Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

Posted February 19, 2015
My son is a first grader at Brooklyn Scholars. My husband and I love the quality of eduaction there. This year his teacher left and he was without a stable teacher for a few months. Initially we were uncomfortable with this instability. However, we appreciate the fact that the administration was not willing to just find any replacement. They wanted an exceptional replacement. My son is excited about his new teacher and is doing great.

Posted September 15, 2014
My husband and I Love this school for our 8 year old daughter. Our daughter has been a student at Brooklyn Scholars Charter School Since Kindergarten and she excels every year. The teachers, the front desk staff and the principle are smart, talented, wonderful, friendly and they treat every student and parent with respect.

Brooklyn Scholars Charter School 3

Posted January 06, 2014
This school has a very difficult task ahead of them. I agree that there is a lack of disipline protocol at this school. The principal is very dedicated to making the school great but faces huge challenges, especially high teacher turnover. I have been lucky to get the best teacher in each grade.

Brooklyn Scholars Charter School 2

Posted September 18, 2013
This is a tough neighborhood and the challenges this school faces are huge. Discipline is a big problem. Physical violence is common. There aren't consequences and the students understand this. Also, teacher turnover is very high. If you're lucky and you happen to get your child in a classroom with a great teacher, great, but you just can't count on it. Several classes have gone through 3 teachers this year alone. The majority of hires are first year teachers, and the salary is lower than public schools. So the teachers who stick it out and do a great job are saints. The administration is positive and wants the school and students to succeed, but the school is definitely struggling, and things are not improving. Hopefully they will.

Brooklyn Scholars Charter School 4

Posted July 24, 2013
My daughter has been a student at this school for 2 years and I love it! While I agree that some of the teachers are not quite as experienced as I would like them to be, I think that the deans and the principal do their job in helping the teachers and correcting them when necessary. It is important that parents understand that YOU are your child's first teacher. If they have behavior issues or if they are not growing academically then you must ask yourself "What am I doing or not doing in this case?" I would recommend this school to EVERYONE! If you're a parent that is involved in your child's academic life, there's no reason your child would not succeed here. The support system at Brooklyn Scholars is great. I encourage parents to try it for themselves. Remember your children are only as great as YOU make them. Teachers are there to enforce the values and morals that YOU have already put into your child and hopefully they are all good things. If YOU don't put anything in, then you cannot expect to get anything out. Once good morals and values have been taught to any child, being academically successful is not a struggle. BSCS Rocks!

Brooklyn Scholars Charter School 2

Posted June 07, 2013
This school is ok but I would not recommend it. I went with this school for the mere fact that they endorse high quality education, leadership, discipline, and excellence. I have had nothing with problems with this school since my daughter started Kindergarten Fall 2012. They do not discipline well and do not have a real strategic analytical way of handling it. They suspend 5 yr old kindergardeners for not listening! If a 5 yr old had a tantrum, which most small children do, they consider that to do harm to themselves and others. Another means for suspension. It is ridiculous. They do not handle social behavioral skills at all. The education is ok. I think way too much HW for kindergarten and project assignments they are incapable of doing so parents are doing them, literally. eg. Take pictures of objects in your community that are shaped like letters. If you have a small child that has a hard time with self control, listening and just being a 5 yr old, don't enroll, they don't have the patience nor the expertise with very young teachers straight out of college, and deans that are the worse with very little guidance.

Brooklyn Scholars Charter School 3

Posted December 05, 2012
Although this school has been highly rated it is clear that there are some problems especially with leadership! The principal is new and does not have a clue as to what she is doing! Several new teachers left this year and the classes have been without a permanent teacher for a few months. The children and their needs are not being adequately met in this setting.

Posted August 20, 2010
My daughter is currently is a student (5th Grade)..... and loves her school. The teachers are excellent. Strong communications between staff and parents. The Principal, Dean & other Staff members are phenomenal.....they actually know each child by their first names..............

Brooklyn Scholars Charter School
2635 Linden Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY  11208
Last modified Brooklyn Scholars Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooklyn Scholars Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top