Brooklyn, NY

Posted September 15, 2014
If I could give it Zero stars I would. My daughter, niece and nephew went to this school. The main office staff is Very Rude and unprofessional . The teachers spend their time focusing on certain students instead of the entire class. I've never seen or met the principle. I'm trying to discharge my child and they won't let me do it. Horrible! Never heard of anything like that!

Ps 284 Lew Wallace 3

Posted October 18, 2013
PS 284 has improved greatly since Mrs Pitts-Girard became principal. Under her leadership 284 went from a D to a B. She has brought more programs to the school to help enrich the students both personally and academically. Your child will receive a solid education at ps 284

Posted May 28, 2009
My children went to Ps284 . Since they both have left i can see a big difference from the work and the interest in the staff at there others schools. The school just needs alittle more parent involment .

Posted May 06, 2009
My son went to 284 for k-1 and part of second grade. There is no leadership in the school. The staff and administration shows no interest in the students, the principal is never visible ! Since I removed my son from the school in Dec I have seen a major improvement in his academics skills

Posted July 17, 2008
My son went to P.S. 284 grades K-1. The teachers that I dealt with and some of the staff was excellent. The biggest problem I saw at the school was the lack of presence from the principal. If the head doesn't seem to care about engaging with students, parents or the community, I feel the school will end up divided and weakend. Parents, teachers and the staff that really care end up frustrated and either leave or transfer. ( I transferred my son for the 2nd grade). This is why the school continues to fail. The strength begins with the head, and at P.S 284 there is no head, no leadership.

Posted June 24, 2008
I am a ex student of PS. 284. While there i learned a lot of things about different subjects ; however, 284 gave me a since of family. the teacher took the time to relate to the issues children faced in the surrounding community. They treated us like there family instead of their students. For this reason alone i personaly would like to thank teh staff at P.S. 284.

Posted February 25, 2008
The administration talks about doing what is best for the kids, but their words ring hollow. They talk down to parent,s students and teachers and carry themselves with an undeserved sense of accomplishment. The school has taken a considerable turn for the worse in the years since Ms. Pond left. Her replacement leaves much to be desired.

Posted September 01, 2007
this school can do better and they need hlep with everyone in it our kids need hlep in all they work it's not a game any more and we need more safety in our schools our kids need

Posted June 27, 2007
Academic programs are limited on what is taught. Teachers complain that they don't have enough time to teach everything and on top of that there are a lot of children that are disruptive in the classrooms which leaves even less time for them to teach because they have to deal with those children. Music is non existant. There is no regular music class. There is art, gym and swimming, but no competitive sports or extracurricular activities. The level of parent involvement is at almost zero. Wether it is a Parents Association meeting or a workshop parents hardly show up. They do not participate in much with the school but at the same time they do not always feel welcome. There is alot that has to be done to change the way things are going at this school and it should start with the kids who feel that they are untouchable.

213 Osborn Street, Brooklyn, NY  11212
Last modified Ps 284 Lew Wallace is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 284 Lew Wallace Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top