Posted January 10, 2014
As a parent of a child that graduated from PS 165, I must say that the TEACHERS in this school are way above EXCELLENT. Without their caring and teaching methods of the basics needed to be learnt in Elementary School for moving ahead, my child would not have gone into the SP program in Middle School and graduated High School a year early. Then again, this was with the former Principal running this school. The school was a family back then , not a dictatorship as it has become. Reading the ratings on this site truly saddens me.

Posted January 09, 2014
The mere task of spreading holiday cheer became MISSION IMPOSSIBLE! This school is not a welcoming or warm environment! Just to give you a small example, my 5 year old who is in Kindergarten wanted to give her 2 teachers flowers for the holidays. On December 20th the last school day prior to this winter break, I stopped at the school to delivery flowers. I asked the secretary to call my child down and she literally refused. She said "it would be disruptive per the principal." SERIOUSLY!!! I tried to reason with her but I was talking to the wall! Even though I was upset, I attempted to have my daughter give her teachers the flowers at dismissal. Just so happen that for whatever reason her teachers left early and she was release by other school staff. I cant begin to tell you how upset she was!

Posted March 13, 2013
Warning, if your child has an IEP and needs services, this school s principle makes it so that your child will only receive the bare minimum. Performance requirement are also set higher without justification. Though there are several good Special Ed teachers P.S. 165 very few truly advocate for your child simply because they do not want to go against the principal. I am not familiar with the bureaucratic guidelines of how a school s performance is rated but it is obvious to me that the educational welfare of my child is second on this schools list.

Posted January 28, 2013
Took my child out of PS 165. The principal clearly sets the tone. Not purpose driven - it's rather performace driven. We could not be happier for changing schools. In less than 3 months the new school did what they could not in a year! My child finds fulfillment in achievements. The success of a school is indicative of all pieces coming together! Teachers, Administration and letting the parents be involved in their child s education. 82% of teachers reporting principal is a weak manager and percent of teachers reporting they don't trust principal. 64.5% of teachers reporting they STRONGLY believe principal is a weak manager and percent of teachers reporting they STRONGLY don't trust principal. Response Rate (percent of teachers who filled out the survey) 83

Posted December 10, 2012
I took my child out of this school and couldn't be happier with the decision. While he had a very caring teacher and decent service providers, they could not meet his needs because the principle was involved where she shouldn't have been. I always got an apologetic look from the teachers as if they were saying "my hands are tied." When I tried to speak to the principal, she talked in a patronizing tone, interrupting and refusing to listen to our concerns. Looking at statistics below, it all makes sense.

Posted March 23, 2012
I am also surprised that there are so many positive reviews. This school is too pushy. Teachers don't value parents' opinion. My child hates her school and her daughters and feels that teachers don't like her, because she is not pretty. This too when she is only in Kindergarten..... What could be making a kindergarterner feel this way. I am planning to move my child to a different school.

Ps 165 Edith K Bergtraum 0

Posted March 21, 2010
i feel discriminated in this school and at last i have to change my child school

Posted July 28, 2009
both of my daughters are in this school and one of my girls has a moderate hearing loss. I must say that her teacher took such an excellent care of her the whole entire year, my daughter reached her goals by the end of the year and I couldnt thank more to Ps 165 for putting so much effort and attention into my kids.

Posted June 05, 2009

Posted May 07, 2009
The Alpha (Gifted and Talented) Program is well established here. The kids in the program get an incredible education. They get very strong academics and an arts education that include 1 year of recorder, 2 years of violin, and lots of dance. They also have a choice of band, chorus or dance club in the upper grades. Kids are encouraged to reach within themselves and they really come out of their shell. By the time they graduate, they are well accomplished, independent and well-rounded. It's a great program!!

Ps 165 Edith K Bergtraum
70-35 150th St, Flushing, NY  11367
Last modified Ps 165 Edith K Bergtraum is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 165 Edith K Bergtraum Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top