No rating

Xavier High School

Private | 9-12

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $925,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Posted May 24, 2005

This is the best school ever. it give a great education and is was the best 4 years ever.

Posted May 9, 2005

Xavier High School is an elite academic institution. This school clearly sets the standard for high academic performance with a brand of 'old school' discipline. Boys do not become graduates here, they become leaders.

Posted April 15, 2005

Xavier High School is a wonderful academic institution with undeniable results of discipline, class, and tradition. It is arguably one of the top two Catholic high schools in the tri-state area.

Posted March 16, 2005

The academic program is by far superior to other neighboring schools, however, the administration does not want to deal with children who do something wrong. Their answer to everything is to expel them and leave them in the middle of the year to scramble to find somewhere to go. They are cold-hearted and I would seriously reconsider anyone going here.

Posted February 22, 2005

Xavier is a very prestigious and rigorous institution. You will not find one Catholic high school in the NYC metropolitan area that sends 99% of students to four year collegs and yet has over 15 sports and 52 organizations, a student to teacher ratio of under 15:1, and a tuition that is still under $8,000. On top of that, Xavier managed to be one of the very few schools that never broke from their original roots of being an all-boy, Jesuit, and military school. With Blue Ribbons honors under their belt and an ROTC program that is recognized under 'honors with distinction', the highest in the country, it has never been a secret how Xavier has been one of the three best Catholic high schools for boys in the NYC metropolitan area for close to 160 years.

Posted January 25, 2005

Excellent college preparatory school, run in the great Jesuit tradition. In fact, I learned more here than I did in college. Not only did my Xavier education enrich me intellectually, it also taught me to be ethical, tolerant and involved citizen of the world.

Posted January 17, 2005

Excellent school! United States Department of Education Blue Ribbon School for academic excellence and 2003 Blackboard Award for Best Catholic High School in New York City. Many of the school's distinguished faculty have either been graduates of the school itself or educating young men there for over twenty years. The school has a 99% graduation rate going on to four year colleges and universities. The class of 2004 were awarded 16 million dollars in college scholarships. Some of their distinguished graduates include US Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia '53, US Ambassador to the Philippines, Alberto Del Rosario '57, NBC television personality and author, Al Roker '72, author, George Brennan '89, and FOX News New York Investigative Reporter, Mike Sheehan ' 66.

Posted September 14, 2004

Xavier is a very special commununity with a hundred & fifty year tradition. In keeping with it's mission of educating the middle class & lower middle class, Xavier has kept the tuition costs well below the average in a city with escalating private education costs. The school begins every year at a deficit & the shortfall is supplemented by strong alumni support & some funding from the Jesuit community. Xavier men have a strong sense of who they are when they graduate & find themselves well prepared academically when entering college. The Xavier community showed how tight-knit and yet how far-reaching it is during the unfortunate 9/11 attacks. Xavier lost several 'sons' & relatives and many found solace on 16th street.

Posted June 4, 2004

Xavier is a great place and I am bothered by the review at the bottom. Fr. Ciancimino has done an excellent job, and his departure will signify the end of an era, but also, the start of another. We are truly going to miss Fr. Ciancimino. Teachers truly care about you at Xavier. Where also would teachers show up at 7 in the morning to help a student prepare for Latin? What about teachers who stay until all hours of the night to work on yearbook. The tradition at Xavier is outstanding, and I have been proud to be part of the Xavier community for the past 3 years. Sons of Xavier, Keep Marching, on to victory! We'll fight for you!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 22, 2004

I have to respond to the former students letter. I graduated in 1983. I suffered the loss of my belove father as a sophmore. I struggled with my studies. I could have found myself ejected but instead I did find support. I had to work hard and it made me a better man. Years after I graduated I had problems and went back to Xavier for a support and found it in the same fine people that had made my education so extraordinary. Did I ever have a bad teacher? Yes. Were most of my teachers outstanding and concerned with me as a person and my academics? Definately yes. I teach in a public High School now and if I had a son I would have no hesitation sending them to Xavier. Xavier turns young men into distinguished, well grounded men. It is a proud tradition.

