St. Theresa School

Private | PK-8 | 273 students

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Sweep tile

Posted December 3, 2013

I love this school my son is going to st Thereasa from perk to now he is in 3 rd grade and I must say that teachers are so well organized

Posted February 19, 2013

My child attended the prek program 2 years ago. I was very dissappointed with the teacher because I felt she was not equipped with the skills and strategies to teach 2-4 year olds. The academic part of the program was on par with other prek3 programs. However, the problem I had is with how the teacher dealt with social/emotional problems that arise in the classroom of 2-3 year olds. During the year I heard many silly complaints.The complaints I received ranged from my child crying, wanting to be near her, wanting to sit on her lap when she was teaching/ reading on the carpet, to complaining about my child wanting extra snacks. Not every 3 year old is an angel and you need many strategies to deal with all types of children. In my opinion, she made it known that my child was not her favorite. However, I found the teacher assistant to be great. She had a lot of patience and showed alot of love to my child. In addition to this, I also have great things to say about their morning program. My child was well looked at and loved spending time with the aides who gave him positive attention. The following year I put my child in a Christian school and I NEVER got a complaint.

Posted October 28, 2011

St.Theresa is a great school and the Principal is a dedicated professional. I must disagree with the one of the postings, she is an administrator who leads our school well. I am lucky that my child attends St.Theresa School. Great teachers, wonderful principal and a happy educated child.

Posted October 14, 2011

I've had my children here for several years and am disappointed in the school. First, the principal is a nice person but seems inept in handling disciplinary issues. There are no clear guidelines as to what is expected from children and as to the consequences that may occur if children do not abide by those guidelines. The parents appear to dictate the school policies as there is no clear administrative strength. Second, most of the teachers have taught there for many years and have numerous years of experience. This has a positive side but also a negative side. The negative being that they are older and do not seem as capable or energetic enough to handle the various behavioral issues that can arise in a classroom containing 30-35 children which is the norm.

Posted January 16, 2011

I moved my daughter to this school in first grade. She previously attended St. Clare of Assisi. I have been nothing but pleased. The school not only has proven that they are strong in academics but they also have a wonderful sense of community and family. The principal and staff are all very involved and care about the students. I am so happy that we found this wonderful school to help us educate and raise our children. My only negative is that the class sizes can be big....however in the early grades there is a full time aide in the class. So far there have been no issues with the number of students and the amazing eduction she has received.

Posted May 11, 2010

I am very happy with STS. My daughter loves this school and has done very well in all her academics. I applaud both the teachers and the principal for all their hard work and commitment to the students, to the school and to the community!

Posted April 19, 2010

I love STS because there is so much caring and family fun in the school community!

Posted April 19, 2010

It is a strong family oriented school and parish

Posted April 19, 2010

The school has caring,dedicated,and knowledgable teachers. The principal takes the time to know each student by name along with the family. It is a very involved school.

Posted October 29, 2009

STS is a family. The parents need to be more involved with helping their childen. The teachers can not do it on their own. parents must work with the teachers. The teachers at STS are dedicated in what they do.

Posted May 20, 2009

My name is Mark Colasacco. I am the proud parent of an 16X honor student at St. Theresa School. Over the past few years, STS has had it's up's and downs. Without any substantial help from the NYC Bof E, or the State STS has sustained itself through a number of avenues such as parental participation, dedication of the faculty, an open door policy with school administration, charitable donations and multiple fund raising events. I've been reading the reviews of the disgruntled ones who seem to think that a childs education comes solely from attending school for a few hours a day. There is nothing further from the truth. Saint Theresa School is fine institution of learning. I highly recommend STS to any parent or guardian who believes as I do and that is your childs education is a collaboration of home, school family values and participation in your childs education.

Posted May 8, 2009

Sts is a great school and the teachers are good. The aids that help the teachers are amazing as well. Especially Mrs. Canavari aka Mrs. C she is a god send and the kids love her I hope she never leaves.

Posted June 7, 2008

Yes, it is true STS has had a lot of changes and time will tell...but what I see I like. The new principal is doing a good job, she had a big mess to clean up....! The ITBS are excellent and the kids are happy, and the parents are involved in the school. You can see that the everyone cares about the children, they come first.

Posted June 7, 2008

I guess if you like the principal and teachers any school is great! STS is a great school, yes they have a new principal, she is doing a great job: she knows all the children by name, and she is concerned about our children. The teachers are very nice, and knowledgeable. They go out of their way to help the kids...It is a very nice community.

Posted June 4, 2008

St. Theresa School has gone through a lot of changes the last couple of years. Time will tell whether they are good changes or not. Overall every school has its good and bad points. Most of the teachers are good and I'm very involved with my childrens school work at home, so their grades are outstanding. STS always does great on their state tests.

Posted May 22, 2008

This is an OK school, the children seem to be on the tough side(not so well behaved) the new principal seem just OK. I hope she gets her act together

Posted March 11, 2008

St.Theresa is a wonderful school. The teachers are helpful, knowledgeable and patient. I am very happy that I chose this school for my children! STS offers more than just sports, afterschool, drama, and the home school offers alot for the families. just ts he

Posted March 6, 2008

St. Theresa continues to decline not only in academics but in activities. The programs provided to the children are all politically controlled. It's about who you know and if you donate enough. Mainly, The Sports Program has become nothing more but another way to line the pockets of the parish. The children aren't being taught anything but 'If you pay, you play'.

Posted February 13, 2008

Overall disappointed inthe school. There are a handful of good teachers (Sirabella, Marchetti and Barrone) amongst many poor teachers. The middle school is a terrible environment and many many discipline problems persist without teacher/adminsistrator intervention. I had to remove my child from this school as it became clear that education was not the top priority.

Posted January 18, 2008

Changes are happening at St.Theresa School...Good Changes the Teachers and the Principal are a Team...the kids are happy and learning is going on...This is a great school

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (718) 892-9441

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York