Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted April 11, 2016
An excellent school, with outstanding leadership. I visited the school from the UK, and sadly, had preconceived notions about schools in inner city New York. My assumptions were quickly shattered , impressed as I was, by the Principal's total commitment to transforming the life chances of the many disadvantaged children in his care, and the high standards of teaching and learning I witnessed. The staff were collegiate in approach, working hard to make a difference, in a system which may not have the same 'polish' or funding as most in the UK. The kindergarten students in particular ,were delightful and had a real passion for learning and to do their best. Keep doing what you're doing at PS53X- you're a great school , obviously striving to push forward in order to meet the needs of your students. It's clear that your school has a tangibly caring, purposeful culture which supports the development of both staff and students. This is a school with ambition- watch it grow !

Posted September 10, 2015
This school needs to be shut down and closed until the nyc board of education can find strong, smart, and caring people to run it! The principal looks like he's just in it to be able to say he's a principal! The assistant principal is mean, rude, disrespectful, and not to mention there right hand secutary I never seen a women have a more disgusted look on her face if you just wanna ask a question!!! I feel this school is very based on race, if your not Hispanic they do not want to help you or care about what your child needs! Mind you I have read all the reviews from previous parents and basically just confirming that the school is garbage! Disorganized, unprofessional, basically the majority of staff in that building is just in it for the money! There are a few good teachers, helpers, security, but that's it! Like I said if your not Hispanic they don't care about you or your child!!!!

Ps 53 Basheer Quisim
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted September 10, 2015
Like I have said the school is mostly Hispanic children which is no problem, but the other students who may speak African, Arabic , etc etc are treated unfairly, I've seen it with my own eyes

Ps 53 Basheer Quisim 2

Posted August 18, 2014
I don't know how this school has such a high rating overall. The school is horrible, and the staff are rude and disrespectful. I have even been hung up on when I called asking about my daughters report card! What's worse is that I have yet to receive notification of parent teacher conferences. By the way if you are hoping to find any updated information on the website, good luck. Awful school.

Posted August 18, 2014
I really dont know how this school has a high rating. My child has been in this school from grades K-2. And these have been the most stressful years for him and I. The principal in this school (Mr.Wolfe) is just the worse. Without a good leader no school or business, etc will be able to succeed. I feel so sorry for the children attending here. The complaints against this school are tremendously high!! I dont know why the board of education haven't taken theyre time to do a really deep investigation. There's so much to say..just google his name and youll see petitions from both staff and parents to get this man out. This school wit its location and the kids attending and parents involved has the ability to be a GREAT school! But not until "dr.wolfe" steps down. Till then avoid sending your child here!!! Avoid the headaches and disappointments!.

Posted June 17, 2014
Terrible school!! Administration is awful, the NY BOE should investigate this school. Principal and his staff are extremely unprofessional. Every time I call, the lady who answers after I press 0 is extremely rude and impolite!

Posted September 09, 2013
My oldest has been at this school since 2009, and I have to say that overall I am pleased. Her teachers have been very pleasant, and if ever I had an issue, they have always worked with me to resolve it as quickly, and efficiently as possible. It may be difficult at times to receive help from the administration, but they are entitled off days. For the most part, they have been extremely helpful. My only wish is that there were more parent involvement.

Posted August 11, 2013
it is a great school my son attends, all the teachers he had so far were very nice

Posted June 29, 2013
My cousin goes to this school (P.S.53x) it's a really good Public School, Trust me. The teachers are excellent on teaching. Infact the principal Dr.Collin Wolf is a wonderful principal! You should join ~Xoxo

Ps 53 Basheer Quisim 3

Posted September 25, 2011
My daughter started KG Sept 2011 and so far its organized for the KG. I didnt like that the teachers didnt make an effort to get to know the parents or guardian. But Im not taking it to heart because it the first week and things are crazy and over the place. I liked that it is convenient for me and the kids so far seem friendly. It is very populated if you are concern about the learning abilities. I do not like that close by people walked their dogs near the school so there is alot of feces on the ground. But Im waiting for the next 6 months for my some improvement. They wear uniforms so thats a good and bad things.

Ps 53 Basheer Quisim
360 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY  10456
Last modified Ps 53 Basheer Quisim is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.