/ School Profile
New York, NY

Ps 191 Amsterdam 4

Posted March 13, 2015
THERE IS NOW A NEW PRINCIPAL! HALLELUJAH!! The new principal, Ms. Keville, is really working to help improve the school. The old principal was horrible and thank goodness she is no longer there.

Ps 191 Amsterdam 2

Posted March 29, 2014
Great staff with a awful supervisors. I have been working in this school this year so I have an insider's point of view. There are many children with emotional disabilities, learning disabilities and behavior disabilities who are students here. Poverty is a difficult obstacle to overcome and this school mostly serves poor children. The classes are overflowing with children who have IEP's but there is only so much a teacher can do. The principal bullies the staff and yet never helps with any of the behavior issues. She doesn't meet with parents unless a catastrophe happened. The staff feels under-appreciated and harassed by the administration yet continue to do a good job in a difficult situation.

Ps 191 Amsterdam 2

Posted February 21, 2014
My daughter is in kindergarten this year. There are wonderful things and awful things about this school. There are 2 kindergarten classes and both have wonderful teachers. In fact, all of my daughter's teachers are great. She thinks her music teacher (Ms. Feder) is terrific and loves going to dance. However, the behavior issues she sees o a daily basis scare her. For what I see, nothing is ever done about the behavior problems and the same troubled kids come every day and create chaos in the school. The principal is invisible and when she does show her face seems incompetent. Overall, it seems a shame, because with the right leadership we might have another good school on the Upper Westside.

Posted December 06, 2013
My Pre K son attends this school 2013-1014. I am IN LOVE with the school, faculty, and parents (for the most part; but can only speak to the lower grades). This school has a reputation for being 'rough', which it is a little bit (20% in lower grades). The PTA and faculty are extremely dedicated to continuing to gendrify and grow the school. The faculty I face daily (teachers, admin and parent/teacher coor, aides are all so warm, amazing and genuinely want the best for these children. I have attended several PTA meetings and field trips and am so impressed with the organization, dedication and amount of work being put into this school to move it forward and be a more competitive option for the neighborhood. I highly recommend this school to anyone in elementary school.

Ps 191 Amsterdam 4

Posted November 20, 2013
PS 191. This school works. Check the test scores, as the students move up through the grades their scores get better which indicates that the school is actually teaching the children. The partnership with museums is a plus. Music and Dance instruction in the lower grades is also bonus

Ps 191 Amsterdam 1

Posted October 01, 2013
This school is a disaster. I am a licensed NYS teacher, however, I am a substitute teacher and I subbed for this school last year. The principal is not visiable during the day. She is in her office. The only time I saw her is when I arrived and she was very abrupt and told me that I had a group of children waiting for me upstairs and I did not have time to go to the bathroom. I went to the bathroom. The assistant principal was available, (thank God) during the day and I and the co-teacher had to deal with students that were rude, obnoxious and unruly. I wrote everybody up and sent it to the principal via e-mail. I can't understand how a principal could let his or her school get so out of control. I would be ashamed if a visitor teacher or anyone came to my school and the students, especially grades 4 and up, acting as if their next school might be Spofford. I appreciated the help of the assistant principal and I feel that she should take over and the principal step down and call it a day. I am writing a memoir about my substitute teacher experiences and this school will be featured. This school and 111 in Queens run neck and neck when it comes to being unsatisfactory.

Ps 191 Amsterdam 1

Posted September 30, 2013
This school is horrible.. The administrative staff never gets anything done.. You will be calling and never get a call back.. Make a complaint to the board of eddy cation and still nothin gets done.. The 3rd grade curriculum is even worst.. My son came home everyday with one math problem and read a book.. He has state tests he has to take and this school was both equip to help him with that.. I transferred out as soon as I could.. If you have standards for what a school should be, this school will never hold up.. You've been warned.

Ps 191 Amsterdam 3

Posted August 01, 2013
This school is out of control, disrepectful students run in the halls, the staff is stressed out, incompetant office stff and supervisors. it should be reorganized or shut down.

Posted January 24, 2013
My son is in Kindergarten here and I am totally impressed. He is a mainstream student in an ICT class and he is truly benefiting from the amazingly patient, competent and driven teachers. These teachers care! At first I was nervous about sending him. However, the scores online DO NOT depict what is really going on there. They are working so hard at bringing up these scores and it is evident. The classrooms have ipads, laptops and smartboards. He is learning piano, dance and doing gorgeous art projects. My son has learned so much. The parent coordinator knows every student personally and takes such great care of them (and their parents). Everyone talks about how great the pre-k is but I have to say, the Kindergarten is wonderful too. Take a tour. You will be surprised.

Posted June 11, 2011
I am the proud parent supporter of The Museum Magnet school for Inquiry Innovation and Imagination formerly known as PS 191. I am writing on behalf of my daughter to commend her Pre-K G-6 teachers for all their leadership, commitment, hard work, and support throughout year. I expected great things this year and I have not been disappointed. So often we hear complaints from parents and teachers that the other is not doing their job. It is hard for teachers to understand the strengths and challenges of parents and parents often feel like outsiders in the school world. So I am very thankful we are breaking down barriers fostering positive communication between teachers and strong school to home connection through face to face dialogue, emails, phone calls, weekly newsletters, etc... I believe it is vital to have an excellent rapport with your child's teacher because it will lead to better outcomes for your child. I highly recommend sending your child here very please with the curriculum!

Ps 191 Amsterdam
210 West 61st Street, New York, NY  10023
Last modified Ps 191 Amsterdam is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 191 Amsterdam Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top