/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted April 20, 2015
Each year has been chaos after K-5. My child who I felt I had on the right track is now going to fail for the year. We constanly talk to the teacher and stay involved. They always set up these meetings and say they want to do this and that to help and it never goes through. They always wanna set up a meeting To figure out what to do. Why not just have one meeting and actually pull through on their end??? The kids are wild acting, alot of fighting. In my childs class everyday there is some sort of incident. They don't know what happened, but they want to say 'this is what happened but I didn't SEE what happened. They go with whatever kids tell them as well like they are adults. Things happen the teachers claim not to know what happened. Alot of bullying between the kids. I start to question if this school IS on the right. Some students are disrespectful, no control over the kids. Harlem success always has things in order, I don't get why they are so chaotic. Why are so many kids being held back? Also supervision there isn't what it should be. Yea I'm basing my poor experience off of what my child is going through. Clnassroom control is awful.

Posted February 04, 2015
All considered, I rate The Sojourner Truth School four starts. Because the students seem to be progressing in the Common Core studies and many of the teachers are really great. However, our Administrators leave something be desired. I think the schools inability to repair or replace broken windows for more then a year bespeaks our Administrators efforts. Its about multi-tasking is it not? I have spoken directly to AP Jones about all of the missing windows, thus to no avail. Why do we as leaders preach one thing and demonstrate yet another and we, as parents and teachers, keep them around; almost, seemingly, afraid that we would be asked to do the job. I say hold the Administrators to task or ship them off to other failing schools; or perhaps, we can simply fire them. A safe environment and a child's education doesn't seem to work well together at PS/MS 149 The Sojourner Truth School.

Posted February 28, 2014
The Principal, Barbara Darrigo, has brought light and hope to this school. PS/MS 149 had many changes of leadership before Ms. Darrigo came to the school in 2011. She changed the culture and tone of the school to a much more positive one. Ms. Darrigo has brought in programs that enhance the learning environment. Harlem Lacrosse and Leadership is changing the lives of the middle school students. There is a jazz institute and a tap dance program. The school was also a recipient of the Shubert Theater Foundation Grant in 2011. Strong Women/ Strong Girls chose PS 149 as their pilot school in NYC. The school went from an 'F' to a 'B' this year on the school report card. There is a family feeling within this school and the administration appears to be very supportive of the staff.

Posted February 11, 2014
Ps 149 sojourner truth on 117 St and Lennox. This is one of the melting pot schools without hope. Some of the staff is rude,confused and depressed. Kids are walking Around the school and not in class. Most of the students Are reading below average. Teachers success rates are below standards. I beg you not to let your child attend this waste of funding school. Do your research.

Posted October 20, 2012
Principal leadership is a heartwarming and sincere role and this principal wants to see every student succeed. This principal is in her second year and replaced a principal who lef tthe current principal with a large overhaul to attend. I believe this is the principal who will turn this school around and who will be able to offer hope to these students for a real future.

Posted March 05, 2012
I found the school to be very disorganized and some of the children to be extremely rude and disrespectful. In addition, the staff was extremely rude to me, in particular the payroll secretary was very unprofessional.

Posted January 10, 2011
I WENT TO THE SCHOOL, AND SO FAR I LIKE IT, I HOPE BY ME WORKING WITH THE TEACHERS IT WILL IMPROVE

Ps 149 Sojourner Truth 3

Posted January 13, 2009
There have been a lot of changes in the school since the new principal came a few years ago. For one thing, I can say thatthe school is clean, and it never was. The principal has an open door policy and whenever necessary the students and the kids can go to her in confidence. I am happyb that the administration actually care about the kids. I read the other reviews and clearly the parent is just venting. I have been in this neighborhood for many years. I have seen the principals come and go. The school has changed for the positive and I think it's a shame that people just sick back and complain and don't join in the effort to make positive change.

Ps 149 Sojourner Truth

Posted April 27, 2008
this school is very un-organized. There is no control over the students and their behaviors and there is no such thing as tutorial help/academic help.

Posted January 04, 2007
this school is very unorganized,the staff is not very professional

Ps 149 Sojourner Truth
41 West 117th Street, New York, NY  10026
Last modified Ps 149 Sojourner Truth is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 149 Sojourner Truth Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top