No rating

St. Joan of Arc Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 579 students

We are best known for academic excellence.

Living in Jackson Heights

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $245,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Sweep tile

Posted October 18, 2013

My daughter is 36 years old and she studied at St Joan of Arc, now her son is attending Prek-3... Education is amazing and kids learn values that help them thru their lives

Posted September 12, 2013

This is a great school. My daughter is in third grade and she loves going to school here. The teachers are wonderful and the principal is also very nice. They expect the kids to do theri work and thats great because it teaches them responsibility for their future. They dont hassle you about tuition they work different payment plans with you. I transfered my daughter from Our lady of Fatima because I felt St Joan of Arc academically is way better. I do wish they would serve lunch but other than that i have no complaints. I have recommended this school to a lot people and have not heard any complaints.

Posted July 21, 2013

The comments made about the school and principle being too strict don't make sense. My neighbor has a child going into PS 230 in September for six grade. She has to read an hour to an hour an a half a night and every night write in a reading journal book. My child is going into six grade at St. Joan's and has to read 20 to 30 minutes each night and has 4 book reports to do in July and August. I think the negative comments are from parents whose childrens are not well behaved and cause trouble and they are mad because the teacher and principle tells them. I am very happy with the school. Maybe you should go and visit to see for yours selfs.

Posted July 1, 2013

My child was in Pre-K 3 with a student whose parents would not work with the teacher, social workers, and principals. The two comments here about not to put your child in this school and how the teachers use time out too much are false. Teachers work with every child. Some children belong in special ed and this sounds like the complaints this same parent made to me when I came to pick up my child. My child was pushed by this child. The child hit the teachers, kicked them and threw a chair. When my child was almost hit, the teacher, assistant, and principal called my house to let me know what happened. The next day that same parent stopped saying hello and stopped complaining about the teachers and the school to me. A week later I heard that this child was told he could not come back. Parents don't want to hear about special ed but some of the children need a different school. St. Joan's is not a special ed school. Maybe this is why these two comments are here. I am not Catholic and have been welcomed and am very happy with the school. I feel the teachers and principals listen to my concerns. Im finally in a school where unruly kids are removed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 18, 2013

this is a horrible horrible i am honestly begging you to not to put your child if you love them in this school

Posted June 9, 2013

Time out is used when the teacher and assistant teacher feel the child needs to step back from a class activity. Each time a child is given a time out, the parent is notified by the teacher and given the reason in order for the child and the family to work on a specific behavioral objective. Assistant teachers earn $11,000 a year! They hold a minimum of an associate's degree and usually apply for that position in order to learn from a lead teacher who holds, at least, a bachelor's degree. Degrees of every teacher and assistant are posted on the school website. (www.sjaschoolny.com) How many schools post the degrees of their staff? It was decided by the teachers so that parents know the qualifications of the faculty. SJA School is a very structured and disciplined environment where children flourish. They appreciate the structure and arrive with huge smiles each day. Students graduate and attend challenging high schools in the public sector and private sector. Open houses are held every day of the school WITHOUT APPOINTMENT. Tours are given for any walk in. Since the school provides this, it gives a parent to see how every class is conducted. Come and visit!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 13, 2013

As a parent of present students in Pre-K 3 Mrs. M's Class and Pre-K 4 Mrs. Fitz's Class, I can only praise the teachers for their hard work and dedication to our children!

Posted April 28, 2013

The principal is not an educator, is a dictator!! The kids of Pre k can even have a break of his so restricted rules and the professors don't have another choice to follow his rules put them time out very often to these little kids, assistants teacher don't even have vocation of teaching, just the paycheck, don't even have studied to be around kids of 3-4years old, they complained about the behavior of your son of 3 years old all year!!!

Posted October 6, 2012

I am a student from St. Joan Of Arc and I have been attending since Pre-K. I am now in 6th grade and I would like to say this is the best school for your child. Some reviews complained about the 25 book reports. We have to do these according to the government not the school. Others were upset about not having recess. I believe grades Pre-k through 3rd have recess. Another review mentioned that we don't have enough exercise and that's why we are overweight. This school is not meant to be a personal gym. We have gym once a week and we go up and down stairs A LOT. I never felt stressed out because of too much work. This school prepares you for the real world. Yes, we are very disciplined. I recommend that if you are thinking of putting your child in this school, put them in BEFORE 4th grade so they can get used to the environment and the teachers' expectations. We have special classes almost everyday such as art, music, computers, gym, and library. We learn math, science, reading, language arts, social studies, religion. In the cafeteria, we are to sit down because just imagine about 250 students roaming around a room. I hope I have answered all the questions you had in mind. :)

