow NE, Albuquerque, NM  87125
Last modified Desert Ridge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Ridge Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.