Brooklyn, NY

Posted August 06, 2015
I absolutely love BNS as a child growing up and going to private school I was so worried in placing my daughter in a public school questioning will she get the fundamentals that she needed...then I remembered how much pressure was placed on me when I was in private school and I didn't want that for my child this is one of the reasons why I placed my daughter in BNS 146. my child's voice and opinion was always taken into consideration there was never a stupid answer or question. my daughter looked forward to school and even got upset when it came to winter and spring breaks but I had to explain to her teachers and students need to time off to rest their brains so you can have a fresh start. What I love most about the school are how frequent they go on trips and these are trips where the children are learning they are required to bring their notebooks to draw pictures and write little paragraphs about what they've seen or learn. my daughters teachers were so supportive of me and my work schedule and understood what I wanted for my child and they fulfilled my requests. BNS teachers pay real close attention to your children and see what catches their eye and what they like and they would push that. my daughter love books so they gave her options to go to their school's library to pick books that she liked and was easy for her to read. My child started BNS in kindergarten 2014 and by the end of 2015 I have seen a difference in her writing reading even her speech, she doesn't just draw just to draw my daughter draws pictures telling a story. I may be making this school sound like a fairytale like it's perfect all I can say it's perfect for my daughter. Now the only downfall are the crowded hallways in the morning and afternoon some classrooms may be overcrowded or the classrooms are just placed together too close but besides that I couldn't be more happy and this 2015-2016 year we are going to 1st Grade and we can't wait. YAY!

Posted April 19, 2015
We could not be happier at BNS. The teachers are so caring and dedicated. The children are treated with respect and everyone uses their first name. My children love going to school here. Two of my kids have learning issues and the school has worked hard to make sure they have the support they need to thrive in the classroom. You won't find any mindless test prep here at BNS. As a matter of fact, 95% of our parents opted out (up from 80% last year) of the state tests. The principal and teachers really support us as parents in making the right choices for our children. BNS is a rare gem of a school in NYC. I couldn't imagine having our children anywhere else.

Posted August 17, 2014
Brooklyn New School Is an academically wonderful environment in all aspects of learning for the children confidence .It is totally progressive over the traditionally public school system. The students are the ingredient parts of strong leadership of teachers, school administrations and parents involvement. We will have third and fourth grade students for the fall of 2014.

Posted January 18, 2012
I love this school. More importantly, my daughters love this school, love their teachers and wake up excited to go to school in the morning. Parent involvement is very good. Thanks BNS.

P.S. 146 1

Posted July 28, 2011
My review from 2007 which reviewed the current principal and staff was removed. She was called a pitbull principal for a reason and she met that title when she mocked my child like a playground bully during a meeting. Some girls parents filed a case against teachers who pulled hair as punishment in my 2nd graders class. They lost my preK son one day and couldn't recall when the last time they saw him since lunch. The PreK teacher showed up late to greet the kids in the morning across the street at the park as planned, but leaving parents on their own to watch over other kids whose parents had to go work, almost 2 times per week. The principal's response: "Teacher has kids and responsibilities too". The result to pullng my son out after being mocked to tears in front of me, she called CPS which said she had file one too many frivolous cases. Case was closed before it was opened.

Posted June 22, 2011
I have had two of my three children attend BNS. The third will be entering Kindergarden in the fall. My oldest is now a 10th grader in BCS. My children love to attend school and are actually upset there are weekends and holidays off! Also, the two also received special education services and are now doing extremely well with their studies. I love this school because it teaches my children the way I raise them, they have the ability to know for themselves how to learn and create. An amazing school that all schools should be modeled after.

P.S. 146 1

Posted April 04, 2011
PS 146 also has reviews under the title Brooklyn New School. The latter seemed to have surfaced after this school title showed very concerning reviews. How does a school get listed on Great Schools and why were hey allowed to add their school a second time using their other title?

P.S. 146 4

Posted December 19, 2010
We have a child at BNS and are very happy with her teacher for the first time since she started there 3 years ago. everyone at the school seems to share the same progressive ideas about politics and education but for some faculty administration and parents its all talk whereas some people at the school work tirelessly to fulfill those ideals. Not sure if we had to pick again if we would make the same choice. Despite the progressive views espoused by many of the parent to my eye it seems like a disproportionate # of the students have behavioral issues. And because there is a certain self contentedness among teachers,admin and parents it is unlikely that things will improve. Submitted by a parent

Posted October 10, 2010
Dynamic teaching, a rigorous, carefully-planned curriculum, a diverse school community that values critical thinking while it fosters mutual respect, appreciation of difference, and truly joyful learning.

P.S. 146

Posted October 09, 2010
we love the school's philosophy, which is child centered and project based. The children learn through meaningful exploration and they are treated with much respect.

P.S. 146
610 Henry Street, Brooklyn, NY  11231
Last modified P.S. 146 is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
P.S. 146 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top