/ School Profile
New York, NY

Quest To Learn 2

Posted December 09, 2013
While I admire this schools mission, in practice, it just doesn't work to serve my child. Especially if you have a child with an IEP or one needing any kind of additional support, do not attend this school. The naming of the classes are confusing and difficult to follow and track as a parent. The focus on technology obfuscates the issues with parent/teacher communication. The online tools for tracking assignments and grades, Canvas, is not real time so while it promises insight into performance, the delay renders it meaningless. The facility is crowded with other schools and feels with the exception of the 7th floor like a penitentiary. I do think the teachers are good and mostly enthusiastic but I question the administrative leadership and frankly I regret choosing this school for my child. It's a good idea poorly executed with limited funding (and yes, just another testament to why we need to put more money as a society into our public education).

Posted May 18, 2013
I felt compelled to write after reading a few comments about Quest. My child goes to Quest & he has an IEP, they have been very responsive to needs. We are in constant contact with the teachers, they respond to emails & help to solve challenges my kid is having. Sixth grade was better than any other year my child had (this child came from one of the top schools) My child has decided to stay at Quest through HS. Every kid has a different experience, in different situations. Sad when a parent writes that a whole school has horrible quality, sounds like an angry or disappointed parent. The good thing, they found a school that is a good fit, which is ultimately how we achieve, grow & become successful. Congrats. It's great for a child & parent to find that right school. However, getting high grades at one school & not another doesn't say much about either school. Maybe one school is too rigorous & the other school is more in line with that child's level of learning? (or learning styles) If a parent wants to express their opinions on a website, especially the negative, they should state specifics & not a general comments, which doesn't help anyone.

Quest To Learn 1

Posted May 14, 2013
I took my son out and now he gets 90s and 100s and is actually learning.the quality of the school is horrible they need new leadership the only good thing is that the children for the most part are safe. If your child struggles with anything they isn't much help and they do not follow iep at all.

Quest To Learn 2

Posted October 28, 2012
After one year, we pulled our child from this school. It was a hard fight to get the DOE to grant the transfer to another school but it was worth it. Quest to Learn is new and has yet to find its footing. While involved at the school, we were impressed with the teachers. Lots of parent were very happy with the curriculum but I felt it was again too "new" and not completely thought out. There was too much disorganization. IEP Services were not in place. After-school was unreliable. Even Parent-Teacher nights were chaotic. No one takes responsibility. We felt we were gambling with our child's education.

Quest To Learn 1

Posted November 28, 2011
Lack of leaderhip and responsiveness to school issues. Poor communication between parents and administration. School does not encourage parent involvment. However, teachers seem to care about their students and seem dedicated to make every effort to help them succeed.

Posted November 26, 2011
I am the parent of a 6th grader who is very happy at Q2L Quest To Learn (Q2L) is an innovative New York City public middle/high school where students learn to view the world though its underlying, interdependent systems physical, biological, environmental, political, technological, social, economic, etc. Q2L students learn that the knowledge systems of math, science, language, geography, history, etc. can empower them to decode the patterns, structure, and dynamics of our world s complex systems so they can be analyzed, understood, influenced, and even designed. At Q2L, learning is rigorous, participatory, and Regent standards-based. Students are given missions organized around big ideas and complex, multidisciplinary problems, which in order to solve, students must collaborate, think holistically, gather relevant information, calculate, theorize, hypothesize, and experiment, read and analyze texts, design models, simulations, codes, games and tools, and continuously provide feedback for review and revision of their work, etc. Students take on the identities of mathematicians, scientists, writers, historians, and designers as they connect ideas, information, and experiences.

Quest To Learn 0

Posted September 29, 2010
Quest IS the school of the the future. It incorporates technology and game design in all of it curriculum which make the children eager to learn. The way my child is learning makes me want to go back to school.

Posted June 25, 2010
Quest to Learn has just completed its first year as I write this. My child has had a challenging, rewarding sixth grade year; he has learned so much in the most innovative, relevant environment, refusing to miss a day of school, even when sick. He is always engaged, never bored, always talking about his classes, what he's doing, what he's learning, how it all fits in to the scheme of education design and systems there. Blows me a way every day! Over all a fantastic experience!

Quest To Learn
351 West 18th Street, New York, NY  10011
Last modified Quest To Learn is a Public school that serves grades 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Quest To Learn Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top