Bronx, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 16, 2015
The teachers are great. Whenever I have spoken to a teacher they are supportive and understanding. They know what they are doing. Even when the principal has refused to see me and forced a teacher to speak with me, they have done a great job.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 16, 2015
My daughter's second teacher is great. The home is just write. I have no complaints about the homework. It's my daughter's safety that is at risk.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted June 16, 2015
When the teachers are allowed to teach, they do a wonderful job. My daughters teacher is such a hard worker.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 16, 2015
Again students are mean and rewarding them for no reason isn't helping. My daughter was attacked and that same day a teacher came to the room with a cart and gave the student that attacked my daughter a cupcake.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 16, 2015
Students in my daughters class are mean. The teachers are overwhelmed. My daughter complains of a headache everyday.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 16, 2015
The principal and assistant principal are not honest. They don't listen to concerns and point the finger at the teacher.

Posted June 16, 2015
My daughter who is in second grade complains of headaches, due to the noise in the classroom. I have complained to the Principal countless times. I have been referred to the assistant principal who does not know what she is doing. The worst part is that students are rewarded no matter how they behave. How is that fair to students like my daughter? The system at PS 42 is broken and teachers are letting out students down.

Posted March 11, 2015
PS 42 has no consistent system of rules and consequences, high turnover (the best leave), a dangerous school environment, and teachers (the ones that can't find a job anywhere else) that participate in verbal abuse. I'm a frustrated parent worried about my daughter and her friends. Sadly I was extremely happy with this school two years ago, but because so many of the talented employees have left the school is going down hill. I don't feel comfortable with my daughter attending this school and plan on making this her final year. Sadly the children are bullying each other in a consistent basis with no real consequences for the bullies. The teachers and principal participate in bullying, intimidating students to hide things from there parents. The prinicipal Ms. Orduz hides what is really happening at the school by rewarding bullies, kids that walk out of their class, and curse at other students and teachers by giving them toys and candy and masks it by saying it's her behavior plan. I live at 500 East 171st Stree and am so disappointed to my daughter is zoned for PS 42. PS 42 where they hide what is really going on behind Ms. Orduz's smile.

Posted November 28, 2010
I have found this school to be very disfunctional and disorganized. I am not satisfied with the teaching curriculum at all. My daughter still attends this school and over the Thanksgiving break she only had one photo copied handout to complete. She hardly evers gets any homework. She is she supposed to be prepared for the upcoming state exams if she receives not homework. I am highly disgusted and unsatisfied. I will definitely be the parent taking more steps for something to be done about this school.

Ps 42 Claremont 5

Posted November 02, 2010
I went to this school from 1980-1983. At the time mr. Ortiz was the principal. My teachers were ms. Jordan and ms. G. Lorde. Excellent school.

1537 Washington Avenue, Bronx, NY  10457
Last modified Ps 42 Claremont is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 42 Claremont Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top