Ps 14 Fairview

Public | K-5 & ungraded | 1605 students

Posted February 2, 2014

Wow I was class 04-05 and seeing my year book brought so many memories I can't believe that the principal is still Dr. Cipriani-Sklar this has been one of the best schools I have ever been at... P.S.14 Q best elementry school ever I miss it so much

Posted January 11, 2014

I have been in this school for five years. Now I am in fifth grade. I had loved it ! This school is amazing! the teachers always help meet children goals.

Posted September 30, 2013

THIS SCHOOL WAS AMAZING I GRADUATED IN JUNE I HAVE BEEN IN THE SCHOOL SINCE FIRST GRADE!MY FIRST GRADE TEACHER WAS MS.BURGOS MY SCEOND GRADE TEACHER WAS MR.HAMMON MY THRID GRADE TEACHER WAS MS.TERIS MY FOURTH GRADE TEACHER WAS MS.OBRIEN AND THE BEST ONE OF ALL WAS MY FIFTH GRADE TEACHER MS.BAUDO I LOVED HER AND SHE WAS THE BEST TEACHER EVER! I MISS YOU PS14!

Posted September 20, 2013

I graduated this year in june and I was very happy because all of the kids,staff,and specially the teachers were really nice. I came to ps14 since 3rd grade. My third grade teacher was Ms.LaPuma and she was sooooo nice. My 4th grade teacher was Ms.Bica. She was also very nice. But the NICEST AND FUNNIEST one of all......was my fifth grade teacher MS.DIAZ. She would explain everything and she was soo happy all the time. I really miss 5th grade because special things happened in my life in 5th grade. Specially with the best teacher. But I also miss my music teacher Ms.Ortega and Ms.Wallace and specially my sweet music teacher Mr.Drake. I miss all of them and I want to thank them for all they did for my education. With Dr.Sklar as a pricipal we were really learning a lot.

Posted June 12, 2013

Lol I graduated in 2005 and back then the school was amazing. The principal was the best. What's it like now?

Posted September 29, 2012

I loved PS 14....it was amazing. To the person below...WHO ARE YOU?! You were in my class last year! It's NAOMI! :L You know, I played drums, was in drama club...extremely weird. Come on, who could forget me? D: ANYWHO, this school was great. LLOOOOVE IT! And Im gonna miss it :'((

Posted July 31, 2012

I just graduated from this school... Class of 2012.. I loved it and will remember all of my great teachers and friends... (Lol It also rocked because I was in honors class from 1st to 5th grade!! Haha) 5th grade- Mrs. Iman 4th grade- Mrs. Bica 3rd grade- Mrs. Sacco (I hated Mrs. Sacco -_-) 2nd grade- Mrs. Safrazza 1st grade- Mrs. Burgos... I will miss P.S 14!!!!!! Oh and my band teacher Mr. Drake(professional musician Jerome Drake :D .. taught me to play clarinet)

Posted May 25, 2012

I think P.S. 14 is amazing and a talented school. The teachers, staff members, and principles are nice and they help you learn. It is drug free school.

Posted August 31, 2011

I started school at P.S.14 in 1945 and it good than. The teacher were good we couldn't get away with anything....I will never forget...

Posted January 16, 2011

I am a student that graduated in 2005. I am now a Junior in one of the city's specialized high-schools. To this day i still remember my wonderful experience at PS.14. I remember the names if all of my teachers and the principal there. The Staff cares about the well being of the students and they strive to maintain the most professional learning environment possible. The only thing I remember disliking was quiet time at lunch!

Posted November 5, 2009

This is the best school my children have ever gone to. My job has relocated me three times since my children were in elementary school, Denver, Atlanta and now New York and this has been the best school I have encountered! The principal is excellent, and that trickles down to the care the teachers give to the students. The administrative staff is helpful and if your child needs any extra help for state test, they are there in the morning (7am) and even on Saturday. My son graduated last year from P.S. 14 and my daughter still attends this year. Acedemic wise, they get it! Bravo!

Posted September 21, 2009

It is difficult to rate it as yet sicne school only started a week ago, but so far so good my son was tested for language and scored very high on the exam and as a result was moved to another class room. So, if that is an indication of how much attention they pay to the kids then I am satisfied that they watch closely for progress and that give me a feeling that they will appropriately place the children as they progress along the school year.

Posted July 15, 2008

My son is a recent graduate from PS14, and attended the school for 5 years. I couldn't be more thankful to the entire staff, teachers, and Dr. Sklar (principal), for making this a great school. I know that with the education he received here, he is very well prepared for middle school and beyond.

Posted November 27, 2006

I am not a parent but a graduate from PS 14. To this day I still remember the teachers, staff, and principal with fond memories. I still keep in touch with my classmates from this time, even though we have taken completely separate paths in life this school helped us form a tight bond. When I was there, the school had a variety of challenging programs as well as a safe environment which is extremely important at a tender age. One exceptional quality I liked about PS 14 was the community involvement, there used to be an adopt a grandparent program where the students were paired with a senior citizen. I learned alot in class as well as outside class. I hope the school has kept up the standards it had when I was there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 12, 2005

My son graduated from P.S. 14 in 2005. The staff at the school don't know what they are doing. When my son's teacher had to take a leave of absence, the teacher that replace her gave the children no homework or test. I had to take my child out of that class. Upon graduation he receive no guideline as to how he did that school's year.

Posted August 29, 2005

Considering this school is in the city, this school has very helpful and qualified teachers. This school tries their hardest for our children.

Posted March 16, 2004

Two of my three sons attend PS.14 and I could not be happier, the principal is caring, interested and very involved,the teachers are hardworking, loving, interested in our children! the extra curricular activities are also wonderful, there are many after school clubs to choose from, It may be the best school in Corona, I am so proud my children are getting the best education from this wonderful caring people.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students21%

English language learners11%
Proficient in English37%
Non-migrant28%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students22%

English language learners4%
Proficient in English31%
Non-migrant22%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 61%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 377 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.7

8.0

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.6

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.2

7.9

8.6

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.4

8.2

8.3

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents31522%
Teachers6259%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Cafeteria

• Instrumental music lessons

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

107-01 Otis Ave