Vista Grande Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted September 10, 2013

We relocated to Rio Rancho, NM during the recession in 2011 in the hopes of finding an easier way to provide for my daughter. I have no help in raising her, due to once having a small family who have now passed on, so I need to rely on a public school system for a good education. We've been here for 2 years now and I have to say Vista Grande Elementary is a dream come true. They care so much about their students, are hugely anti-bullying, reward kindness & respect daily and follow a great curriculum. My daughter is learning so much that she even won the second grade spelling bee last year! Also, so I can go to work, my daughter is enrolled in the before & after school program called S.A.F.E. Thankfully, she loves being there and it is affordable for me. I did a lot of research before relocating and it has really paid off because my daughter's future depends on her education.I'm very impressed with the one she is getting. Knowing that my little girl is happy & learning so much everyday makes me happy, my worries less and my life so much easier. I am so thankful to all the teachers and faculty at Vista Grande Elementary for all of their hard work and caring.

Posted July 27, 2011

We were transferred out here 4 years ago and we chose this area based on the good reviews on this website. My sons started here in 2nd and 4th grade and are now in Mountain View Middle School. I love Vista Grande for it's office staff, teachers and their great leadership. My daughter will be starting there in 2nd grade this year. This is a wonderful school and just what an elementary school should be. They prepare the students well for upcoming grades and for life as well. I am very happy that we chose this school district and I know my children are safe and well educated here!

Posted July 26, 2011

Two of my three children are attending and the thrid one will be starting shortly. The school and staff are incredible, always listening and showing concern for the students and their learning. The morale among the staff is incredible, last year they had jersey's made up for the staff so they looked like they were on the same team. The food is unbelievable! I have eaten lunch with my children several times and I do not remember eating this good while in school.

Posted May 16, 2010

Both of my children go there. When they started going to Kindergarten last year, they did not speak a word of english. Now, almost 9 months later, they are both fluent and can almost read at a first grader's level. The teachers are attentive and qualified. Moving near this school was the best decision I've ever made.

Posted April 12, 2010

Fantastic school-i son has gone here for 3 years-Teachers are excellent- Principal really relates to the kids and their needs-Our son is in the gifted program-they have treated him very well and have met all his needs-we pulled our son out of private school to put him in Vista Grande-it was one of the best decisions we every made

Posted August 19, 2009

I m very happy with that school result my daugther starting kindergarden an I know shes going to do well because she has mrs. talik . my oldest dsugther had mrs. talik and Im very happy with her teaching skills.

Posted December 1, 2008

Something is going on at VGE, The morale amongst staff is terrible. My daughter's kindergarten has lost two teachers in a one month period. Ms. Gilbert and Ms. Paulson were awesome and they both left with no notice, nothing.

Posted October 3, 2008

My son is a brand-new student here. He has a very hard time with transitions and consequently had a rough first day. He was so nervous/shy that he had a flight or fight response and I had to be called to pick him up. The principle and vice-principle spent most of their morning looking after my son and then spent some more time talking with me about what we could do differently. The vice-principle met us in his classroom before school started the next day to get him adjusted to the new environment. She had formed a new but good relationship with him the day before. The end of the story is that he has settled right in and is excited about his new school. I felt that the principle, vice-principle and his teacher took time to really listen to me and support my son during this transition.

Posted June 13, 2008

My child has attended Vista Grande for three years. Two with wonderful teachers and one that was a complete wash. The front office staff is the best you can find. The principle never responds to problems. He listens and does nothing. Phone calls are not responed to by the Principle or Vice Principle. Apparently saftey and rights issues are not important to them. On the up side the music staff is wonderful and so are their programs. It is a clean and well kept school. My child did not really enjoy going there. Bullied by kids and the staff never acknowledged any of it. I'm sure there are many happy students and parents involved in this school. We were not one of them.

Posted June 2, 2008

I have had my children in Vista Grande Elementary school for the past five years and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with every aspect of this school. From the principal all the way to the custodians they are dedicated, hard-working professionals who know their jobs and love our kids. I would not have my children anywhere else. In fact I have to drive them to school each day, but it is a minor inconvenience when I consider the education they are getting. The principal/assistant principal team is one of the best I have ever seen in any school and the teachers are superb.

