Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have been lucky to have great teachers.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My child's teacher is always helpful with any questions she may have.

Since getting our new principal (Mr. Paingankar) two years ago, the school underwent a huge change for the better. Kids are happier, communication with parents has improved. We now have arts enrichment activities during and after school. Overall environment is friendlier and patents' voices finally matter. Two of my kids have gone to PS 236. We have two local elementary schools and I am looking forward to sending my younger son to PS 236 next year as well.

My daughter is in kindergarten and has a wonderful teacher ms. Lahmani...I'm sad that we'll b moving as she has really come to love her teacher and classmates and has learned so much...I'm very pleased so far

My son is is Kindergarten. I feel very comfortable and pleased with the excellent job that his teacher is doing not only for my son, but for all the kids in her classroom. There were a few incidences with my son being there for the first few weeks because he came from a sedated pre-k school and could not adapt to his new and free environment. His teacher was very kind, caring and concerned which made me feel comfortable as a parent and at the same time helped my son to become more adaptable. The principal, the parent co-ordinator, the staff are all very kind and friendly as well, no problem in those areas.

I must say I agree with most of these comments the parents put up about the parent coordinator. She is very unprofessional and rude! I never in my life dealt with such a rude staff especially in a children environment. She did not make us feel welcomed on his first day and at first I thought she was having a bad day but then I experienced numerous unprofessional encounters with her. I wish I read these comments before enrolling my child to this school. I will be looking for another school very soon.

I have 2 children attending this school. My oldest is in 5th grade, my youngest is in 2nd grade. For 6 years I have experienced the unprofesionalism and rudeness of the staff especially parent coordinator Labella. She is not only rude and generally uncaring, but also quick to hurry you along while she tends to the needs of the more desirable parents. Thoes who drive the "right" kind of car or who do not get "free Lunch". I had high expectations of this school. When we enrolled it had the best rating. On my initial visit and like many other parents I was sent away becaus I was not "Zonned for the school". When I came back with a G&T letter stating choice enrolement of any G&T school in NYC their tune changed. The office staff is also very rude, greating you with a "what do you want" and "sit down there" as if it were a detention center and not an elementry school. It seems as though the new principal is trying, but this school has had many principal changes in the last 5 years than. Since my older child will be leaving this institution I am strongly considering pulling my younger child from this school with hopes of a school more accepting of all backgrounds.

Well, the most I can say about PS 236 is this: now, as an adult, I can say that the education at PS 236 was an "uneven" experience for me. It wasn't the worst or the best school I've ever attended. I was there from 1979-1984 from 1-5th grades. Things I remember that were good: I LOVED my second grade teacher Helen Nussbaum, who was an AMAZING educator, and encouraged her class to be creative, especially in the Arts & Music. All my other teachers there were so-so. The school was focused on integrating computer learning into it's curriculum for 5th graders, which at the time in 1984 was pretty revolutionary. It was a better school than my JHS ended up being, but compared to the other PS schools in the neighborhood where I grew up, this was a better school. It was fairly far away from my neighborhood, but that was fine. I see that it stil continues to get fairly decent ratings, and ostensibly is still a fairly well run school. One last note: the principal of PS 236 when I attended was a man named Irving Rahinsky, he was a very nice and fair man, and a good principal. I remember him fondly, and so do my parents. All in all, a good school, but there are probably better.

As a parent of this fabulous school, I feel that that the staff goes above and beyond their job to help my children succeed. The teachers have devoted countless hours planning exciting lessons and projects to challenge my children. This new and fresh administration truly work as a team. It is transparent that they care about all the children. Since the new principal arrived, my children come home daily and talk about how he has really gotten to know them through one on one conversations. No matter what the weather is, the principal is outside greeting and talking to the parents. The Parent Coordinator has helped me in numerous situations. She is very intelligent about the Common Core Standards in ELA and Math. My children go to school with a big smile this year and I know it is because of all the professional, kind and respectful people at P.S.236. This is the best elementary school around!

This school is a complete disaster. The teachers manipulate parents to build cases against other children. The administration is clueless and not involved with the parents. This school treats children so unfairly and the principal is unable to control is mindless teachers. Forget the Parent Coordinator she is a waste! If I could give no stars I would! The school would benefit from a complete change in leadership and a deeper look into some of their teachers practices.

Last modified Ps 236 Mill Basin is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.