Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Neutral

For children who they see are setting positive examples and are role model for other students the answer is yes. For students who may need a little more of a push the school puts labels on those kids in a negative way.

My son goes to Brooklyn Scholars Charter school from kindergarten and now to first grade. I must say the school's curriculum is one of the best. My son reading and math level is great and he loves reading. However, what brings down the school's rating for me is the school staff. Some of the teachers and office staff are unprofessional and they always seem to have an attitude. Quite a few parents I have spoken to have said this. They tend to treat children with emotional behaviors different and what was told to me from the principal is that my son's behavior will not be tolerated when he goes to first grade and this was said in front of office staff instead of her office as I was not only embarrassed, I was upset. In my opinion they put labels on children who has emotional disturbances and does not like to work with them. The curriculum is great however because of the lack of support for myself and my son. it's better I find a school that will fit our needs.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

My son tells me all the time he needs more help and he never gets help

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel it's a good amount of homework is ok I'm comfortable with it its the proper amount

They never here you out if your child is not doing well they don't have a lot of support for children with reading problems they have a lot of attitude this school the staff always

The teaching staff really cares about the students. And they welcome parent involvement. They are constantly working to ensure that your child achieves.

My son is a first grader at Brooklyn Scholars. My husband and I love the quality of eduaction there. This year his teacher left and he was without a stable teacher for a few months. Initially we were uncomfortable with this instability. However, we appreciate the fact that the administration was not willing to just find any replacement. They wanted an exceptional replacement. My son is excited about his new teacher and is doing great.

My husband and I Love this school for our 8 year old daughter. Our daughter has been a student at Brooklyn Scholars Charter School Since Kindergarten and she excels every year. The teachers, the front desk staff and the principle are smart, talented, wonderful, friendly and they treat every student and parent with respect.

This school has a very difficult task ahead of them. I agree that there is a lack of disipline protocol at this school. The principal is very dedicated to making the school great but faces huge challenges, especially high teacher turnover. I have been lucky to get the best teacher in each grade.

This is a tough neighborhood and the challenges this school faces are huge. Discipline is a big problem. Physical violence is common. There aren't consequences and the students understand this. Also, teacher turnover is very high. If you're lucky and you happen to get your child in a classroom with a great teacher, great, but you just can't count on it. Several classes have gone through 3 teachers this year alone. The majority of hires are first year teachers, and the salary is lower than public schools. So the teachers who stick it out and do a great job are saints. The administration is positive and wants the school and students to succeed, but the school is definitely struggling, and things are not improving. Hopefully they will.

Last modified Brooklyn Scholars Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.