Ps 13 Clement C Moore

Public | K-5 & ungraded | 1440 students

Posted February 22, 2014

Love this school! Excellent teachers and a wonderful principal. I am so glad that my daughter goes to this school!!

Posted January 20, 2014

Still think the 6 years there were the best part of my education. Graduated PS 13 in 1976. Have / have had a great career.

Posted October 9, 2013

My son and daughter are in P.S.13. since kindergarten. It is one of the best elementary schools out here..

Posted September 5, 2012

THE SCHOOL WAS TERRIFIC FOR THE TIME MY FIRT DAUGHTER WENT THERE. NOW 19 YEARS LATER MY SECOND DAUGHTER IS ABOUT TO ATTEND, I'M EXPECTING GREAT RESULTS REPEATED.

Posted April 25, 2012

i am currently a 5th grader at PS13 and i really love the school, im going to be very sad to be leaving this school in June. Although the school has its flaws, one of the assistant principals and the principal believe in strictness. I may not like them but actually i really love the school :)

Posted June 23, 2011

I am a 1998 graduate of PS 13. The school is full of energy and a warm welcoming atmosphere. The teachers and staff are very caring. Recently, the school has expanded and had a new building built and connected to the old one. I had gone for a parent-teacher conference a few months ago, and I was amazed by the changes. And more to my surprise, a few of the teachers remembered me, and by name! They remembered my entire family! Most of the time, we remember our elementary school teachers, but I had never expected them to remember me, especialy when over a decade has passed. The teachers are very excited for their students and they make sure no child is left behind in the curriculum. The school foster the concept of sharing, honesty, and inspiration. There is never a dull moment at PS 13, and the school continues to move forward itself and helping students stay curious/wanting to learn. My most memorable moment was have our own baby caterpillar (each student had their own), and watching it evolve into a butterfly and eventually freeing it outdoors. We also had the chance to raise tadpoles and watch them evolve into frogs.

Posted May 7, 2011

I love this school! I used to go there and I had the best time! The teachers are so nice!!! And I especially loved the senior trip! I was extremely lucky to go here. It is one of the best elementary schools out here..

Posted May 7, 2010

the current principle is really really horrible. she believe the only way to fix student is suspension. a great school under manage by a superficial principle. I am really worried about the future of this school.

Posted April 23, 2010

I really love this school but am starting to get worried about the food they serve because my children have complained that they do not like the food except when it is pizza day on friday. I would like the school to try to change the selections of some food. I will return to mention what food where not aproved by my children. Thank you

Posted November 4, 2009

Im a past student, and I can say that PS13 is one of the best elementary schools out there. Many kids who went to PS13 end up in great HS's such as Brooklyn Tech, Bronx Sci, Townsend Harris, and of course, Stuy. Great school, hats off to all the staff at PS13

Posted April 3, 2009

This is a great school with absolutely amazingly knowledgeable teachers and principal, who greatly cares about the education and wellbeing of our children. My only wish is that the parents would get more involved in their children s lives.

Posted November 7, 2007

I went to this school and now I am a college student. I learned so much here. One says that high school starts your future but I believe that it is elementary school. You learn all your basics here and later you put them in use throughout your other years. n e wayzzz I loveddd p.s. 13Q Thanks for a great start to my future :D

Posted November 16, 2006

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! I graduated 2 years ago and I still remember all the teachers, where everything is, the student whom I graduated with everything in that school I remember by heart. My favorite teacher was Mrs.Morrissey, she was my second grade teacher and she really loves to have fun and a teacher whom I will never forget is Mr.Drake, the band maestro, he was the teacher that got me interested in music as much as I am today. The best principal there that I've encountered was Mr.Mccabe, he was a good principal that cared about the students and the school. That school made me who I am today, a proud student at St. Leo's School.

Posted September 20, 2006

My two kids are in this school ps13since kindergarten, is a very good school even though is an school in neeed. I recomend this school it has a good principal and exelent teachers

Posted June 6, 2005

Unfortunately, I am not a 'parent.' On the contrary, I have a brother who attends the school. I am also essentially an alumna of the school. It may not be a prestigious school, but it's worth it to send your child there. I had graduated from there about 4-5 years ago. This school had prepared me on facing middle school and now high school. I used to be in the band and the school choir. The teachers are actually experienced. I remember when I was in 5th grade (which was a long time ago), there were monitors. The 5th graders would help the cafeteria ladies watch over the 1st graders. It's like creating a friendship among them. Ever since I attended middle school and high school, I've been on the Principal's List and the Honor Roll. Apparently, P.S. 13Q has prepared me to become who I am today.

Posted August 26, 2004

Wow! I graduated from P.S. 13 last June, and I think it was the best school ever. The dicepline was strong, and the teachers were great! I'll miss P.S. 13, but I was sure lucky that I went to that school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

261 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

264 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

263 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

265 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

196 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

204 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 57%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1238 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.3

8.4

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.5

7.3

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.6

7.7

7.4

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.3

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents115891%
Teachers8090%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• DR. YVONNE ANGELASTRO

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

55-01 94th St