/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted February 26, 2015
My son is a first grader at PS/IS 217 and he LOVES his school. He is so happy to be there everyday and has had excellent teachers-- both in his classroom and in the many electives that he goes to each week. As a parent, I have had an excellent experience with the school. There are many important ways for parents to be actively involved and there are frequent family events, so that my younger child can also feel like a part of the school community. My son is excelling academically and benefiting from taking Spanish, science, computers, music, gym and art each week. I am grateful that my son does not have a burdensome amount of homework and that he gets recess and choice time, within his classroom. We are a very satisfied PS/IS 217 family.

Posted February 25, 2015
My son is a G&T student here and he loves it. The school is gorgeous, bright and modern. The teachers are excellent and caring. Every week my son gets gym, art, music, Spanish, computers and science in addition to all the regular schoolwork. Our PTA is very active and welcoming. They fund 8 week programs like Studio in The School, yoga, Living Library, NY Historical Society, ballroom dancing & more. The administration now seems to be in sync with the PTA and that's made a big difference. I highly recommend this school, especially if you care about your child having a well rounded educational experience.

Posted February 21, 2015
I have two children going to this school. My oldest is in the G & T class and my other is in the general class. The teachers are excellent. The school has amazing space! My kids love their teachers and classmates. It has a very diverse population, which I like. Wish it could bring in some more after school clubs/activities, but it has a good deal of enrichments during the school day. Overall a great school, which could be one of the finest schools in NYC in a few years.

Posted February 13, 2015
My son is in the G+T program. He loves going to school and has learned a great deal for his age. It is an ideal learning environment with supportive and accessible teachers in a spacious, light-filled, and river-view building. Parents are encouraged to be active and the PTA is welcoming and supportive of enrichments. The school supports the whole child approach - with arts, music, math, reading/writing, science, physical education, etc. We are very happy to have our son there.

Posted February 12, 2015
My child loves his school, and so do we. His teachers are warm and caring, and are providing a rigorous education without sacrificing time spent on helping him become a well rounded individual. He looks forward to going each day and is filled with excitement over all he is learning. The PTA works hard to raise money to support enrichment programs in the school. There are lots of ways for families to be involved.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 2

Posted August 01, 2014
This school has a lot to improve on. Classes are over crowded except for G&T. Admin does not communicate well with teachers. Very high turn over rate where the best teachers are leaving under the leadership of an inexperienced principal and finding better schools to teach. PE, computers, and Music is offered which are all great programs but the kids only have it once a week if that.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 4

Posted April 04, 2014
I had 2 elementary age children enrolled here for three years, during that time they had wonderful teachers and an excellent education. Despite the fact that some of the classes were bridge classes (combined grades) to compensate for overcrowding, I feel that my children received a great education and experiences. The PTA works hard to keep the art, music and other programs funded. There is a free afterschool program which also offers soccer and baseball to community kids. As a stay at home mom, I didn't need to send my kids to after school care, however they loved going during the long winter. Beacon after school provided lots of activities(art, languages, dance, and now musical theater and more). There are lots of wonderful families that attend the elementary school, however it seems that they move to other schools by middle school. The elementary school has been great and I am so glad we had it during on time on the family friendly Roosevelt island!

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 3

Posted September 08, 2013
PS Is 217 is trying. I agree that it does have much potential, and our son's first year at the school was positive following the G&T program. The teachers are supportive and skilled - they deserve much credit to the joy of learning. I was also wary of this school because of its low letter grade, but I understand that due to the transient atmosphere (there are a lot of transfers on this island and sometimes these students only stay for a year) this school will always be challenged to stay consistent in the testings. My disappointments come from the school's leadership as a whole. The principal does not have much respect from the other administration and it's hard for her to lead them. I am looking forward to the new leadership of the PTA this year to see if participation improves. Last year, there was a valiant effort, but again, since some of these families have no real stake in the community, the contributions are low.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 1

Posted August 05, 2013
This school is lead by very weak administration, who are unwilling to listen or encourage the PTA, but at the same time, the admin beg the PTA for funds for any kind of enrichment, or school supply. The teachers are by and large fantastic, but without support from the lackluster admin, their hands are tied. I wish this school well, but I had to pull my child out after 3rd grade.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 1

Posted August 04, 2013
Improve with the teaching and develop teachers skills so they can be stronger. Some teachers lack the necessary skills in middle school. After third grade get your child out.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island
645 Main Street, New York, NY  10044
Last modified Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top