/ School Profile
New York, NY

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 3

Posted February 03, 2014
The school is a wonderful place for children to enjoy the music and arts first hand. My grandson is 7 and came to live with me after being in foster care for 2 years and has insecurities and issues from his past. He started at this school and it has been a positive experience to say the least. The staff is very involved with education and safety. His teacher Miss Goldberg is wonderful in every way. She has patience with energetic second graders that can be challenging at times. She gives each child the attention needed and has a way to keep everything in order.

Posted October 31, 2013
I am a parent at 51 and love the school. Everyone is working very hard to make sure each child's needs are met and the math common core presentation for parents understanding was excellent. The arts and music program led by those teachers is simply outstanding. My child is playing 2 instruments, reading music and involved in too many actives. This school and commuinty has grown in excellence every year. The teachers are passionate and there is even a health clinic. What I love about the school is that they are responsive to concerns always and finding ways to improve. This school is strong. They have met every challenge and used it as a chance to grow. I hope more positive strong people will join our "family of learners" back on the west side! PS 51 Rocks!

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 4

Posted October 30, 2013
The new building is beautiful and staff and student moral has definitely improved since returning to Hells Kitchen. My child is very happy and enjoys school. Administration does not always communicate and seem welcoming to solving problems with parents. The best teacher is the music teacher! She really cares and there are many opportunities available to all students. There is so much potential for 51 to become one of NYC's best schools, however changes must be made to improve the learning curricullum and get on board with common core standards, test prep and workshops for parents.

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 4

Posted October 30, 2013
PS 51 is a great school with quality, caring teachers. I have always felt welcome and appreciated by the administration and staff. I've seen the rigorous work the students do (it is especially apparent in the many art and music presentations throughout the year). The many ensembles and afterschool enrichment programs offer a great variety of teaching styles and situations for all types of young learners. If your child was not "chosen" for a certain group, I'll bet you money he/she is already included in at least 1 other activity (or performing ensemble). There's so much that PS 51 has to offer our children. Let's support them instead of tear them down!! Go Elias Howe!!!!!

Posted October 30, 2013
As a teacher at PS 51 (of 5 years), I feel proud- and blessed- to work beside such dedicated and talented educators. I have witnessed first hand the hundreds (literally) of hours spent developing the new rigorous curriculum that is closely aligned with the common core standards for all grades. Teachers are constantly engaged in research involving the most effective teaching techniques. (This semester's focus is academic conversations in the classroom.) Most of this work is done before or after school in addition to the countless hours we spend differentiating our instructional materials for each and every student. I personally spend almost every lunch and prep working with the lowest and highest performing students to supplement their classwork in ways that will help every single child continue to achieve growth in their studies. I worked in 4 other schools before joining 51. Our administration is constantly walking in and out of classrooms and rehearsals offering support to teachers and students, unlike the other admin I've worked for who remained behind locked doors all day. I have never met a principal who spends more time with her students in the classroom than our principal.

Posted September 06, 2013
A relatively small school; staff know all children by names. My child has never felt unwelcome or bullied here - in fact, the school has a character education and other programs to help children treat each other with respect! Never heard staff "shouting" at children (unless in the crowded and noisy gym during recess or dismissal) or behaving towards them in a manner other than respectful and compassionate.

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 2

Posted August 25, 2013
While the school administrators are rather unfriendly and very hard to reach, my child had a great relationship with his teachers, especially the music and art instructors. The overall level, however, is rather mediocre and the children don't get enough opportunities to learn beyond the very basics. The methods they employ are also rather archaic: one often hears teachers shouting and reprimanding the children as well as humiliating them in front of one another, marking certain children as "good" and others as "bad" very early on in life. Do not attend this school unless you have no other choice as the principal will not release your child if you wish to transfer to a different school.

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 2

Posted May 16, 2013
This school's has went downhill in the past 3 years. I can count the good teachers with one hand. This kind of school is not suited for bright children. My child has become bored with the curriculum it's far too easy. The level of education is far below average. I believe once the renovating began last year the school went downhill. The bus strike was the WORSE. i havent been happy with ps 51 in about 3 years.

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 3

Posted February 08, 2013
School children's security is so bad its scary!!.. anyone can walk in and out.. have we not learned from this!!!

P.S. 51 Elias Howe 1

Posted January 28, 2013
Communication from school to parents is virtually non-existent. During Hurricane Sandy we did not receive a single email from the school for the entire two weeks. The website is useless, there is also no communication with parents as to when to expect their children to be home. There have been several occasions where my child was two hours late getting home--I was a nervous wreck. There is no outreach. Cannot recommend.

P.S. 51 Elias Howe
525 West 44th Street, New York, NY  10036
Last modified P.S. 51 Elias Howe is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
P.S. 51 Elias Howe Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top