Bad
Good

We relocated to ABQ in summer of 2013 from Northern Virginia where we enjoyed living in a very good school district with high demands. We chose Desert Ridge MS for our daughter as we heard many good things about the school. Now after 1/2 year of enrollment, we are very pleased to report that this was and still is a great choice. All of our daughters classes have been great so far with teachers who are going above and beyond. If a student is ready to learn, there are ample opportunities and all doors are open at this school. The principal is doing a great job encouraging his students on a daily basis and the administration is great to work with as well. The only thing the school is missing is LANGUAGES. Starting languages early on is very important, even if this is done as an after school program. Besides academics the school offers great after school programs such as cross country, track, etc.

I went to this school all three years and it was horrible. I had some really bad teachers that didn't teach me anything, the teachers didn't pay much attention, and they didn't pay much attention to the students.

My child has not had the problems with bullying mentioned here. In fact she thinks it is a much friendlier place than the school she went to in a different state. Her gifted classes and advanced classes are challenging and fun. Some of the math teachers we have experienced here are really amazing. I would say that the new principal is not good at answering emails from parents or dealing with teachers who are sub-par. Don't get me wrong, most teachers here are very good, but we have experienced a couple of horrendous teachers, and many, many parents have complained and yet those teachers are still teaching at Desert Ridge. For this I blame an administration that is unwilling to deal properly with these situations.

I could not agree more with the post from March 24, 2011. It is almost like you are living my life and have experienced the exact same things. Like you, we are also moving or I would move my child as well. Thanks for your post and observations, it is nice to know I am not the only parent of DRMS that feels this way. The bullying is the breaker for me and is why this school has been rated unsatisfactory. If a school cannot take a stand against bullies, at the price of my child's safety, then nothing else matters.

Most teachers are wonderful especially in accelerated courses and gifted; however there are others teaching regular classes that are on auto pilot and are no longer challenging the students.They need to retire and let new fresh teachers take over. They look the other way to kids bullying and when a parent complains they say it is our child's fault. Their no tolerance policy for bullying is not enforced. The regular classes are almost a joke. My child rarely has homework yet the accelerated classes are fun and challenging. The drama, bullying, and dating issues at this school are out of control. We chose this school because of test scores and have been greatly disappointed in the lack of morals of the student body. They are a mean and spiteful bunch who are not getting any direction from home on how to behave and how to treat people. Oh, there is LOTS of parent volunteers but this does not make it a great school. Luckily we are moving or I would be moving my child to private school next year because of the bullying, name calling, and lack of friendliness.

this is a great school you can have hobbies and there is definitely a club for your interests like cooking club or science club whatever it is you can do just about anything as an incoming 6th grader i thought that middle school would be hard, but the teachers give you time in class to do all the work your grade is based on homework and class projects. Homework is not graded by a teacher but by you. But your teacher cheeks to see if you did it all first. You cant turn in you homework late but as i said you can do it in class. I think that this is a great school for all students who want to learn!

We recently moved here from California and are amazed by the positive difference. I have a 6th grader and an 8th grader here - my 6th grader is blossoming at DRMS and tells me that she loves school. My 8th grader tells me that this school is WAY better than what he left in CA. 90% of the teachers are very experienced and professional - the principal is responsive and sensitive, too. Teachers are accessible and let parents know what is happening. Discipline is reasonable and fair. Lots of extra-curricular activities. Beautiful facilities - all in all, even better than we had hoped for.

Grandson, Brandon found great friends here. He joined the chess club,had a fantastic art teacher, learned tons and won some races in gym. We have 6 kids & l7 grandkids & have been on the boards of many school but this school was fantastic!

I second the May 26th review--the extracurricular activities are great--the discipline is good, but I am a little puzzled by the use of class time for homework and the lack of writing and longer term projects. Unfortunately, I believe that this is more a reflection of the standards in New Mexico. The teachers are great and up until recently, had alot of flexibility in designing their curriculum. Unfortunately, the school is being forced more and more by APS and NLCB to adopt the standardized APS curriculum, to the detriment of the 'better' schools--thus, the emphasis on workbooks and testing. This change is showing up in declining SBA test scores. This is not the fault of the teachers or the administration. I still feel that this school is probably one of the best middle schools that Albuquerque has to offer.

the school part is great but they pretend that every little time someone breaks a rule that they have to call in the swat team. i got my hat taken away at school because i got caught wearing it inside on the second day of school. To make it worse, my parents had to come pick it up!!!!!! That was ridiculous!!!!!

Last modified Desert Ridge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.