Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Posted May 24, 2016
My child loves his school, and so do we. His teachers are warm and caring, and are providing a rigorous education without sacrificing time spent on helping him become a well rounded individual. He looks forward to going each day and is filled with excitement over all he is learning. The PTA works hard to raise money to support enrichment programs in the school. There are lots of ways for families to be involved.

Posted May 24, 2016
I have a 2nd grader in G&T here at PSIS217. We came in kindergarten. We are so thankful that we came to the school, they care about each and every child and focus on the whole child. This year we have Ms. Rubenstein. She has made 2nd grade such a positive experience for my son. With all her patience , creativity, love and kindness. Not to mention engaging my son in critical thinking and a growth mindset. We couldn't have asked for a better 2nd grade experience.

Posted May 24, 2016
Ms. Rubenstein helps her children recognize their unique talents and gifts. She makes each and every one of her students feel special. She teaches far more than just the basic curriculum. She spends time discussing compassion, integrity, honesty and gratitude. My son has grown so much under her care.

Posted May 24, 2016
We would like to thank Ms. Rubenstein for being an amazing inspiration to our second grade class this year. She inspires creativity, critical thinking and passion for learning in every child, whil also teaching compassion, respect and courtesy. We couldn't have asked for a better teacher!!

Posted May 24, 2016
My son is in second grade in the G&T program at PS/IS 217, and he has had a wonderful school experience. He is reading at a very high level, he's doing 3rd grade math, and most importantly his teachers inspire him every day to be respectful, to be curious, to work hard and to love school! He's developing amazing critical thinking, reading and writing skills at a very young age. In addition, PS/IS 217 is a wonderful community - as a smaller school, everybody knows my son's name, and he loves going to all of the great school events sponsored and managed by the PTA. The Halloween Carnival, auction, International Dinner, movie nights - he loves all of the events and really enjoys spending time at his school. Thanks to a dedicated administration, very active and involved PTA, and strong community ties, this school just seems to get better every year. Deepening the Cornell Tech relationship and the development of the green roof are just two of the many exciting things in store for this school - it has a *very* bright future. Although we, like many parents, aren't sure whether we will stay for middle school, we sincerely hope that the middle school gets stronger (or develops a G&T track) so that my son can stay at PS/IS 217 even longer.

Posted December 07, 2015
We have two kids at this school and love it. We've experienced the gen ed and G&T teachers and all of the teachers we've had over years have been outstanding. They really care about the students as individuals and want to support them. They work hard to make the learning fun and interesting. We've also found the teachers very approachable with concerns or questions. I've had teachers call me on the weekends to follow up on questions I'd asked in passing or notes I'd sent in and the discussion has always been very thoughtful and encouraging. I really can't say enough nice things about them. The students are very diverse as there are a lot of U.N. families from all over the world. We love it there.

Posted November 19, 2015
This is our third year in this school, including pre-K. Our daughter is in G&T program and we are very happy with our school. We chose this school over other options for many reasons. P.S./I.S 217 offers a variety of enrichment programs that deeply contribute to the children development, like music, art, etc. We love the fact that It is very international school. it has a beautiful space, bright cafeteria with amazing view at East River and Upper East Side, big gym and what's important a big yard that allows kids to have outside recess every day when weather permits (even in winter). The teachers are excellent! For the third year in a row we have had an amazing teachers, very knowledgeable, nurturing and attentive. Our daughter comes from school very happy and we observe the progress she makes every day in different skills. The school has very active PTA that does an amazing job in organizing different events like Halloween, International Dinner, Auction, movie and crafts nights, etc. We love all those events, they bring the community together, and they are fun and kids love them. The administration is doing a wonderful job so our kids are getting quality education. Also, it is so nice that they know every child by name! which shows how much they care about our children. We are very happy with our choice. It's a great school.

Posted November 10, 2015
I have 3 children attending PS 217 in Gen Ed. We have been attending this school for the past 4 years and have been extremely happy with our overall experience. The school has a lot of extra classes that my children absolutely love and may not get at other schools (art, music, yoga, idig2learn, etc) . There is also a community vibe at the school that I have not seen at other schools. My kids really love all the special events that happen at the school (Halloween Carnival, Family Movie Night, Spirit Week, and Book Fairs, just to name a few) which has developed and nurtured that community feel. The school administration has also done an excellent job hiring teachers that have a sincere interest in the children they teach. My children have had excellent teachers that have helped them develop a love of learning.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 07, 2015
Grade levels each have a community service project to raise awareness for those in need.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 07, 2015
Students are pushed in the classrooms, but in a way that is within reason and free of pressure. Kids are allowed to make mistakes and learn from the mistakes. They feel comfortable taking risks. Teachers have high expectations.

645 Main Street, New York, NY  10044
Last modified Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.