Bad
Good

Posted December 14, 2015
We moved here a little less then a year ago. Inspite of the ridiculous school taxes we are paying I felt that it would be worth every penny if my children were to recieve a good education. They did come out of an excellent school district so my expectations were quite high for Smithtown. I was told that this school district would be able to help my children since they both struggled academically. My son especially with his comprehension. Unfortunately I am very disappointed with my experience the few months my son attended Tacken and now that he is at Great Hollow. My son was being bullied at Great Hollow and I do not feel that the school nor his guidance councilor dealt with the situation appropriately. The guidance councilors unprofessional behavior towards me when I mentioned how I felt about his lack of compassion for my sons situation was quite disturbing. Maybe if I slapped him around and punched him in the face a few times he would of understood better and would not have gotten on the defense. I do not agree with the teachers teaching style. Their lack of review sheets and details do not help my child succeed and only lowers his confidence. Not all the teachers are bad but there are not enough teachers that are actually good in my opionion. They only want to deal with the "normal" children and feel inconvenienced when dealing with a struggling child. I was dismissed when I asked for a little extra help, an extra review sheet or more details to help me help my son study. These teachers think they are doing enough and they dont feel like they have to take those few extra steps. The school is very fast to blame the child for being to lazy or perhaps the child needs special education classes. Maybe they should take a closer look at the teachers or how the curriculum is being taught. I never had a problem with his last school so why am I having a problem now? Maybe it's because this school district does not know how to deal with children who struggle academically. Going to extra help during your lunch period is not going to be the deciding factor on whether or not a child will pass a test, especially if there are twenty other kids asking for help as well. Something that all parents need to know if they are deciding whether or not this school district is for them and their children. Its just not worth the high taxes.

Posted April 10, 2014
Great hollow is OK if your child had no special needs. My son graduated from there with no issues. However the sports teams is who you know decides if your kid get play time. My daughter has a learning disability and instead of getting the help she needed was simply labeled LAZY. The staff couldn't careless of the needs of individual students that need extra lessons or attention. HORRIBLE

Posted May 28, 2013
AWESOME SCHOOL if you are a natural student that needs little or no attention or guidance. HORRIBLE if you have a child that needs attention or has a learning disability. Did you know that the policy at this school is to PASS EVERYONE. No Joke, Everyone passes no matter what the grade is, and if they aren't passing the teachers will change the grade (it happened to my kid). The district doesn't have a summer school program, they just "move up" the kids until they get into High School. This is the only time the kids need to actually pass a class, but even in this situation, instead of TEACHING STUDENTS they come up with a grading system so your child passes (like they will treat homework like a test grade so they will pass). Again, there is NO SUMMER SCHOOL PROGRAM for those that are struggling or need additional support to grasp the concepts and move forward. IF YOUR CHILD ISN'T A NATURAL STUDENT Run for the Hills and get your child into a new school (district) and save them from all the frustration and aggravation.

Posted October 11, 2012
very disappointing first able principle lack of commitment and leadership assistant principle is the only one that take action. teachers has lack of methodology , no encouragement to do more if they can, academics not challenging enough too easy when it comes to homework teachers usually let students do homework in the study hall and students take that place as fun area teachers are there and do not care lack of commitment when it comes to productive time academically and basic discipline dressing code is very inappropriate, bathroom are disgusting, very poor cooling system teachers and students are dieing from heat they have to share the portable fun oh my gosh? how can this happen to this area.i can from another state there from the greeter area was what you call really technology, sparkle shine professional and efficient management in an overall way what a different? here you have to register with paper and pencil poor technology system in an area where taxes are expensive with that kind of education ridiculous i had to withdrawal my girl to look a better place where she can really learn and get encouragement, challenging academically less than mediocre is my rating

Posted October 24, 2011
The teachers are extremely unfair. They don't test in an objective way. Grading is not based on academic accomplishment so much as whether the child does homework and hands in pieces of paper unrelated to anything actually academic. My daughter is exceptional at Math - three years advanced - and is only getting a B+. Unfairness is key here and grading is ridiculous. And the students receive no encouragement to do more if they can. Less than mediocre is my rating.

Great Hollow Middle School 4

Posted July 17, 2011
The teachers and academics are outstanding. The students learn very well and the teachers are great. The school itself is average, not very cleanly in places such as the bathroom or gym mats. The way the school handles misbehavior and problems seem to be unfair from what I hear from others. Some kids get suspended for saying insults, while others walk away free for other worse things. Other than that my kids loved attending here and are now in high school.

Great Hollow Middle School 3

Posted May 31, 2011
Good teachers and academics, school bathrooms are disgusting, it gets very hot and students like like they are dieing from the heat. Bad justice system for children who get in trouble. Over all it's ok.

Great Hollow Middle School

Posted June 27, 2007
after school clubs are without a bus home no after care offered for working parents of middle school kids kids walking home who live with in a mile. No security at back gate.

Great Hollow Middle School 5

Posted January 12, 2006
The academic programs at Great Hollow are outstanding! When we first moved here that was the most notable improvement, my kids scored much better on the NYS Assessment tests. Parental involvement is welcomed and encouraged here. The chorus and orchestra performances are always exceptional.

Great Hollow Middle School
150 Southern Boulevard, Nesconset, NY  11767
Last modified Great Hollow Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.