Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

I cannot speak for every teacher at Rio but my son's 1st grade teacher was not very good about sending homework. Or teaching in general.

My son was a 1st grader at Rio and his teacher was new, she was old and grumpy and told the class if they had a problem to handle it amongst themselves which lead to alot of bullying. The teacher was bad but that does not mean the school was. I liked that they allowed them to be a free spirit. And taught them other skills that are necessary. They have a grow dome they would plant food and sell it to raise money (which the students are all part of). They do lots of fundraising. Mr. John the art teacher was amazing! The reading coach also seemed wonderful. Most everyone was very welcoming. And if you have a problematic child as I do it was so helpful that the school handled certain situations amongst students and teachers rather then making suspension the first option. They would only call if necessary. I am not sure how other teachers at Rio run their classroom but I did not like the way my child's teacher did. It was free play all day and I felt he was learning very little from her. And she was leaving others to pick up her slack. (I also heard she was being fired) unfortunately I had already pulled him out of there. But I would have to say Rio Gallinas is a great place, my child was just put with the wrong person. Always do your research when it comes to the school and the teacher. :) hope this review helped.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

If there was a bullying situation they battled it out and that was that. Which I did not care for. And it was never brought to the parents attention, I didn't find out until my son got home that he was punched.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Now I don't believe my child's teacher was doing what was on the 504 plan. But Miss Amanda (2nd/3rd grade teacher) was wonderful about getting it together and explaining in detail what he needed to excel.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The one thing I didn't like is the principal Kirk Ludington would put all situations dealing with students off on other teachers everyone was having to pick up his slack which I found unfair. If you have a problem he is not your go to guy.

Develops character: Neutral

I know most of the teachers encourages these behaviors but my son's teacher told the children if they had an issue they must handle it amongst eachother which was a red flag for me because most are between the ages of 5-7 and are not capable of handling certain decisions like an adult would.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The art teacher Mr. John was amazing he let my child be himself, he was encouraging and just an all together great person. Also the reading coach seemed really good. Along with Ms. Amanda the 2nd/3rd grade teacher was also A wonderful person. My child's teacher was new grumpy and old and should have retired years ago so because of her is why we chose to move him schools. But everyone else was pleasant. He also loved his teacher aid miss Dorothy she was amazing with him.

RGS has a new Director, Dr. Yann, who is doing amazing things with the school. I see great changes. My children are so happy at this school, they love the teachers, students, and the Director, -we are happy to have such a school in such a small town. My daughters gets Mandarin and Spanish, dance and art.. it's just how you want a school to be for your children. I highly recommend Rio!

We cannot recommend this school for the higher grades. The pluses of this school are that the classes are small and kids get individual attention. The minuses are that all the issues facing larger schools are present - poor academics, bullying, theft, etc. - and not dealt with.

No you can not have a cookie. Now go to your room. Now. And quit bothering me.

Last modified Rio Gallinas School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.