Posted August 04, 2014
This is one of the best schools in the city. The staff is hard working, dedicated, warm and loving. The teachers work to create a rigorous, engaging and differentiated curriculum. Children are encouraged academically, but also feel like they are part of a community. We love it and our two children love it too!

Alice King Community School 2

Posted May 01, 2014
I fully agree with the review posted in April. I too children who have been at the school for a long time and I am terribly disappointed with this administration. I wonder if the last reviewer is legitimate or just an employee aware of several current parent-administration problems ongoing at this time. There are several reviews from the time this current principal got started showing how displeased many parents were. One reviewer said they had never been "treated so unprofessionally". I second that. Though I stayed for conveninece, I know there are many parents unhappy with the way the school is run, but maybe afraid of speaking. The teachers my children have had are good, but it does not make up for the times you need to deal with such a terrible coordinator.

Posted April 30, 2014
I have worked extensively with this administration over the past 5 years and have been nothing but pleased. I'm not really sure what the other reviewer is talking about. I have found every question and issue I've had met with respect and dignity. I have four children there, and I trust the administation with every aspect of their education. When my kinder was sent to the priincipal's office, I knew he would be disciplined with fairness and gentleness. The teachers and staff hold Ms. Connie in high regard, as evidenced by how far many of them drive, just to teach under her leadership. And the teachers are some of the very best out there, who could find a job anywhere. My children, all four of them, are thriving at Alice King!

Alice King Community School 1

Posted April 10, 2014
The concept is good, and we were pleased with the education, but very poor administration just poisons it. You may be able to enjoy it, unless you ever have any concern you need to address. If you ever make a complaint, the principal takes it as personal offense. Not only do they not ever attempt to solve any issues, but they also act in a punitive way because "dared" raise any concerns. The principal is a prideful woman. I should have paid more attention to the reviews on this website that talk about her, and how she ruins the school.

Posted November 13, 2013
My son is in Kindergarten at AKCS and so far we are thrilled! He's already reading and every day he talks about new thing(s) he has learned. Ms. Kelsey is a fantastic Kindergarten teacher and my son adores her. The school is small but not too small and everyone in the administration and staff know my child's name and treat him and me with respect. We love AKCS!

Alice King Community School 2

Posted March 13, 2013
This school does a fantastic job teaching the average and above child. Where I feel they are lacking, is in their ability and willingness to think outside the box in terms of helping students who have academic or behavioral challenges, even when these difficulties are a manifestation of the child's disability. Generally, with typical children, their approach works amazingly well, but when faced with a child who thinks differently, their skills are sorely lacking.

Posted March 04, 2013
Small class size is a huge plus as well as the ability to teach outside of the box. Kids can take off and learn at the highest level possible amongst peers learning at multiple different levels. It is not public school cookie cutter education. This school fosters the love of learning to suit the individual.

Posted January 11, 2013
Based on the rating criteria that a great school has excellent teachers, strong principal/school leadership, and challenging academic programs, I gave AKCS five stars. Our daughter is in 2nd grade (her third year at the school). She is absolutely thriving. Her teachers have been effective, engaging and accessible. The school culture is positive for kids as it not only emphasizes learning, but also good behavior, awareness of others, health, and creativity. The challenges of a charter school are not for every parent. You cannot take for granted that the school has a building, lunch program, gym, etc. You have to weigh what is most important and how involved you are willing to be. The parents at this school have shown great commitment and resourcefulness overall. There are a few sour lemons but they are everywhere. The school is currently #4 academically out of all public schools in NM. The approach to learning is working! And it really is a wonderful school community. We are proud and, perhaps more importantly, our daughter is proud of her school.

Posted August 02, 2012
My son has been at Alice King for 3 years and is about to begin 3rd grade. I am happily sending my 5 year old into Mary Kay Ready's Kindergarten class on 8/7/12. After having my child, who has some motor delays to private school with our church and feeling that the teachers, although caring and with a good pre-K program, didn't know what to do with my son who has some problems with becoming distracted, I sent him to AKCC for kinder. He has thrived. Their multi-age classrooms, and their limited amount of "seat-work", along with their wonderful teachers has helped him be and FEEL successful, where he didn't experience that before. They do a lot of projects and they still have a music and gym program where those seem to be disappearing in some public schools. They have a focus on healthy eating and living and discourage sugary snacks in their school. The PTA is so hardworking and they are very supportive of the teachers and overall well-being of the school. There's ample opportunity to volunteer in children's class rooms or on field trips. Their is a lot of parent participation and the school has a definitive plan for children who are having problems with learning or behavior

Posted May 25, 2012
I have at children at Alice King for 5 years. I wanted to write to counter some of the more negative reviews that have been posted here voicing concerns about the school since the change in administration. I have been very pleased with the new principal and found very approachable and easy to communicate with. I think some of the negative comments stem from parents who are upset that the plans for the middle school have been abandoned. In my opinion, these plans, made by the former principal were ill conceived and not thought through. Though controversial (and painful for parents of current or soon-to-be middle schoolers) the current principal made the right decision for the school as a whole and the children in K-5. My kids have benefited from wonderful teachers and Alice King has nurtured their love of learning. They are seen and heard and are full participants in their learning.

Alice King Community School
1905 Mountain Road NW, Albuquerque, NM  87109
Last modified Alice King Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alice King Community School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top