Posted September 16, 2013
I'm a freshman and my experience so far is below average. This school clearly has problems to patch. For example, the school focuses too much on sports (especially on football) than extracurricular activities and classes. Speaking of classes, most of which aren't very helpful, accelerated classes aren't really teaching challenging material, and don't get me started on Spanish. Spanish classes drag at a very slow pace and most kids who finish taking it do not become a native speaker of the language. Heck, why is it the only language? What if we want to learn something else? Anyway, lunches are also terrible. Although there are plenty of food options, you don't get enough food for the rest of the school day. Last but not least, confrontations are not uncommon nor is the neglect of staff when it comes to help. The only good things about this school would be extra class options, the band (which is one of the best in the area), and the advisory periods.

Posted August 17, 2013
My experience was alright..but the Puerto Rican graduation rate gotta be higher..I know out of all my vatos in school i was the only one to graduate on time..The Italian and other white ethnic groups have respectable grad rates..

Posted September 13, 2012
My daughter graduated from here this past June of 2012. Not once during her time at this school did she have any trouble. She got good grades, was respectful to teachers, staff and fellow students and just pretty much got along with people. That's really all it takes. If you're out to cause trouble, well then, of course, it will find you. This school is NOWHERE near as bad as it's circulated reputation. For a bigger school, yes you would think it would be more problematic, but again, that's a rumor. It's actually a pretty decent place to go to school.

Amsterdam High School 5

Posted April 12, 2010

Amsterdam High School 4

Posted October 20, 2009
this school has a lot to offer students.they don't have a very good reputation because of a couple of kids behavior issues. amsterdam is a great school with great teachers. it is not even close to as bad as people will say it is.

Posted June 19, 2009

Posted April 17, 2009
I'm an alumni of AHS class of 2008 and I honestly don't think its as bad as people say. However, i think there should be a greater focus on academics than on athletics. There should be more courses offered for college credit and more of a focus on preparing students for college. In the first days of my college courses I could tell that I wasn't as prepared as many of my classmates. Im a pre-medical major and I do not feel like I was properly prepared and if there was a better focus on science and encouraging the students in these courses, there would be more successful graduates. And I was a member of the Marching Rams and really, the band does not get enough credit. I guarentee that half the critics of the band wouldnt be able to last a 1/4 mile in a parade...

Amsterdam High School 1

Posted April 01, 2009

Posted November 05, 2008
This school isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I am a Senior in this High School and yes it may have some problems but it is not the majority of the kids. Also our football team is very good but it is true that more attention is put towards it then any of the other programs. I am a member of the AWARD WINNING Amsterdam Marching Rams. If you think we are the best I think you should get out more and come see our overflowing trophy cases.

Posted September 13, 2008
I believe that this school is not as bad has it is made out to be. My children have done well and stayed away from the problems. I think that all schools have problems and its the parents responsiblty to give advice and guidance and keep them focused.

Amsterdam High School
140 Saratoga Avenue, Amsterdam, NY  12010
Last modified Amsterdam High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Amsterdam High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top