Girls Preparatory Charter School of New York

Charter | K-8 | 550 students

Our school is best known for offering a free public single-sex education option.

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $525,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted February 23, 2012

I am a former parent as well, as the previous parent stated - the CEO is not to fully blame but he does have a lot to do with the negativity that is now plaguing the school. My daughter was assessed in reading (6th grader) and was told she was on a 3rd grade reading level. When I asked how did she even make it out of elementary school with that level, all I heard were crickets and therefore I did not buy that story. At the new school my daughter is on a 7th grade reading level - what is wrong with this picture? The answer is statistics - GP has sold a lie that all the girls are below reading level and when they are reassessed - they have miraculously jumped 3, 4, and 5 levels - all in the name of trying to fool the parents into thinking their daughters are receiving a stellar education. GP needs to look good in order to bring students in. I know for a fact that a good 90% of the students will be continuing their education elsewhere come Sept. 2012. 2 more students have left as I write this - do not waste your time with this school.

Posted February 20, 2012

I am a former parent, my daughter attended girls prep close to 6 years. The CEO is not to fully blame. The principal stated most of the Girls in middle school are reading below grade level, well most of them came from the elementary school. The reading specialist said my daughter was reading on a third grade level. The assessed her using Fountas and Phinnell, honestly neither one of them knew what they were talking about. In her new school my daughter is assessed by a computer can you believe my daughter does read on a 6th grade level and her comprehension is on a 9th grade level. Im not sure what to say about this. I feel like the school assessed the students on a lower level to make the scores look better for the administration at the end. I agree I think you should visit the school. Please keep in mind there is a big difference between elite school, working class school and the top 2% schools. Do you really want your child to go to a school where they drill information into them and do not produce leaders. Research the difference between the working class schools and private schools. Girls Prep is not the best option. If you can afford to leave then do so.

Posted February 11, 2012

It is such a shame some parents harbor such intense animosity and are not directing their energy for a more positive investment. If parents have left then maybe it wasn t a fit for their daughters or family however this is not the case of the majority. The school(s) would have huge vacancies; don t you think? Many children and families are desperate and pleading to enter this school. My daughter has been attending here for years and I m not sure if the parents are actually elementary or middle school parents; either way it is a handful not the majority of parents. The school did have their hiccups but what organization doesn t? It is up to the parents to partner with the school to obtain the results we ALL dream for our children. We are ALL responsible to the success or failure of a school; we are ALL accountable-- Eli Manning didn t win the Super Bowl 2012; but the NY Giants. Understand? If you are curious about this school, I say make an appointment and visit the school; and you be the judge. Don't let a few parents mislead a great choice. You would be pleasantly surprised & it's free! Visit several schools but eventually you would want your daughter here! Great School!

Posted January 31, 2012

Because of this horrible school I am leaving the city in June. The education my daughter & niece receive is very lame and the way the girls are treated - without respect - is something I will not tolerate. I just received a letter that says money is missing. This is not the way to run a school that is so called reformed education. The CEO has bought nothing but negativity to this school, it is time to change. Goodbye!

Posted January 22, 2012

I am embarrassed to say that I thought and spoke so highly of this school before. This school is not worthy of any praise. The only good thing that is left is the parents and the students. The elite who donate to this school need to be made aware of how their money is spent to pay teachers who are coached by the administration to not let kids speak, sign language is used because the kids have no voice - the parent's voice has been eliminated, now its the kids turn. How can this exist in this day and age. Parents do not even entertain the thought of sending your child to this school - you will be wasting your time, but more importantly, you will be doing your child and injustice.

Posted January 21, 2012

Parents look elsewhere - GP has failed miserably and who are they kidding that it is the girls that are out of control and aren't up to grade level (words of the current principal). If this is true then the school gets an F for running themselves into the ground with the poor academics and they do not deserve to be around when their charter is up for review. I have spoken to parents who are no longer here and it is alarming to hear the what 6th grade science students in this school are learning is being taught to 3rd graders elsewhere - that is a hug gap and the administration is to blame. The kids here are being programmed to take tests and not be critical thinkers with a voice. I do not recommend this for any parent who really has their child's best interest at heart. The whole district knows what is going on, sadly the school fooled the parents into signing a handbook without explaining all the drastic changes such as a boot camp method for discipline. The parents didn't read it word for word as there was trust or so we thought it was the same as it had been for all the previous years. When complaints are made they are swept under the rug. I give this school an F.

Posted January 19, 2012

Fail, Fail, Fail. This school was good until last year it all went downhill and continues to do so at an alarming rate. Parents at this time cannot move the girls because of limited spaces in other schools so they must tough it out. Next year there will be many, many vacant spaces so I hope the parents that are being reeled in read these reviews and know what they are up against. Fail, Fail, Fail.

Posted January 18, 2012

This is exactly what's wrong at this school, because we are Title 1 parents they believe we should be grateful for the crumbs they throw at our girls and accept the verbal, physical and emotional abuse that the girls have to put up with every day. Just the other day a teacher used a racial word when talking to a student. The board doesn't care and the administration is a train wreck and at this point in the school year we have no where else to go so we say we are grateful for the crumbs hoping and praying that they treat our daughters well. If this is respect then you have every right to be grateful. Submitted by a parent

Posted January 18, 2012

The point of no return is where GP is now. This school is trying to model itself after other schools and they get a big F in my book. The emotional abuse adds insult to injury (the weak curriculum). The kids are so far behind in everything in comparison to the DOE schools. The staff has so many turn arounds and the parents aren't notified. The only thing good about this school is that the students are safe from outside danger. The hot lunches that were promised for the Middle School for the last two years are still to be delivered and then the parents are forced to pay $4 a day for a "barely luke warm" lunch. Don't waste your time and your scholar's precious time.

