Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 20, 2016
Despite the horrible environment the principal creates at this school, my child's teacher is amazing. Shout-out to her. I'm very grateful for the job she's doing.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges 1

Posted March 20, 2016
The principal is abusive to students, parents and staff. She makes decisions contrary to the will of parents and staff. Parents do not feel welcome or wanted at the school. Teachers do not allow the students to use the bathroom, forcing them to urinate and defecate on themselves. If I could find another school for my child, I would leave today.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges 1

Posted February 26, 2016
The principal and teachers deny children access to the bathroom. They should be fired. Hopefully the parent who was assaulted sues the school and the parties involved.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 09, 2015
To the teachers who stand up for what they believe in and not feel bullied or pressured to do what the principal wants.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted December 09, 2015
Some teachers try their best, others don't. There are some that are not prepared to teach students and others just give the feeling that they are just there for a paycheck.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges 2

Posted December 09, 2015
We no longer have a welcoming feeling from the new Principal. She put on a very good act while she was on probation, but the lack of respect for parents, students and teachers is very evident.

Posted September 17, 2013
My daughter really loves the school, staff and her classmates. She looks forward to going to school every single day and is extremely happy there. We've also met some really wonderful families who truly care about the success of the school. As for the curriculum - it isn't very exciting and we wish there were more enrichment/after-school activities. Though for that to happen the school really needs the parent community to step up and be more involved. The teachers have been great - especially her 2nd grade teacher who went above and beyond to enrich their lives (offered chess lessons and jazz Fridays). The school also has an exceptional music teacher who produces the greatest end of year musicals! Unfortunately, the music program finds itself on the "chopping block" year after year. All in all, a good school with room for improvement.

Posted September 16, 2013
Our longtime principal retired this year and we have a new principal Ms. Tami Flynn (greatschools - you need to update your info!). She has big shoes to fill but I'm sure she's up to the task as we received an introduction letter from her on the first day of school. PS 193 hasa wonderful parent community with huge potential for making a difference, but we just don't have enough parents involved and it's a shame. Other than that I'm very happy with my child's academic progress in CIG. I think there could be more challenge in math and the DOE's mandatory curriculum change basically set the class back by a year to make sure everyone learned math "the new way". But the school tries really hard and the effort from all staff is palpable, except for the parent coordinator.

Posted September 16, 2013
I think the school provides a decent education, and so far I haven't seen anything that I considered better in the rest of Brooklyn, even though some of my friends' children attend private schools, as well as other well-regarded public schools. We have other options, closer to our home, for example, but have been happy enough to send our child to PS193. We like that the administration has been responsive to our needs, there are some great teachers, and we have seen great progress, especially in reading and writing for our child. She has also very much enjoyed music lessons, both singing and flutaphone, as well as gotten exposure to French language and culture. We made good friends with some of the other families in the school. The school has a very nice playground, where our child stays after school . There are downsides -- the lunchroom is very loud, and our child said that sometimes staff yell at children, especially in the lunchroom.

Ps 193 Gil Hodges 5

Posted September 11, 2013
My child is so happy about learning and always being encourage to read and learn.Am so grateful for the staff at ps193.thanks.

2515 Avenue L, Brooklyn, NY  11210
Last modified Ps 193 Gil Hodges is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.