No rating

Our Lady of Lourdes School

Private | PK-8 | 322 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $198,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted April 3, 2014

I highly recommend this school for Pre-K. The teachers are unbelievable and the nurturing of the children is great. However, once you get to Kindergarten it drastically goes downhill. My child was so scared of her teacher that she would tremble and cry when even asking for a pencil. I pulled her out at the beginning of the year and moved her to a nearby public school. It was the best decision I ever made. Parents are discouraged from being involved at all and I have actually heard them degrade students in front of the whole class. I do not recommend this school for K-8 but highly recommend for your Pre-K children. It is really too bad, because this could be such a great school.

Posted January 30, 2014

This school is a welcome gem in an area with very little to offer in terms of quality education. It feels like a community and our 3 year old feels really welcome. The building is pristine and filled with the children's work. Classrooms are sunny and big with smartboards for every classroom. Teachers and aides are loving and attentive. What would make it truly excellent would be more parent involvement, more activities such as chess, dance, Spanish, swimming... These could be easily developed by parents and using outside community resources but there's not a PTA to work on fundraising. The afterschool program needs development so the children are learning more proactively during that time. Nevertheless we feel happy and safe at the school and thank our lucky stars to have found this in Harlem.

Posted January 25, 2014

I am a parent of a student currently in her second year at the school in pre-K4. So far I am very happy with the school on many levels. I like the small and intimate feel of the school. The school staff know the students by name and the parents as well. The teachers that she has had thus far actually care about her progress. They inform me of her accomplishments and offer solutions for improvement. My child was reading full sentences by age 2 and I was concerned that she would not be stimulated in the classroom. However, the teachers have worked to keep her engaged in her strong areas while also teaching her new skills and material. She is also learning Italian due to their language program. She seems to be happy in school and has made a lot of friends. When I had financial problems last year the staff helped me obtain a scholarship. I am also very impressed with the music and art programs as well. The school's musical presentations are very impressive. I hope that my positive experience as a parent will continue from Kindergarten and beyond.

Posted April 11, 2013

I felt very blessed to have found this school for my child. I hoped that the school would give her the balance between education and faith that think is missing from so many these days. However, I am not so sure how well the school embodies, much less teaches, these faith-based aspects. In addition, this school passively discourages parental involvement more than just so much. The school for the most part is good and I love the staff. The administration is about the business of running a school so keep that in mind when things done and said don't quite make sense.

Posted January 29, 2013

I grew up in this community an truth be told the options for a good elementary school are scarce. We transferred our son to this school from a public school and found that OLL still has strong academic standards as it did when I attended the school as a child. The administration is strong and focused on setting high standards for its staff as well as working hard to ensure the financial stability of the school. I find that even though both of my children stand out academically, there are other aspects of a school that should be taken into consideration when applying. Teaching staff appears to have a very antiquated discipline philosophy which includes scolding (and embarrassing)children in front of their peers. There is no direct connection with parents, nor PTA, school has more of a closed door policy in which you drop off your child at the front door and pick up at the front door giving very little opportunity to establish a home-school connection. For Hamilton Heights, clearly, OLL is one of the better options, my suggestion as a parent is to visit other catholic schools in Manhattan and compare. Make the decision based on what fits your child.

Posted September 28, 2012

This school has been a blessing, and we are fortunate to have it in our neighborhood. I can not stop praising OLL for their dedication to the education and success of every child that attends. My daughter has blossomed immensely since being at OLL, and we see our money's worth everyday. The teachers are what make this school standout as they are dedicated to their students, and are amazing educators. The principal is great and is truly engaged with her staff and ensuring all is up to par. I highly recommend!!!

Posted May 30, 2012

The worst school in New York State. If you love your children, send them to a public school , the public school are better and safer; at least they have police waching your kids while you are at work.Do not waste your money in this school .save in the bank you will remember my advice.

Posted February 4, 2012

OLL is a great I could not be more greatful to this school that educated me my daughter and now my son who is in 8th grade. He has been accepted to the top schools in NYC such as Loyola School, Xavier High School and 3 others. The standard and principles are high the children become scholars without knowing. The teachers are great and dedicated. The principal is great and the vice principal as well. It was a wonderful choice when my parents sent me and I know I made the right choice for my children as well.

