Brooklyn, NY

Posted September 17, 2013
My daughter really loves the school, staff and her classmates. She looks forward to going to school every single day and is extremely happy there. We've also met some really wonderful families who truly care about the success of the school. As for the curriculum - it isn't very exciting and we wish there were more enrichment/after-school activities. Though for that to happen the school really needs the parent community to step up and be more involved. The teachers have been great - especially her 2nd grade teacher who went above and beyond to enrich their lives (offered chess lessons and jazz Fridays). The school also has an exceptional music teacher who produces the greatest end of year musicals! Unfortunately, the music program finds itself on the "chopping block" year after year. All in all, a good school with room for improvement.

Posted September 16, 2013
Our longtime principal retired this year and we have a new principal Ms. Tami Flynn (greatschools - you need to update your info!). She has big shoes to fill but I'm sure she's up to the task as we received an introduction letter from her on the first day of school. PS 193 hasa wonderful parent community with huge potential for making a difference, but we just don't have enough parents involved and it's a shame. Other than that I'm very happy with my child's academic progress in CIG. I think there could be more challenge in math and the DOE's mandatory curriculum change basically set the class back by a year to make sure everyone learned math "the new way". But the school tries really hard and the effort from all staff is palpable, except for the parent coordinator.

Posted September 16, 2013
I think the school provides a decent education, and so far I haven't seen anything that I considered better in the rest of Brooklyn, even though some of my friends' children attend private schools, as well as other well-regarded public schools. We have other options, closer to our home, for example, but have been happy enough to send our child to PS193. We like that the administration has been responsive to our needs, there are some great teachers, and we have seen great progress, especially in reading and writing for our child. She has also very much enjoyed music lessons, both singing and flutaphone, as well as gotten exposure to French language and culture. We made good friends with some of the other families in the school. The school has a very nice playground, where our child stays after school . There are downsides -- the lunchroom is very loud, and our child said that sometimes staff yell at children, especially in the lunchroom.

Posted August 29, 2013
I am extremely proud of all that the school is doing in order to facilitate to the extraordinary needs of my children. One son is in CIG and the other two in general classes, however all three challenged by their teachers every single day. My 1st grader received homework right up until 2 days before school officially closed.

Posted August 29, 2013
Wonderful environment for your children and very safe. The teachers are doing an excellent job of educating my three children .

Posted July 17, 2011
My daughter has been in the CIG class since Kindergarten and she has received an excellent education re reading , math, art, and French. Where else can a public elementary student in Brooklyn be taught French. The school is racially diverse and it works THe school needs more money and needs to tap into its reservoir of alumni. Othen than that,the schools has a warm, caring and creative environment with a seasoned principal who knows how to work the syste,

Posted March 16, 2011
This is an excellent School. My daughter is in the 1st grade and i am extremely please with her progress.

Posted December 11, 2010
The Gil Hodges School is was an awesome school when I went there and still is. I attended P.S. 193 from 2nd to 5th grade and I was in the Gifted and Talented program and I am now a high school junior. The teachers taught well and challenged me every step of the way. The school always had interesting activities like the annual dance festival and the school play. They also had a lot of clubs and programs for the students to partake in. I loved the fact that the school has a motto of "Be Respectful and Be Nice". My only dislike was that the CIG program kids were deemed superior to the rest of the school and had a lot of "special" field trips and programs that I felt every student should have been able to participate in. Also, I think that they needed to have a no tolerance policy on bullying. When anyone was teased the administration would put it off as harmless child's play, even though it wasn't. Other then these few minuscule flaws, I'd recommend P.S. 193 as a great school for parents to send their children to.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges 3

Posted October 12, 2010
My child is in a CIG class. The school fosters an belief that the student of CIG are the elite. Unforrtunately the students themselves are perpetuating this believe in their actions and attitudes. Although my child is a CIG student and the work is challenging, her teacher is harsh to say the least. It is as if she is on a personal mission to keep the CIG program exclusive to who she things deserves to be there. She critizes at every turn and expects the students to act as college students. I often times ask myself if her actions are justified. Are "gifted" children adults or are they children who have the ability to learnfaster than others. In all honesty, I dont believe these CIG children are geniuses and should not be made to think they are elite either. This year may be the last year my daughter attends ps 193.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges 3

Posted October 07, 2010
If your child is in Gifted program, this is a good school. They will receive a quality education. However, if your child is in the general classes, I would recommend another school where they can be more challenged. My children came from a private Pre-K program and I was very disappointed by the curriculum being taught on the K and 1st grade level.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges
2515 Avenue L, Brooklyn, NY  11210
Last modified Ps 193 Gil Hodges is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 193 Gil Hodges Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top