Brooklyn, NY

Posted November 27, 2014
This school is on the way up. The new administration has made it clear that this is a new day and has done a lot to include parents in the life of the school. The new Principal is open minded, progressive, and smart. Regaining the trust of parents and staff is high on his agenda and already there are signs of a new openness, and a desire to make this District 13 school one of the best. The new PTO has mostly new members from the communities that the school serves the most and bring a wealth of experiences and ideas. From maintaining the schools Arts & Technology offerings, distinguishing the G&T Program, to making to Middle School a top choice, in the district, 282 is on the way up. My child has a lot to look forward to in the coming years.
2 people found this helpful

Ps 282 Park Slope 1

Posted September 29, 2014
This school has done nothing but decline over the past 7 years. From the racial tensions amongst parents to the problems w the principal to the PTO that segregates itself from the rest of the parent body, this school needs a lot of work. Nothing has changed for the better, it has gotten progressively worse and this year in particular is starting off to the one of the worst of all. You have new administration who is just as bad as the former. Children's recess already taken away in only the first few weeks. More rules than caring. Parents who are either not involved at all or just a select few who just hover around all day making more issues than solutions. Shame because this school was starting to have promise. Not anmymore with this new admin AND parents who cause too many problems instead of working to find solutions

Posted April 03, 2014
Love this school and it's diversity...my kids have been very happy at 282 for 6 years and as long as they are happy, mommy is happy! There are many involved parents who do their best each and every day to ge this school from good to great!!!

Ps 282 Park Slope 0

Posted April 02, 2014
I am a parent at 282, my daughter enjoys all the enrichment programs our PTO provides to the students here. She came home so excited having learned gymnastics during her gym period. This was thanks to the parent volunteers who raise $$ each year for 282. I think there is a strong community here with so much growth potential! I am a proud 282 parent!

Posted April 02, 2014
My school is a lovely school in Park Slope which draws students from throughout Brooklyn. The teachers are dedicated and a large percentage of the parents are very involved (in a good way). My children are happy and learning, and I am enjoying getting to know other parents and helping the school through volunteer activities.

Ps 282 Park Slope 5

Posted April 02, 2014
The Park Slope School has such wonderful enrichment programs for the students. I'm shocked.that the locals attend such an overcrowded school up the road, when 282 has everything a child needs to develop and flourish. Oh, and their G&T program? Awesome!

Posted January 21, 2014
Great learning/bad environment. My kid scored above on the state exams. I took her out because the school spent too much time on unruly behavior, those who just sought any type of negative attention. It was too much for us as it took away from the learning. Get rid of the kids who don't want to learn because this school laid the ground work for her to excel in her current school. We love the no nonsense of the Principal and wish it extended to the upper grades. Like I said great learning/bad environment.

Ps 282 Park Slope 5

Posted January 20, 2014
Overall, I would give this school a 5. I am always amazed when I see post that are so negative. I have lived in the community for over 20 years and can say that this is a great school, not perfect , but certainly one that I would and did send my children. I am struck, by the segregation that has existed between the two neighborhood schools. I am also wondering where so much negativity is coming from? I find that Ms. Alexis fights for her students and holds teachers accountable. There are a multitude of programs, every classroom is a smartroom, there is a computer lab, new library, international and national trips, partnerships with universities, competitive chess clubs, theater summer program and more. Living in the community, I have attended meetings where supposedly progressive parents have complained about the school and the children who they feel are not from the area. Some of us who are really progressive, wondered if this was some sort of code for the clearly brown children that predominate. Most of what is in the very negative post seem so foreign to me and the experiences of my children. I hope that those who are interested, will visit the school on their own.

Ps 282 Park Slope 3

Posted October 02, 2013
A joyless institution that doesn't serve the progressive liberal community that reflects North Park Slope today. Beyond the G&T classes, there's really not much to recommend it, certainly not the non existent arts program, the PC who will never reply to emails, the hostile pupil secretary, and the rigid old-school principal who who's main interaction with kids is shrieking at them in the morning.

Ps 282 Park Slope 1

Posted September 20, 2013
Horrible Schol I was so happy to get my kids out of this school, the principal ran the school like it was her business.It was her way and no one else.

Ps 282 Park Slope
180 6th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11217
Last modified Ps 282 Park Slope is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 282 Park Slope Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top