Brooklyn, NY

A Fantis Parochial School 4

Posted February 16, 2013
My son in in UPK/PreK 4 this year and I am very pleased with the program! We stumbled upon AFantis incidentally while we were scrambling for a place to send our son expecting to get shut out of the public school lottery. A neighbor told us about this school and we got in. The tuition is so affordable, and you get a "real school" experience (including field trips, holiday concerts) unlike what you'd get at a Daycare extension program. It's a catholic school but baptism is not required to go to PreK. (beyond that the child has to be baptized) The group is split in half in the beginning of the year, and one classroom goes to church 1x/month-the other half does not. If you don't want your kid to go to church specify this with the principal. The principal is unprofessional and doesn't treat her staff with a lot of respect. But she's doing something right--those kids (up to 8th gr) are the most polite preteens/teens ive seen. they are enthusiastic and respectful! its quite nice! There are 2-3 (1 teacher and 1-2 paras) in each classroom which is amazing. And these ladies are all outstanding. I'll miss them next year.

Posted February 01, 2011
This school is a gem. I have been a parent of this school for 3 years and it is amazing how much the teacher's care. Ms. Jeanine, Ms. Kathy, Ms. Patty, Ms. Vicki, Ms. Jenna, Ms. Poulon, Father Lardis, Dr. Farkouh and all of the staff at A Fantis really help these children become the best they can be. The class sizes are small, which is extremely important. Public schools, even the most sought out schools, are no where near as good when it comes to core curriculum. The kids take weekly spelling tests and with really challenging words. I love this school and look forward to a long and happy journey through 8th grade

Posted January 07, 2011
My daughter has been going to Fantis for 2 years. We are familiar with the Principal since she was a well known Principal in Bay Ridge . My daughter is doing extremely well. She is only 4 and can already read and write. She speaks Greek and is socially very confident. She loves school and looks forward to going everyday. The teachers are excellent. The parents comprise a bright, international group of people. My only hope is for more sports programs as the children get older. We love it!

A Fantis Parochial School 2

Posted August 12, 2010
Having spent a few years at Fantis, I am familiar with all the academics and goals the school strives for as a whole and for it s students. The teachers at Fantis are very good, and overall, I have zero complaints about them. The teachers are very professional (despite some short-tempers & occasional mistreatments) and will provide you with vast and powerful knowledge that will stay with you for years to come. The principal, however, is probably the most disappointing aspect of the school. Initially she s very kind and accepts you immediately (along with the cash you re willing to give for admission) but once you develop a relationship with the school and, inevitably, the principal herself you will find her to be an unprofessional, shrewish, and arrogant woman. She has (consciously or unconsciously) insulted my family and myself - we are all relieved that we no longer have any ties t

A Fantis Parochial School 4

Posted April 22, 2010

Posted March 24, 2010
I have two children that attend A Fantis, one in Pre K 3 and one in K. Overall I am very happy with the school. We are not Greek, and I do not feel my children are treated any different, you can see the school becoming more diversified each year. I am very happy with the teachers, the decipline, the small class sizes, the accademics, plus the bonus of learning a second language. Each child is known by name, and it is very warm welcoming school. I also like that they do religous education, which by no means is over the top, they go to Mass I think once a month. Fr John Lardas is very kind and approachable, and has children of his own. The tuition is very affordable, so extra money is needed by funraising like any other school, to make improvements for the childrens benefit.

Posted March 17, 2010
My son has been in this school since he was 3, he is currently in PK4, turning 5 in July. I have nothing but good things to say about the school. He started out shy and socially insecure. He is now very confident, happy, polite and socially adept, and has great problem solving skills. While parenting plays a big role, I give credit to A. Fantis for providing the education and discipline and a sense of family that a child needs at that age. I know that I can contact the main office and they instantly know who I am and will address my needs immediately. Tuition is affordable, and why so hard on the principal Dr. Farkouh? She needs to fundraise to keep that school moving ahead. The teachers are excellent all in all, I love this school.

Posted December 05, 2009
This our first year at A Fantis and we are finding the school to be the right mix academically and socially for our precocious middle schooler. I am impressed with the diversity of the school, the high standards, the small class size, and the obvious care that is put into to teaching the children each and every day.

Posted June 23, 2009
We just completed our first year at A Fantis. Overall, I'm very pleased by the educational standards, curriculum, staff, equipment and facilities. I believe this school is a great value compared to other local private schools and I'm amazed by the low tuition they charge. I m surprised by the negative comments about the principal - I have always found her to be committed, intelligent and sincere. She knows each student by name and makes the school feel more like a family. The staff and students exhibit a lot of pride, which also speaks volumes. There is no denying the Christian element of the school, but I have not found it overbearing. We are looking forward to another year.

Posted December 31, 2008
In response to previous comments about the school being Catholic. Of course the school is a parochial school and has the prerogative to include as much religious education as it wants. The real issue is the principal's dishonesty about the amount of religious education. When I was on a tour of the school, I asked specifically what the religious curriculum was like, given that I am neither Greek nor Catholic myself. Her answer was that the little ones (my son is in pre-K) are too young for religion & that 'the father' comes in and talks to them about being good. That was a flat out lie. The children go to church once/month, learn about the religious holidays as part of their regular education, etc. My complaint, therefore, is that the principal actually does hide the level of education in order to boost enrollment. Agree with previous statements about her unprofessionalism.

A Fantis Parochial School
195 State St, Brooklyn, NY  11201
Last modified A Fantis Parochial School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
A Fantis Parochial School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top