Posted May 30, 2008

VGE really is a great school with an excellent staff. Most of the parents who have issues with the school are unreasonable in their expectations and will not be happy regardless of who is there and what happens. I believe the Vista Grande is headed in the right direction to be one of the best schools in the Rio Rancho/Albuquerque area largely in part of the dedicated administration and staff.

Posted April 18, 2008

Needs a new principal! Times have changed and the principal no longer gives respect to the parents. This will not last long before it gets really old. We need a respectful hard working person. Someone to be a role model. Not turn against parents as I have seen so often. On the plus the front office staff is wonderful, they should be the ones in charge of the school. They have much more personable skills and know how to treat each person individually and well as the students....theres COMMUNICATION. Some of the teachers just as well as the principal lack the area of a heavinly desired need of communication. Its not a desired school of a quality education unless you get the right teacher, steer from the principal. Unfortunatley the principal can be much more profitable in quality of education except hes doing the opposite and leads the wrong way.

Posted February 23, 2008

It really depends who you get. There are some really great awesome teachers. Then there are some who are not. In a childs education level this should be addressed in a professional manner by the principal. Unfortunately there is no support for parents right. Lots of parents are in agreement with me in that asking for issues to be resolved never are and if they include non cooperative teachers, parents usually will have to fight a battle. Sadly it hurts the parents trust in the education system. If you choose this school be a pro educator and never back down if an issue arises because they will bully you. This year is better because different teacher different teaching style. When you have a cooperative teacher everything falls into place, if you dont get that teacher forget about support from the principal. Support your child and never back down.

Posted January 7, 2008

I am extremly happy with Vista Grande. The teachers my children have had are the best. The staff is always helpful and willing to do whatever they can. The principal has done a terrific job and is easy to work with. Parent volunteers are encourged and welcomed.

Posted December 21, 2007

My child goes to this school and is very safe the teachers are great they also have a great after school program.

Posted November 5, 2007

VGE is a very good school. The principal for the last 3 1/2 yrs. has put forth tremendous effort to deal with issues created due to the growth of Rio Rancho. He has always addressed every issue I have had as well as many other parents. Safety and learning appear to be number one with 'his' kids. I highly recommend this school. Teachers have been good as well. Your child will not always have the perfect teacher no matter where they go. Your involvement as a parent matters just as much as your child's teacher's involvement as to how well they do in school.

Posted July 24, 2007

My children have been going to VGES for 2 years. This is a great school, with teachers who care about their students. The Gifted program is excellent. Music and Art have great programs. The weekly newsletter is a great communication tool. The PTO program is always active in rasing money for projects that directly benefits the kids! Yes the school is over crowded, but with building of a new elementary school in the area will help the over crowding. This is a good school with caring staff.

Posted June 23, 2007

My child attended this school for 3 years, and hated every year. I do not like the school or the staff what so ever. The principle is awful for sure. All this school cares about is money for themselves. Its awful I do not plan on having my child attend Vista Grande again next year. We will be looking for a different school for sure.

Posted June 21, 2007

I have two kids at VGE. The school is having major problems with facilities. The planned school structure was never completed due to lack of funding. The principal tried hard but he cannot do much because the school district cannot support him. The quality has been dropping every year. The school needs to close it's doors to any new students until additional schools are built to absorb some of the students.

Posted March 16, 2007

This is our first year at VGE and it has been very disappointing. The facilities are poor. Communication is non-existent. Administration does not respond to parent concerns.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2010.

119 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 New Mexico used the New Mexico Standards-Based Assessment (NMSBA) to test students in grades 3 through 8, 10 and 11 in Reading and Math, and grades 4, 7 and 11 in Science. The NMSBA did not report Science results in 2012. As of 2012, New Mexico no longer uses the New Mexico High School Standards Assessment (NMHSSA) to test high school students, and instead uses the NMSBA to test high school students. The NMSBA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Mexico. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2010.

121 students were tested at this school in 2010.

All Students69%

White81%
Economically disadvantaged44%
Students with disabilities39%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New Mexico Public Education Department. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students66%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A68%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7001 Chayote Rd NE