Posted January 9, 2012

My husband and I met with the principal, Mr. Fruner, last week and we have to say that we were quite impressed with the school. The children in all of the grades, are very polite and disciplined. They seemed very interested in their school work. The children stand up to greet adults and use words such as "thank you," and "please," even the little ones. No disrespectful brats here! Mr Fruner patiently answered all of our questions (and we had many). This is the kind of discipline that one needs to be successful in life. We decided that our children will attend this school in the fall. -Mr. and Mrs. Farhat

Posted October 3, 2011

Although the school is very academically rigorous, it is a very punitive environment. Children are under enormous amounts of stress and in a state of fear. Ultimately, we felt this was not the kind of environment our child would thrive in. We wanted a more relaxed atmosphere that fostered a love of learning and an emphasis on individuality both of which seem to be lacking at SJA.

Posted May 31, 2011

I've had my son in this school for many years now, and while I appreciate the education provided by the teachers, I feel that there is room for improvemnets. To start, the staff can become more 'human' in the way they treat children. 2nd - under the new management, the demands on the kids are way too high and I'm afraid that it may end up being to the students' detriment. My son's always been motivated and responsible, yet he feels the tremendous pressure put on by the school. In 4th grade he is to read and complete 25 book reports, not including projects for science and the other subjects, and in the 5th grade they will be required to complete 30 book reports. I overhear my son and his peers talk about the fear instilled in them by the school. Students are mocked and ridiculed by teachers when they forget things or when they do not do well on an assignment. I wanted my son to complete his elementary studies in SJA, but I don't think that this will be possible as I would like his curious spirit to remain intact. At times I feel like I'm paying big $$ to have him broken down. We've discussed this, but I'm told that this is the way the system is. ~A sad parent.

Posted April 11, 2011

They don't have recess time. Even during lunch hour the kids are supposed to stay seated in designated spots. Too much discipline is imposed on the kids. They are not allowed even to take off the sweater. They have some great teachers. I have hopes it will get better if they get more humanitarian.

Posted March 26, 2011

St. Joan of Arc received a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award in 1996 and still is as of present has this status because they have the best teachers. My children graduated from this school with honors and kudos to these teachers who molded and inspired them to be passionate in their learning. This is with special mentions to Mr. Mazza, Mr. Wilhelm, Ms. Napolitano, Mrs. Collins, according to my children. My daughter who is a sophomore in Archbishop Molloy High School just recently won first in a medical research essay contest out of eighty bright students from different schools who attended a three month HPREP (Health Professional Recruitment and exposure Program). My son who goes to Bronx Science High School as a freshman student has been doing exceptionally well in Mathematics and other major subjects. My two children are products from St. Joan of Arc during their grade school and I want to say thank you to these excellent teachers!!!

Posted December 5, 2010

It is a fine school . I really don't like how some of the teachers can get very mean and tell us to shut up , It gets really hard . i don't like how the colors of the walls are such dark colors and all the rooms very dark . I do like the the Education they give you their and the principal . I also do not like how gym class is only once a week and half the time you don't run around and play . You don't even exercise . And their is a lot of over weight students because of that .

Posted November 7, 2009

SJA is a wonderful school with caring teachers. We feel lucky to send our son there where we know he will receive a solid education. SJA raises the bar high for the students and helps them learn. The new principal is great. He is a visionary who nurtures a love of reading. Also, the school is very structured and the students learn discipline. We look forward to many great years to come as our son grows.

Posted September 23, 2009

Great school, great teachers, and great students.

Posted September 21, 2009

St. Joan of Arc Elementary School is dedicated to our children. Our teachers are devoted to given the best to our children and making sure they understand what they are learning. Our school incorporates our parents and teachers to work together for the success the students.

Posted September 21, 2009

It is truly like one big family, but firm and very disciplined at the same time. A great place to be.

Posted September 21, 2009

It's one the school in my area that offer a excellent curriculum and It's not to expensive. St.Joan of Arc School has a Blue ribbon award which tells a lot of the school as well as the best-caring teachers i have met. Excellent school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Spanish
Ukranian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Blue Ribbon

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 7:00 p.m.
  • Mr. John Fruner
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)