Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

After having 3 wonderful years under principal Cumino, we had to transfer our son from CIG program to a different school. The new principal mrs Flynn was horrible and completely destroyed G@T program.

After nine years of having two children at the school ( in the CIG program) we are transferring our daughter out of the school for fifth grade. When we first arrived at the school and Mr. Cimino was in charge of the school environment was one of inclusion kindness and consideration. Over the past few years, the environment has become hostile unsupportive and in some cases bullying. It is truly a shame that this one's stellar school is now not even average. I would not recommend anyone send his or her child here.

The principal is abusive to students, parents and staff. She makes decisions contrary to the will of parents and staff. Parents do not feel welcome or wanted at the school. Teachers do not allow the students to use the bathroom, forcing them to urinate and defecate on themselves. If I could find another school for my child, I would leave today.

The principal and teachers deny children access to the bathroom. They should be fired. Hopefully the parent who was assaulted sues the school and the parties involved.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some teachers try their best, others don't. There are some that are not prepared to teach students and others just give the feeling that they are just there for a paycheck.

We no longer have a welcoming feeling from the new Principal. She put on a very good act while she was on probation, but the lack of respect for parents, students and teachers is very evident.

My daughter really loves the school, staff and her classmates. She looks forward to going to school every single day and is extremely happy there. We've also met some really wonderful families who truly care about the success of the school. As for the curriculum - it isn't very exciting and we wish there were more enrichment/after-school activities. Though for that to happen the school really needs the parent community to step up and be more involved. The teachers have been great - especially her 2nd grade teacher who went above and beyond to enrich their lives (offered chess lessons and jazz Fridays). The school also has an exceptional music teacher who produces the greatest end of year musicals! Unfortunately, the music program finds itself on the "chopping block" year after year. All in all, a good school with room for improvement.

Our longtime principal retired this year and we have a new principal Ms. Tami Flynn (greatschools - you need to update your info!). She has big shoes to fill but I'm sure she's up to the task as we received an introduction letter from her on the first day of school. PS 193 hasa wonderful parent community with huge potential for making a difference, but we just don't have enough parents involved and it's a shame. Other than that I'm very happy with my child's academic progress in CIG. I think there could be more challenge in math and the DOE's mandatory curriculum change basically set the class back by a year to make sure everyone learned math "the new way". But the school tries really hard and the effort from all staff is palpable, except for the parent coordinator.

I think the school provides a decent education, and so far I haven't seen anything that I considered better in the rest of Brooklyn, even though some of my friends' children attend private schools, as well as other well-regarded public schools. We have other options, closer to our home, for example, but have been happy enough to send our child to PS193. We like that the administration has been responsive to our needs, there are some great teachers, and we have seen great progress, especially in reading and writing for our child. She has also very much enjoyed music lessons, both singing and flutaphone, as well as gotten exposure to French language and culture. We made good friends with some of the other families in the school. The school has a very nice playground, where our child stays after school . There are downsides -- the lunchroom is very loud, and our child said that sometimes staff yell at children, especially in the lunchroom.

My child is so happy about learning and always being encourage to read and learn.Am so grateful for the staff at ps193.thanks.

Last modified Ps 193 Gil Hodges is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.