Posted September 9, 2003

I attended Xavier from 1987 to 1991. It was there that my foundation for life was formed. Despite the fact that I'm 'different' and often don't follow any particular order... Nonetheless Xavier taught me discipline, morals, values, and leadership. It prepared me for university studies, and a great career in the arts. Being an all boys school wasn't difficult. Great friendships were formed, and there was plenty of time for girls later on in life. The military program wasn't for me, but I knew plenty of guys who were happy with the program. The staff was caring, and wonderfully supportive. I still keep in touch with some of them 12 years later. A hard school to stay in though if you're not disciplined enough to make the grades and follow the rules. Out of a class of over 300, only 160 of us actually made it all four years and graduated. But well worth it. Made college studies easy.

Posted August 26, 2003

The second best academic Jesuit and Catholic high school for boys in Manhattan after Regis. Challenging curriculum with a military makeup. 99% go on to four year colleges. It is a United States Department of Education Blue Ribbon School and famous graduates include US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia '53 and television personality Al Roker '72. If you want a school where boys are made men and discipline shares the same plateau as education, this is the school for your son. The school is embodies success.

Posted August 19, 2003

This school takes pride in telling future students that when you come to Xavier H. S you will enter into the Xavier Community. A tight nit caring environment that watches out for protects and helps their own. Well, let me ask you this would a real community throw out dozens of students every year for poor academic work. Or would they offer help to the students that needed it in order to protect them from the embarrassment and depression that follow not long after being ejected from a school they called home for 3 long years. A school that they grew to love that told them from year to year how they were in a community like no other. That other schools weren't as good as this one, teachers would talk mockingly about students from the surrounding high schools. The same schools the student that was thrown out would have to go to and beg to attend for their final year. Unless you are Irish and Catholic you are not in the community. That should be Xavier High Schools Slogan. All others need not apply. A Headmaster named Father Ciamcamito, that would do nothing to help a student in need. He will only take his pen out of his draw and sign away the students life. Sign away the students future, all in the name of protecting themselves from someone that will ruin their college statistics. I was once a student of Xavier High School I was thrown out in my Junior Year. I later went on to attend a college with many of my old friends from Xavier. So let me ask you why is it that I would have been kicked out of a school for academic reasons and later be in college with many of the same people I was in class with at Xavier. Does that make any sense? They were obviously telling me I wasn't smart enough to finish my last year there but yet I was just as smart as the countless Xavier students that went to my college. Why weren't they kicked out? And if they are so much better than I am why did they go to the same college? Just in case your wondering it is a very good college. Oh and this student that isn't worthy of a Xavier education received an 1150 on his SATs. Ask Father Ciamcamito what really decides what makes a kid stay or go. Ask the Headmaster of this community 'the Xavier community' How many students are thrown out every year for academic reason. I don't think any one should be ejected from a school for academic reasons. They should help the student get through whatever problems he may be having. Don't give up on his and say go elsewhere we can't help you. If you want you child to go to a school that will help him when he is having academic problems or is having trouble grasping something, stay away from this high school. They will only toss the child out onto 16th street along with countless others. Disciplinary problems are completely different if a student is unruly, won't behave himself, and or is being disruptive in class, severe action should be considered. One of the punishments Xavier H. S puts it's students through is JUG. This involves making the student join approximately 10 - 25 others in walking in a circle in the courtyard for 45 minutes to an hour. I recommend they make the student read or do some school work that will expand their minds for 45 minutes to an hour, instead of wasting their time. JUG is given to anyone that is late whether it is 30 seconds or 5 hours. One JUG is given for every tardiness. This has been just one former students oppinion. Please carefully consider all your options before choosing Xavier High School for your child. And please do ask the headmaster why anyone is thrown out of Xavier for academic reasons. Ask him if it is because they give up on the child and or because they don't have good enough teachers to get through to the child.

Asian 6% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Michael Livigni
  • All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • JSEA
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York