Posted January 16, 2012

I am grateful to the teachers and administration who have treated my daughters and our family with respect. I spend a lot of time at Girls Prep and I see how dedicated the staff is and make the students a priority. Thank you, GP, for a job well done.

Posted December 16, 2011

Wow! I d laugh if it wasn t so sad. In June, 2010 Business Week write such a positive article about our girls learning computer programming. Our daughters jumped and screamed because they were excited about learning and school, and these classes were not even during the week, they were on Saturday. Ian Rowe was hired in August, 2010 two months after this article and things have just gone downhill since then. In February, six months later he fired a good principal. The school has been in confusion since then. I don t even know anymore what this school is about, but it is not about giving my child a good education. I guess the news articles on the website says it all, it is about the big shots looking important. Today, my daughter did not want to go to school. Some parents have already pulled their daughters out, I hear that more are leaving in January, I m trying to encourage my daughter, trying to make her strong if she make it to June, she will not be back in September. I give up.

Posted December 7, 2011

I'm not surprised to read any of these comments. After meeting many of the people in leadership positions, for me, it was like seeing a train wreck before it happened. You have a bunch of people running a school aka "the network" who know nothing about schools, but are so high and mighty (read: smug bastards) with their fancy education and know-it-all attitudes. You have a CEO who is more concerned about being flashy and in the news for something he considers great, than he is about the actual well-being and instructional needs of the students. I wish all dissatisfied parents would remove their children from this situation. It's called school choice for a reason and without you, they will have no school.

Posted November 12, 2011

What a disappointment! I regret wasting many years at this school. I believed this Middle School would prepare my daughter (academically) to enter the most challenging high schools but no they are only implementing harsh discipline. This school will not achieve even meager success unless that children believe that they themselves are cared for and learn to care for others. Girls Prep is failing the students in this regard. There is a clear and logical relationship between student discipline and academic achievement. Research shows that students who are disproportionately targeted for disciplinary action are the same students who reflect poor academic achievement. This is why this school is failing but since they don't know it as a parent it is my duty to inform anyone considering this school. Academically, there is no challenge here.

Posted November 8, 2011

Nothing good left at this Middle School. All the previous comments sum it up. The only good things left are the students who are suffering and the dedicated parents. The administration continues to ignore parents in order to silence them and accept without any questions or concerns that are very vital to the community of the school, students, parents and the curriculum. The principal has the whole staff shaking in their boots - the staff is forced to treat the kids so unfairly. Please find another school if you feel nurturing is part of what you always want to give your kids.

Posted November 8, 2011

The spirits of the students have been crushed and all the fights to ensure space for this school was a total waste. This school is trying to discipline these girls with unacceptable methods for instance a girl wants to use the bathroom and she is not allowed to. Girls have to sit in SLANT (sit up straight, listening, ask & answer questions, nod and track the speaker) and if they don't do all of these they get penalized and with demerits. Girls get detention for being 1 minute late and they sit by number order since the beginning as if they were in a penitentiary. Girls cannot sneeze, cough, burp, hiccup. There are hand gestures for everything - the girls cannot interact with each other - this is not healthy. The kids are not nurtured with care, compassion and respect. This school is good if your kid is a robot only programmed to take state tests. I would not recommend this school to anyone. Parents are fed up that the administration has failed to look out for the kids before their pockets - more funding over curriculum and community at this school. Parent involvement has gone from 99% to 1%.

Posted November 8, 2011

Good for nothing school who fires a principal in the middle of the year (2010) and leaves the school without any leadership. In 2011 they come back with a principal who has no clue what to do and intimidates the staff into mistreating the girls. Who wants to deal with this - not this parent - I'm done! Only the girls lose in this case. 5 girls have left the school before November. The school is good at covering things up - real good and convincing but not anymore - parents are on them.

Posted November 2, 2011

Before you enroll your child at Girls Prep please do your research......The school is no longer what it use to be. The board is more concern about funding than the students .......the list of issues is very long. All the great teachers are gone! The exceptional School Culture gone!! The Girls Prep parents thought so hard to establish is GONE!!

Posted October 14, 2009

GIRLS PREP IS #1 IN MY BOOK! I'm a proud parent of a 4th grader who's been with Girls Prep since Kindergarten, and I've never come across a better grade school than Girls Prep! She loves her teachers, the staff and all of her Girls Prep sisters. Their day is rigorous, but the girls are troopers, and they make Girls Prep their own. For my daughter's young age, I've watched her grow and strive beyond my expectations, and I've been told how maturely and intelligently she presents herself by others as well. I owe it to Girls Prep for giving my baby girl the stepping stones she'll need to prepare in the years ahead. I'm behind Girls Prep 100%, all the way, till the end!

Posted October 14, 2009

I love the fact that parents are encouraged to do what ever is possible for the continued growth in their children whether its through volunteering or at home work. Its great motivation to see how everyone works as a team!!!

Posted September 24, 2009

Hello my name is Marjorie Gabriel, and my daughter Adenike has been in Girls Prep for four years now. I love the fact that is and diverse of all types of girls. And they known each other of years. The excellent academic curriculum, added with what she gets at home seals the deal. Girls prep is #1

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

All Students26%

General population35%
Proficient in English30%
Non-migrant30%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students32%

Master's degree and above 14%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 631 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.2

8.7

8.3

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.1

8.9

7.9

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.6

8.6

6.7

7.5

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.4

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • MS. VERSHA MUNSHI-SOUTH
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All girls
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (212) 338-1086

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep

• Special education
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Math club

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom