PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

I can't say enough negative things about this school. The first day of our very short stay, I watched the director mock a 3 year old to her face for the way she talked. I immediately felt sick to my stomach that someone who preaches about her "Joyful Learning Community" would do something to mean to a little girl. I kept a very close eye on my own daughter after that. The final straw was when I went to pick her up and there was ONE teacher on the playground watching over 50 kids. I went inside and the other two teachers were talking about going to the grocery store and the other was on her phone in the hallway. I couldn't pull my kids out of that school fast enough, and saw an immediate improvement and couldn't be happier at their new school.

I can't say enough wonderful things about this institution and the amazing people who run it. I came across it on a random drive through Corrales, thought its beautiful campus looked like something out of a fairy tale, and decided to investigate. What I found was a staff that treats us like family, incredible teachers, and a curriculum that includes art, music, and gardening. I wish I could have gone to a school like this. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth every penny for our family? Absolutely. What's most important is finding a school that is the right fit for your children, and for us, we couldn't have asked for a better school than Cottonwood.

Time to go back to school and our family couldn't be more excited to get back to Cottonwood Montessori School! Outstanding program with dedicated professionals and a tremendously warm community. Check it out.

I have to respond to the last review on March 28, 2013 in defense of this school. I have two children that attend this school and the surroundings are charming and beautiful. The grounds are well taken care of and there is absolutely no smell when you walk into the school. That is absolutely absurd and it pains me when people choose to make such terrible reviews that are so off base to those of us who currently have our children enrolled in the school and feel extremely blessed to have the opportunity to do so. The teachers are amazing and dedicated and deserve nothing but gratitude. We are happy to help with fundraising because it helps the school continue to facilitate classes like art, music, environmental education, violin lessons, a steel band led by artist Frank Leto, physical education, and other activities for the children. Fundraising is voluntary, however, and if you can't afford to contribute more after tuition than you don't. It seems as though the last reviewer had issues with the school over finances and is lashing out. I walk into school on Monday and every other day of the week and feel my heart lift with gratitude for being able to be part of the community.

This school is constantly asking for money yet the tuition is close to 10k/yr. People are very nice but instruction is decent to poor at best. The facility is poor, many areas lack heat and it is extremely dirty. On Monday mornings walking into that school will make your stomach turn because it smells like fecal matter; apparently they do not clean the facility regularly and after a weekend the stench builds up.

Our two daughters attended Cottonwood Montessori. We moved out of state and my girls and I still miss the school and community greatly. The learning environment at Cottonwood was focused and engaged. The teachers were warm and encouraging and very knowledgeable. The families were very invested and involved. I felt it was a joyful and nurturing place for my children to learn and grow. In response to critical reviews, I would say that it is always important to advocate for you own child's learning needs and your goals for you child. Some rooms needed upgrading but the school was in process of completing new buildings. There was some resultant pressure to bring in the additional dollars required. Meanwhile I felt there was beauty, intelligence and inspiration to be found in most learning spaces. I believe children are lucky to attend this school.

We have never found a school with a more well rounded curriculum than this place. Our children are able to study things like art, music, environmental Ed, gardening, violin, steel drums, etc. the list goes on and on, and these are just the fun things. We have noticed a huge jump in our kids understanding of math, reading, and language concepts. All we have have ever seen in this place is a staff who is committed and happy. The director, Trish, is a gem. She truly believes in the vision of this school and acts upon it. We would never send our children anywhere but here.

My son has been a student of Cottonwood Montessori for four years. The teachers are amazing! My son has a passion for learning and can't want to go to school everyday. I could not imagine a better education or a happier child.

Very disappointed in this school! The parents provide everything from lunches, snacks, handyman work, janitorial services, & anything else they can get the parents to do. I don't mind helping out but when I am paying so much money for my child to attend & I can't see where the money is being used for the children then I think there is a problem. The staff of Cottonwood is also constantly asking for more money. Even going so far as asking parents to take out personal loans to help expand the school. Children have classes in greenhouses. The school is unsafe & the children are largely unsupervised. My child burned her hand badly on an exposed pipe, broke her hand, & received a severe cute on her head by an exposed piece of metal on a door frame. After starting this school last year she even regressed to having accidents in her pants again. We changed schools & have seen Huge improvement & a much happier child!

I sent my 4 year old son to Cottonwood for summer school as I was looking for a school to send him to during the school year. I experienced a high teacher turnover and poorly organised programs that did not meet my expectations. Communication was poor regarding what was expected from parent and the programs did not deliver what was described in the brochures. Overall teacher satisfaction seemed low and based on this I decided to place my son in a different school for the semester.

Last modified Cottonwood Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5