Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

PS 51 is the crown jewel of Hell's Kitchen. A beautiful building, a worldly student body, brilliant & loving teachers, a terrific principal. The art and music programs are truly spectacular. My daughter's first two years there (K & 1) have been wonderful and I am so happy this is our neighborhood school. Just seeing the way the kids embrace each other in the playgrounds tells you what a special place it is. I wish they had more money for PE and language programs, but with a super-active PTA, that could still happen. The academic programs are uniquely designed to meet each student's needs. I can't say enough good things about PS 51.

P.S.51 is a unique small school in the heart of Manhattan, characterized by its diversity, motivated by the ideal of a holistic education that integrates the arts into the process of learning, allowing the students to excel academically as well as creatively and emotionally. This focus on arts education would not be possible without the strong commitment and leadership of Principal Nancy Sing-Bock. P.S.51 was recognized by the Department of Education as having a stellar arts education program. P.S.51 was also named an Outstanding School by The Blackboard Awards, achievements that show how much we are all committed to the success of each student at our school. My oldest daughter has already graduated from PS51 and my youngest daughter will be attending 4th grade in September. This is by far the best primary public school in our neighborhood. Lorena Camacho, Emilia Urcola (11) and Camila Urcola (9).

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have been very impressed with the teaching staff at PS 51. Every teacher our children have had has been caring, engaged and highly competent.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Like every school in NYC i'm surprised by the amount of homework kids get here. It's developmental and age appropriate but more than our kids received outside of NYC.

We moved to Midtown Manhattan from Madison Wisconsin where we had a fantastic experience with our neighborhood school. Needless to say we were nervous about NY Public Schools... but we LOVE Elias Howe! We have two children there this year and will send our third next fall. It's a brand new facility with large classrooms full of natural light, a great playground, stage and gym. Classroom sizes are around 18 for each of our children so they get lots of time with teachers and behavioral issue that might eat up instruction time are low. The school has a seasoned and very hands on principal and an involved PTA. Our kids love their teachers and we have been impressed with their skill and care for our kids. Our children are developing great math, science and reading skills, PLUS the arts and music programs are incredible (maybe the best in the city). Every child gets free tap lessons through Rosie O'Donnell's dance studio around the corner. We are so grateful to live in the neighborhood and have such a great facility and faculty right next door. Put your fears and questions to rest. Sending your children to PS 51 is a wonderful, affordable and convenient educational gift to give your children.

The school is a wonderful place for children to enjoy the music and arts first hand. My grandson is 7 and came to live with me after being in foster care for 2 years and has insecurities and issues from his past. He started at this school and it has been a positive experience to say the least. The staff is very involved with education and safety. His teacher Miss Goldberg is wonderful in every way. She has patience with energetic second graders that can be challenging at times. She gives each child the attention needed and has a way to keep everything in order.

I am a parent at 51 and love the school. Everyone is working very hard to make sure each child's needs are met and the math common core presentation for parents understanding was excellent. The arts and music program led by those teachers is simply outstanding. My child is playing 2 instruments, reading music and involved in too many actives. This school and commuinty has grown in excellence every year. The teachers are passionate and there is even a health clinic. What I love about the school is that they are responsive to concerns always and finding ways to improve. This school is strong. They have met every challenge and used it as a chance to grow. I hope more positive strong people will join our "family of learners" back on the west side! PS 51 Rocks!

The new building is beautiful and staff and student moral has definitely improved since returning to Hells Kitchen. My child is very happy and enjoys school. Administration does not always communicate and seem welcoming to solving problems with parents. The best teacher is the music teacher! She really cares and there are many opportunities available to all students. There is so much potential for 51 to become one of NYC's best schools, however changes must be made to improve the learning curricullum and get on board with common core standards, test prep and workshops for parents.

PS 51 is a great school with quality, caring teachers. I have always felt welcome and appreciated by the administration and staff. I've seen the rigorous work the students do (it is especially apparent in the many art and music presentations throughout the year). The many ensembles and afterschool enrichment programs offer a great variety of teaching styles and situations for all types of young learners. If your child was not "chosen" for a certain group, I'll bet you money he/she is already included in at least 1 other activity (or performing ensemble). There's so much that PS 51 has to offer our children. Let's support them instead of tear them down!! Go Elias Howe!!!!!

As a teacher at PS 51 (of 5 years), I feel proud- and blessed- to work beside such dedicated and talented educators. I have witnessed first hand the hundreds (literally) of hours spent developing the new rigorous curriculum that is closely aligned with the common core standards for all grades. Teachers are constantly engaged in research involving the most effective teaching techniques. (This semester's focus is academic conversations in the classroom.) Most of this work is done before or after school in addition to the countless hours we spend differentiating our instructional materials for each and every student. I personally spend almost every lunch and prep working with the lowest and highest performing students to supplement their classwork in ways that will help every single child continue to achieve growth in their studies. I worked in 4 other schools before joining 51. Our administration is constantly walking in and out of classrooms and rehearsals offering support to teachers and students, unlike the other admin I've worked for who remained behind locked doors all day. I have never met a principal who spends more time with her students in the classroom than our principal.

Last modified P.S. 51 Elias Howe is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.