Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This is my children's second year at this school. I have three kids, who range from 1st to 6th grade. Last year I felt that out of the three kids, two had teachers who seemed quite difficult. My daughter had a teacher who seemed more interested in cigarette breaks and texting, than teaching. At one point her entire class failed a math quiz and she actually told all the kids that since they weren't capable of testing at a 5th grade level that she would give them a 4th quiz next time. This year for my daughters first parent teacher conference I was told she was doing well in all her classes., including math which was a B average. Broken down though, she was averaging an A for homework and a D for quizzes. So if you turn in your homework even if you clearly don't understand the subject, you will pass. The amount of paper work that is sent home or emailed is excessive. It's hard to keep track of where your children are at when you're having to weed through excessive handouts each week. I check my children's grades weekly on PowerSchool and find this to be quite helpful. On occasion if I find that there is a missing assignment I will email the teacher to find out if it can be turned in. When told yes, I will make sure the child does it and turns it in. I have seen on more than one occasion where the grade is never adjusted like previously discussed. We moved from Texas and I feel like we took a huge step backwards and I am greatly disappointed in the overall level of care, concern, and awareness. I feel like in general my children are getting by, but not thriving. Having grown up in New Mexico myself I feel like this has become the standard. Unfortunately, unless you don't supplement your child's education with tutoring and keep on top of their grades in PowerSchool they will likely see a steady decline as they progress into higher levels of education. There are many teachers who do try and do care. There are positive qualities about this school, but when I consider my children's education as a whole I am sorely disappointed.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I feel like my children have gotten a few teachers that are not effective. With that said there are many who do a great job and are extremely effective. When you have to rely on luck of the draw this can prove as a challenge.

Amount of homework: no rating

Sometimes the homework seems excessive and yet with math I have seen where there are assignments with 5 to 10 problems with quizzes to follow and a lack of understanding. Seems like there is not enough reinforcement for math and my child could benefit from more homework in this subject. I feel like she spends hours on projects for history or art, but is struggling to get by in math.

I have had 3 of my children go to Eldorado. It has definitely gone down in rating for me with the last child there now. I believe the principal does not have the children in mind at all times when making her policies or decisions. She allows a teacher to continue working there who has had numerous affairs with fathers of her students. This is well known by the teaching staff, parents and the children. The principal also had allowed a previously male child in previous years at the school to state he is a transgender child to do what he/she wants to do when it comes to using restroom facilities etc., and requiring his/her classmates to accept this decision with no regard for the classmates' feelings, family moral values, or confusion on the subject. In both these cases I feel the children of the school have been neglected as to the effect on them when making these decisions at the school.

What a fantastic school! My Grandson has Autism, and the hard work that his support group has done with him this year, has made a 100% difference! GOD bless Mrs. Fresquez, her help and the therapists. You have given my grandson his life.

Because there is someone there that answers the phone....but no more because critical evaluations are not passed on to staff. I have raised 4 children to successful adulthood, educating them across the country. This experience has been appauling for a kid with a speech difficulty. Total eval was done on 4 hrs spent in Kindergarten class. My taxes on this property has doubled...to pay for this rediculous excuse. Back to TX ASAP!

Eldorado is lucky to have two dedicated, enthusiastic and hard working teachers working with the Gifted program. They are awesome.

El Dorado Community School is a great school! I have volunteered in classrooms at elementary schools in California and assisted at other elementary schools in New Mexico, and have found that El Dorado Community School has by far the most supportive and dedicated teachers, who have created a caring and communicative learning environment for students at all levels of learning. I would rate El Dorado well above any of the schools I have been to in California. The Principal and Staff are also supportive, and are always visible and interacting with students and parents. Parent involvement at El Dorado is also excellent. My child has attended El Dorado Community School for 3 years and enjoys the school and the many activities it provides outside the classroom. My child previously attended a Montessori School in California, and did well, but did not enjoy it. She is much happier, and has become more engaged in the learning process at El Dorado Community School.

We are very pleased with Eldorado. My husband and I have observed several different private schools before deciding that Eldorado was a great match for our family. We are so happy with the teachers and staff. Their commitment to the kids, the school community and to the larger community is excellent! Our kids are learning so much! I am very grateful for the our little jewel - Eldorado Community School!!

I am a single mom of two children (2nd and 6th grade) at Eldorado Elementary and cannot be an overachiever in terms of helping my kids along in school. I would consider my kids normal (actually good students), however; and I credit EE (and my kids themselves) with their success. In my experience, not only has my children s academic (and emotional) success (and well-being) always been the focus for the outstanding and dedicated pedagogical staff at this school, but I also credit especially our first and second year teachers with instilling my kids with confidence and enthusiasm about learning, which is really where it all starts. Statistically New Mexico certainly is closer to the bottom of the totem pole of education in this country, but let s please not blame exactly those (public!) schools and those teachers who are already working hard (and I don t think get paid enough) on changing that. Let s be careful about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Last modified El Dorado Community School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.