Posted October 7, 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes is an excellent school! The facilities are well-kept, the teachers and staff are very friendly and students are well exposed to programs across the arts in addition to their regular curriculum.

Posted March 4, 2011

We looked at many Manhattan preschools before we found OLL. As soon as our unscheduled tour began we knew we were in the right place. The tour got better as it continued, ending up in the pre-K class where the teachers were wonderful and the class engaged and happy! All the promises we were made have come true. This is a great school with great programs, a great administration, good values, breakfast, lunch and terrific aftercare! And it's reasonably priced, esp. compared to those other schools. We were also accpted to another highly regarded public school but we have never regretted our decision to send our child to Our Lady of Lourdes.

Posted March 3, 2011

We too are new to Our Lady Of Lourdes school and can't say enough good things about our experience! Our daughter LOVES going to school each day. Our family has found acceptance, warmth and a great educational environment. The principal and staff are incredible. The curriculum matches some of the best around. The kids are provided structure without loosing their spirit. Tell everyone you know to check this school out!

Posted March 1, 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes School is one of a kind--a truly fine academic institution in the center of a historic and iconic New York City neighborhood. Principal Hufnagel has led tremendous movements towards academic excellence since taking the role of Principal in 2005. My husband and I are more than happy and willing to make the tremendous sacrifices we do to send our kids here.

Posted March 1, 2011

OLL has revitalized my family! We recently moved to area after a trying few years on the West Coast and were searching for a welcoming, nurturing school to serve as a place of stability and tranquility for my kids. OLL is definitely that! My children love school now; a new confidence and appreciation for life has overcome them since entering OLL.

Posted March 1, 2011

OLL is fantastic! After searching and searching for the right school for my children, our prayers were finally answered! From the donor involvement anf fantastic extracurricular activities to the rigorous academics and amazing art/music/language programs, OLL has everything a child needs to excel! It is worth the investment without a doubt. Plus, the administration is so helpful and ALWAYS willing to talk the community.

Posted April 27, 2010

The teachers in this school are so dedicated. With limited resources they have establish to build a Science Lab, Smart boards and teach the Arts as well. The academic performance for some of these children is outstanding. The Principal has manage to raise funds and fix the school little by little.

Posted April 13, 2010

This school is a little gem. My two daughters have attended OLL school for the past 10 years and it has never been better. My daughter's test scores have steadily increased due to a lot of individualized attention from teachers. The school is well run, safe and has high NYS test scores. My eldest daughter is in 8th grade, which had 100% pass the NYS science test last year.

Posted August 15, 2009

The worst school in the heights the administration was excellent but now that a new principle the administration changed to worst i think a public school is better

Posted February 27, 2009

I currently attend Our Lady of Lourdes. The teachers are warm and loving and create a wonderful learning enviorment. I love the small close knit community. I gradute this year and will miss having all the love and care that is shown on a day-to-day basis.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 22, 2009

Our Lady of Lourdes is one of the best schools in Hamilton Heights. My children attend the school. My daughter is currently in the 8th grade has passed sucessfully the TACHS exam. She has been accepted to 2 of her choices. Her fellow classmates have also done extremely well. The students the vase majority have been accepted to all 3 choices. My son is currently in the 5th grade and is exceptionally doing well as well as a parent I would strongly recommend this hidden treasure in the Heights.

Posted September 23, 2008

As a new parent to the Our Lady of Lourdes community I know I have found the right school for my daughter. From the first day my child arrived we were met by a friendly staff and faculty. Everyone knew the chindren's names and the main hall was filled with happy smiles. I was confident my daughter would be safe and flourish in this environment. After meeting with the Principal and my child's teacher I felt assured that this would be a wonderful experience for her. The curriculum is challenging and there is a vast variety of exra curricular activites. My child is anxious to join the school Choir and loves art class. She is happy, safe and learning; what more can a parent ask for.

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:45
School end time
  • 2:45
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Cathy Hufnagel
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York