Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My first child is about to finish LADSBS and I feel sad to say that I am relieved that it is over and NCRMS is on the horizon. I thought I was the only one that felt this way, yet the more parents I speak to, the more I see I am not alone. I have yet to hear someone speak to the contrary. That is terribly sad that parents are happy that three years of their child's life have passed just so they could get through an undesirable school experience. Most of the teachers I have been in contact with at the school were creative and dedicated. After three years, I can boldly say that it was the teachers in the building that made the school experience positive for my child. However, the leadership in the building welcomes a minimal amount of community involvement, (PTO events, class parents) to give the environment a more whole-child, friendly feel. When it is open for parent-student nights, it is well received by all. It should be encouraged more. There is a general feeling that parents are not welcomed as frequently as previous years, and as it is a 3-5 building, that's understandable, but there are many other ways to involve the parents and community. Be creative, ask for ideas. The academic quality is sufficient. The focus & practices seem to rely on reading comprehension to gain understanding rather than experiential learning. In addition, the curriculum and educational philosophy appear to follow precedent rather than best practice. Soliciting feedback from the community and teachers as to overall student experience is not currently a part of their short-term or long-term improvement plan. I felt compelled to write this review, and will urge others to do so in an effort to move the LADSBS culture toward a more positive, progressive, whole-child philosophy.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Absolutely. The Special Education Staff is outstanding and responsive.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

I put neutral because the leadership is effective with getting the students from grade to grade and feeding them curriculum, but for this area, and our budget and expertise, I expect exceptional, not effective. These are families for middle class to upper middle class backgrounds. We are not wresting with the basic survival needs that so many who are unfortunate do. I should get at least one positive response from other parents about the leadership at the school, and I have yet to have that. Instead I get sad faces and disappointment from parents, and their children.

Develops character: Disagree

I don't see anything other than wearing a certain color on certain days of the month to foster character building. I do know there is a teacher who runs a peace team, but I never hear of anything from my child.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers my child have had for the last two years have been exceptional with regard to creativity and flexibility.

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel my child's teacher is responsive and flexible with her homework assignments. Independent reading, math fluency or a few math problems and spelling. It does not exceed 50 minutes for 5th grade. I do know that some teachers assign test prep booklets and grammar worksheets. I do not believe this is an effective practice and there is no research I can find to support its effects on elementary level.

Excellent teachers. Caring environment. The students are learning the subjects while enjoying their time in class.

This school has a very positive environment. My daughter has flourished academically with the help of her teacher this year. I'm so happy we moved to Miller Place! It is one of the best decisions my family has made. Thank you Sound Beach School!

I am very disappointed with my daughter s school right now. I am not sure we are heading in the right direction. It should be all about the children and less about the teachers. Parent s need to get involved more shame on you.

The best school district. Moving here was the best decision I have ever made for my children.

Last modified Sound Beach School is a Public school that serves grades 3-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.