/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted August 07, 2014
Teacher, administrators, and the entire staff are amazing. My child transferred here from another public school. This school goes above and beyond to ensure each child is receiving a positive experience. My child has totally improved in reading, writing, and mathematics because of their strong teachers and curriculum. When the time comes, I am praying my child will attend the middle school as I know some parents who send their children there and are extremely happy. I am beyond thrilled with our experience at PS/IS 276.

Posted July 09, 2014
BEST SCHOOL EVER!!! My oldest son studied since the first year that the school was opened at IS 276 .I'm moving to Battery Park in order that my two other kids will study there next year. What a wonderful experience!!

Battery Park City School 2

Posted June 16, 2014
Principal , Assistant Principal, and parent coordinator are not responsive to children's needs, or parents requests to meet regarding their children. The top leadership are board of education pencil pushers, and are protected by a union that makes it very difficult for parents and children to receive any type of services. Children come second, paper work comes first. The nurse is a panicked all the time, and goes way overboard and calls unnecessarily. They are extremely culturally insensitive. My children have been called terrible racist names by the other children, and they are even afraid to speak out anymore to their teachers or administration because it happens so often and Nothing has been done about it I waited until the end of the year to post this review because I was afraid that my children would not receive good recommendations when they apply to other schools. They send in multiple forms, then lose them, then blame parents. Favoritism is rampant. Administration, parents and teachers should work as a team, and communicate better, there is no team work at this school. They really don't put the children first, it's all about the paperwork. I regret sending my kids.

Posted April 30, 2014
Outstanding school that continues to get better year-to-year. Great students, great teachers, great leadership, and a great community.

Posted September 11, 2013
We have 2 children attending Battery Park City School and we feel fortunate that they are being educated at this wonderful public school. We have had consistently smart, articulate, engaged teachers who approach their jobs with thoughtfulness, passion and creativity.The PTA is organized and effective with does it's utmost to engage the parents in school activities.. I'm very surprised to read the comments directed towards Terri on here. She is very direct and straightforward (and busy) but as a parent I appreciate that. We have had some minor issues with one of our children and she has been supportive and helpful to work through solutions. She knows and greets every child by name in the morning and the children really love and respect her. The comment about her screaming is just bizarre. All the school staff are warm and welcoming. The only negative to me are some of the parents. There are wonderful parents here but there are also many complainers. Stop complaining and get involved, they are very welcoming of parental involvement at this school. Come to the PTA meetings, join a committee, there are so many opportunities. It's a great neighborhood school..

Battery Park City School 1

Posted August 07, 2013
Parents of a middle schooler. Great building but everything else is terrible. No reading required from any class..no exaggeration. Students read whatever they want. Math teacher..mean-spirited. Homework..a lot of silly busy work. All sorts of issues with grading; final grades very random and predictive of nothing. If your kid gets an A here don't assume he/she is learning a thing. Don't take my word and take the time to see how students here are performing on city-wide exams. Principal has no rapport with students. Likes to scream. If a student forgets their ID, he/she will be precluded from the elevators and required to climb stairs to class (6 stories). Everything written about Terri here is absolutely true. Take away: If your child is a strong student don't even think about this place.

Battery Park City School 4

Posted May 16, 2013
It's a great school with a great student and teacher population. The parents are active and friendly. Terri is a very effective Principal. She gets things done and those things are what's important for the students. The PTA is very active and involved in what's going on in the curriculum. Overall, it's been a great experience for me as a parent and my children are very happy here.

Battery Park City School 4

Posted February 08, 2013
It is a great school, my child has been there since the beginning as a Middle School Student. Lots of homework, very advanced subjects for the student age. The teachers are very committed. Yet I find the principal is completely insufferable. Parents are a nuisance to her. Always her way, no discussion with a parent will get anywhere, regardless of the issue or the logic. She and the Assistant principal, a sycophant, seem to have to re-invent the wheel every year. Make sure your child raises his hand for questions so that are penalized 5 points off of the grade they actually earned. The only other issue which concerns me is the unreal world of penalizing the brightest for the sake of making the not so bright ones feel good and fair. Try that in the private sector.

Posted October 16, 2012
Battery Park City School is by far one of the elite schools in Manhattan, either private or public. I transferred my child out of an underperforming "top tier" Manhattan private school to enroll here. I was under the misperception that you could only get a great education in private school and after spending nearly $250K and seeing my child test under the level of peers in public school, I had to make a change and broaden my perspective. Dont believe the myth that private is necessarily better like I did for over 6 years, they just keep a tight control over negative press. After an exhaustive search, Battery Park City School was our top choice and we were one of the lucky families to gain admission. Terri Ruyter is a tough but fair Principal that demands nothing but excellence from her students, teachers and administrators and we respect her very much. Every teacher my child has had over the years is amazing very responsive to providing feedback when requested, or quick to alert you when there are issues that need to be addressed. As an Ivy League Grad, I know now my child is well on her way to a stellar educational career, thanks to Battery Park City School.

Posted October 07, 2012
Truly brilliant.. Our son has been here since it opened - starting in Kindgarden. He's now in 2nd grade. He had an amazinging enjoyable start, in K which has not (yet?) waned. I read the other comments posted.. I am sympathetic to the not so positive comments, as the philosophy and leadership of the school wont suit everyone, but for us (my son, wfie and I), we totally love it. I have faith in the teachers and love the principals approach - yes, her style is almost zero tolerance for teacher, student or even parental nonsense - which is very important in a new school. We know many parents, and are good friends with most, and they seem to love it too. The kids are enjoying life as kids, and I believe are in a friendly nurturing environment where they are growing well.. A true neighborhood school, in Manhattan! DW

Battery Park City School
55 Battery Pl, New York, NY  10011
Last modified Battery Park City School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Battery Park City School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top