PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 03, 2016
Only the one teacher is TOTALLY ineffective and the sole cause of all the bad experiences this school has been hit with. The other teacher needs to reestablish herself in a Posh school in Connecticut where they give fab spa days and getaways for teacher appreciation. Other than those two all the other teachers are AWESOME CAPABLE INTELLIGENT WELL EDUCATED AND HAPPY TO PASS THE KNOWELEDGE TO THE CHILDREN not compare them to other well to do children or talk about their last job as if they would rather be there than teaching our students. C'est La Vie to this school year

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 03, 2016
I feel the students themselves have persevered all the obstacles and put their best foot forward. Now if giving them the challenges is the way in which this school has developed persistence grit and determination than I'll give them the credit because if the struggle to understand what a teacher is teaching yet you pass the class anyway is considered grit determination and persistence than well done St. Margaret of Cortona

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 22, 2016
Almost all the subjects give the appropriate amount of homework except for the uncertified religion/science teacher.

St Margaret Of Cortona School 1

Posted May 22, 2016
This school has gone good to better now worse the principal is unraveling. Instead of stepping back and assessing the impact one Sciene/Religion has had on your ENTIRE middle school student body you have to say something is seriously wrong. The entire student body cannot be wrong. It is truly sad that after having meetings with this principal and he express that he understands and wants to get to the bottom of things and the school year continues and nothing changes. So you say I have a voice and it needs to be heard I'll make a post on great schools because the principal is not listening. His hires over the last couple school terms have been somewhat a terrible pill to swallow. As Catholics we are told to respect authority and just turn the other cheek. We have behave that way tooooooo long we need to truly step up and stop being cowardice. Every parent who has had an issue needs to speak out.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted May 22, 2016
only the new hire in science/religion is very ineffective all other teachers do their part.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 22, 2016
in most subjects it fits what they have learned or worked on in the class, but science it is not enough

St Margaret Of Cortona School 2

Posted May 06, 2016
We loved this school at first, but it has changed a lot. It's sad that it's turning into a source of frustration for so many families. No one wants to feel like their problems don't matter, but that is how many families feel now. There isn't much communication, unless it's to basically be told to go away. It's sad.

St Margaret Of Cortona School 5

Posted March 12, 2016
My child is new to the SMCS family. She began this past September and since the first day of school, she has come home happy and excited about her school day. As an educator (more than 15 years in the field), I had a long list of things I looked for in a quality school and when I toured SMCS last spring, I was thrilled. The teachers are professional, communication has been excellent, and the school principal, Mr. Keenan, is professional and attentive. Now I see a number of negative reviews citing discontent with the upper grades (middle school) due to recent hires, specifically 2 teachers. I do not have personal involvement in that as my child is not directly affected, however, I feel it should be noted that one bad apple does not ruin the cart. Bad hires happen. Continuity of the educational program is priority and sometimes things take time to be adjusted. I don't think it's fair to discredit a school due to a few bad apples. I look forward to many years with SMCS and I would highly recommend the school.

St Margaret Of Cortona School 5

Posted March 12, 2016
I enrolled my son in kindergarten last fall, and I couldn't be happier. The public school seemed overwhelming and had wide-scale reports of behavior problems, and St. Margaret's felt much more manageable and nurturing. My son has absolutely thrived over the past six months. He is doing great academically and is excited about learning, and where he used to avoid arts and crafts he now loves art class and wants to draw and color at home. The children in his class are gently but firmly held to a standard of behavior, and my son is now in the habit of saying, "Yes, Mom," when I ask/tell him to do something. He is learning to be respectful and caring. I am not Catholic and I was a bit apprehensive about the religious aspect of his education, but it has been seamlessly worked into the curriculum, with a focus on love and respect. When I had a question about religious education a few weeks ago, the principal and my son's teacher responded immediately and provided me with resources so I could learn along with my son. The student body is diverse, and the parents have established a friendly, supportive community. Every day I am happy I sent my son to St. Margaret's.

St Margaret Of Cortona School 3

Posted March 10, 2016
The lower grades are great. Ms. T is fabulous as well as Ms. Nixon. The middle school is not. They hired an inexperienced teacher and he doesn't teach. Principal has had meetings with parents but still no change.

452 West 260th Street, Bronx, NY  10471
Last modified St Margaret Of Cortona School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8