Posted July 02, 2014
I'm all for kids having fun, but in a school, I primarily want to make sure my child is learning well and establishing a good foundation for his future. so far, PS 144 has been amazing in that regard. the teachers and principal encourage parent participation and provide detailed feedback on my son's progress in class. They are always responsive to queries and guide me on areas that I can focus on at home to supplement his learnin in school. Other than reading, writing and math, they also have special science residencies, art, dance, and music lessons and also run a great after school program. The parents association is very involved and help out new parents with a strong support system. another great bonus is the great cultural diversity in the classroom here. In my son's class there are about 15 different countries represented and the parents are all involved in their childs education. In todays global times, I think these are the elements that prepare anyone for a strong future ahead, and I'm glad I gave up my son's G&T seat elsewhere to come to PS 144.

Posted May 14, 2014
my older boy is in the G&T class since 3rd grade. he love it here. my younger son join the same program in first grade. Both of their teachers are great, warm, reachable (email are welcome by both teachers), giving them attention and support. but the best of all is The Principle - Ms Schneider is the greatest scholar you ever meet. She is involved with classes, school events, supports knowledge, friendship and challenge. Our parent - teacher coordinate ALWAYS gives you an answer within short time and ALWAYS helps us with anything. PS 144 needs every parent to be involved in fundraising, bake sales, trips...etc . We love PS 144. Keep the good work and math circle.

Posted April 02, 2014
Is a great school, I recently moved to New York and enrolled my daughter in this school. The principal and teachers have advised me that my daughter is regularized. I have lots of support from the school regarding the integration

Posted November 06, 2013
My son just started kindergarten at this school and we love it. The administration is very open and engaged and parent participation and feedback are very welcomed. My son is already reading and writing and loves doing his math homework. The PA is very active and strong. This school is great!

Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen 4

Posted October 28, 2013
this school is very good, all teachers are nice, the teacher in fourth grade put many effort in math quick quiz which improved the students's skill. my son is in ESL now, their ESL teacher is good, nice and have sense of responsibility. My son has improved much in reading and writing.

Posted October 24, 2013
My son is in K this year. He absolutely loves his teacher and has great respect for her. It has been almost two months only, and I can already see great improvement in his writing and reading. The principal greets kids and parents as we show up every morning with big smile and hugs. She and the staff are very open to parents, their questions and input. My son and me are very happy!!!! Thank you PS144

Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen 2

Posted September 11, 2013
This school has good teachers and strong PA community, however, the school officials are rude and not willing to work with parents.

Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen 4

Posted August 01, 2013
PS 144 is a wonderful school to start with. The programs and the level of education is fair. It's can be great at times, and certainly above average. The level of education your child receives REALLY depends on who the teacher is. I have 2 kids in PS144, and it's been a mixed bag of teachers, some exceptionally great and some...well..don't seem to want to be there, other than for the paychecks. The administration is very good and caring. I definitely want to give them lots of credit, and probably a good reason why the school is in strong standings. The PA is strong some years and weak in others, and all depends on the leaders voted in, and the amount of parent participation. The whole experience can be a hit-or-miss, and it sort of hinges on who the teacher is, and the parents in the class. Depending on the mix, you could get a fantastic or really bad year.

Posted December 19, 2012
I can't say enough good things about this school. The PA is awesome! They are the engine for all of the extracurricular activities that make this school stand out above the rest! There are residencies in every grade; the kids participate in enrichment programs/cultural activities that are otherwise not provided by the DOE. The philosophy if the school is to educate kids be well rounded individuals rather than just focusing on testing on standardized testing. The school community is very nurturing and collective. Anything that I don't like about the school has to do with the current education mentality in this country rather than with the school itself. A happy and progressive parent

Posted March 20, 2012
Previous reviewer: while I agree with you wholeheartedly about the quality of faculty and programming at 144, I hope you will take the time to develop a greater understanding of the role of the PA board. Among other valuable programs, our fundraising supports the art and science residencies that mitigate the lack of full DOE support in the visual and performing arts. The PA also supports the school's Penny Harvest and other community-oriented fundraisers, which certainly promote greater social consciousness. I agree that plastic or sugary treats are far from ideal, but these only make up a small portion of the fundraising efforts, and these incentives, unfortunately, seem to be the only means to entice some to donate. Those who have the financial wherewithal donate without premium, and I hope we may count you among them. As for the co-managed seats, note that these positions are time-intensive and with so many initiatives to manage, it is only fair that the unpaid responsibilities of these positions be shared. I hope you find the time to work with the PA and perhaps take on some of these responsibilities, attend meetings, and even suggest approaches you find less compromising.

Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen
93-02 69th Ave, Forest Hills, NY  11375
Last modified Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 144 Col Jeromus Remsen Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top