Bad
Good

Alice King is a school where each child is looked at individually, and lesson plans are based on each child's strengths and weaknesses. The teachers a truly the best I've seen out of three elementary schools we've been to. This new administration is going to be great for the school's staff, parents, and students. Their new location is going to be amazing. This is as best as public school education gets in New Mexico.

This is one of the best schools in the city. The staff is hard working, dedicated, warm and loving. The teachers work to create a rigorous, engaging and differentiated curriculum. Children are encouraged academically, but also feel like they are part of a community. We love it and our two children love it too!

I fully agree with the review posted in April. I too children who have been at the school for a long time and I am terribly disappointed with this administration. I wonder if the last reviewer is legitimate or just an employee aware of several current parent-administration problems ongoing at this time. There are several reviews from the time this current principal got started showing how displeased many parents were. One reviewer said they had never been "treated so unprofessionally". I second that. Though I stayed for conveninece, I know there are many parents unhappy with the way the school is run, but maybe afraid of speaking. The teachers my children have had are good, but it does not make up for the times you need to deal with such a terrible coordinator.

I have worked extensively with this administration over the past 5 years and have been nothing but pleased. I'm not really sure what the other reviewer is talking about. I have found every question and issue I've had met with respect and dignity. I have four children there, and I trust the administation with every aspect of their education. When my kinder was sent to the priincipal's office, I knew he would be disciplined with fairness and gentleness. The teachers and staff hold Ms. Connie in high regard, as evidenced by how far many of them drive, just to teach under her leadership. And the teachers are some of the very best out there, who could find a job anywhere. My children, all four of them, are thriving at Alice King!

The concept is good, and we were pleased with the education, but very poor administration just poisons it. You may be able to enjoy it, unless you ever have any concern you need to address. If you ever make a complaint, the principal takes it as personal offense. Not only do they not ever attempt to solve any issues, but they also act in a punitive way because "dared" raise any concerns. The principal is a prideful woman. I should have paid more attention to the reviews on this website that talk about her, and how she ruins the school.

My son is in Kindergarten at AKCS and so far we are thrilled! He's already reading and every day he talks about new thing(s) he has learned. Ms. Kelsey is a fantastic Kindergarten teacher and my son adores her. The school is small but not too small and everyone in the administration and staff know my child's name and treat him and me with respect. We love AKCS!

We were very disappointed in the lack of communication, apathy, and lack of any formal curriculum at all. Our kids digressed this year academically (and they are very curious, gifted students). We are fortunate to be moving to another school next year. We have heard that there are some excellent teachers there, but we didn't get them. Our kids watched more movies at this school than is ever appropriate, and my daughter who normally loves school has begged on numerious occasions to stay home from school because she doesn't like it. If you attend this school, make sure it is with one of the good teachers. Our experience was a disaster.

This school does a fantastic job teaching the average and above child. Where I feel they are lacking, is in their ability and willingness to think outside the box in terms of helping students who have academic or behavioral challenges, even when these difficulties are a manifestation of the child's disability. Generally, with typical children, their approach works amazingly well, but when faced with a child who thinks differently, their skills are sorely lacking.

Small class size is a huge plus as well as the ability to teach outside of the box. Kids can take off and learn at the highest level possible amongst peers learning at multiple different levels. It is not public school cookie cutter education. This school fosters the love of learning to suit the individual.

Based on the rating criteria that a great school has excellent teachers, strong principal/school leadership, and challenging academic programs, I gave AKCS five stars. Our daughter is in 2nd grade (her third year at the school). She is absolutely thriving. Her teachers have been effective, engaging and accessible. The school culture is positive for kids as it not only emphasizes learning, but also good behavior, awareness of others, health, and creativity. The challenges of a charter school are not for every parent. You cannot take for granted that the school has a building, lunch program, gym, etc. You have to weigh what is most important and how involved you are willing to be. The parents at this school have shown great commitment and resourcefulness overall. There are a few sour lemons but they are everywhere. The school is currently #4 academically out of all public schools in NM. The approach to learning is working! And it really is a wonderful school community. We are proud and, perhaps more importantly, our daughter is proud of her school.

Last modified Alice King Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.