Albuquerque, NM

St. Pius X High School 4

Posted November 06, 2014
Overall we've had a great experience here...our child is also content. The school has the right mix and balance of faith, academics and athletics / extracurriculars. Strong alumni loyalty--but it can come across as insular to those who are new to ABQ or don't have an SPX tradition in the family. The staff are committed to helping students...they have office hours available for additional instruction. Clear college prep and academic focus--students should be prepared to work...if your child isn't maintaining grades, forget about being allowed to participate in athletics. Well-disciplined...staff won't put up with disruptions. Surprised they don't have a permanent chapel yet...that's a long-term project. Tuition approx 12K...expensive, worth the sacrifice, but not a rich kid's school...not many $$$ vehicles in student parking. My rating should be 4+ ....SPX is committed to academic excellence and to supporting teachings of The Faith.

Posted June 28, 2014
St. Pius is a very good school for people who want to work hard. I have never had a problem getting help from teachers or doing well in classes. There are some not so great teachers and some very good ones especially in the honors and AP classes that are offered. The administration is not the best, especially the out of touch principal Dr. Rothwieler. If you hate uniforms and can't be disciplined don't go here, but I have never had a problem with following some of the stricter rules. Tuition is worth it if you want to work hard and take hard classes. I took 5 honors/AP classes last year and ended up with a 4.8 GPA which I wouldn't have done without some great teachers. Two 5's and a 3 on the AP tests, so they must be doing something right! If you can, definitely go to this school as you can get a great education for much less money than other private schools in ABQ.

Posted November 02, 2013
St. Pius is a place that has challenged both my children, They have teachers who care and parents if asked will give of themselves. Both my children are defenders of their faith. As a parent I feel it has been a sacrifice that is well worth it.

St. Pius X High School 1

Posted May 17, 2013
St Pius has some very good teachers, but unfortunately it has a terrible administration that does not respect its students, or care about their dignity. They are allegedly a Catholic school, but that would rather teach their children about hate and intolerance than about love and compassion.

Posted April 11, 2012
I am a freshman at St.Pius and truly love it. I don't know a lot about the administration but the teachers are great..Maybe the students who have a problem here did not come from Catholic middle schools..if they did they would not have a problem with the curriculum, the rules or the uniforms. heir dress code is way more lenient than Catholic mid schools!! And if you're not a trouble maker the rules are no big deal. I love it and have tons of friends and fun.

St. Pius X High School 2

Posted June 23, 2011
Education is good. Administration is terrible, except the vice principals. I have gone to Pius for 3 years, and it has it opened my eyes to see the hypocrisy of the world and how the administration has turned the school into a totalitarian state. Completely ignorant and misunderstand the students. Pius is only good for the conservative parents and the kids who are controlled to go to school, get good grades, praise God etc. Pius is not for the free thinking liberal brain who are not gonna try to fit in, but standout and see that there is more to life than Pius. I'll admit, some of the teachers are great (ex. 10th grade Old Testament 1st Sem.) If you have a tolerance for bigotry, and judgmental administrators, then Pius is good. Uniforms are terrible also.

St. Pius X High School 3

Posted January 09, 2011
Hi, I'm a freshman this year and the school was completely different that i thought it would be. Most of the administration are completely incompetent. It seems like they base their disciplinary decisions based on how much money they make from you. But other than that most of the teachers are great and most of the kids that go there get along well. Some of the teachers on the other hand have no idea what their teaching. Especially in the freshman theology department. And they should probably put a cap on how many students they accept because some of my classes are really crowded and you never get individual attention from the teacher. Which isn't the teachers fault.

Posted November 20, 2010
Hi, I'm an incomming freshamn this year. Ive only attended saint pius for the last few months and I enjoy it, mostly:) haha. sometimes the students thier are kinda mean, but its just somethingt that you get used to.. :) I came to pius from a public school so the adjustment from a public school to a private school was difficult, very dificult.. but the people here are waaay better then the kids at public school, trust me.

Posted September 21, 2010
As a graduate of a Jesuit High School in Houston, I can see where some of the students don't necessarily appreciate all they are gaining at this point. They will understand in years to come even if they don't fully appreciate it now. St. Pius is a great school, not flawless however. We are very happy with the staff, academic rigor, spiritual growth, and support our student is receiving. And yes, we're happy it's tough. Great preparation for college, and life. We recommend it highly.

St. Pius X High School 1

Posted June 16, 2010
My son attended St. Pius X High School for a year and a half. It was one of the worst experiences of his life. The parents are snobs, the kids are cruel, and the administration is at best incompetent. There are some wonderful teachers and staff, but imbeciles are just as numerous.

St. Pius X High School
5301 Saint Josephs Drive Northwest, Albuquerque, NM  87120
Last modified St. Pius X High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
St. Pius X High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top