/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted April 17, 2015
My child goes to PS/IS217 for the G&T class. I am posting this because I was one of the parents last year seeing the best school and hoping this would help. It is a unique school that G&T class has kids from the island, some from Queeens D30 (mostly from Jackson Heights), and Manhattan.No DOE school bus but chartered bus from Queens that parents have to pay for the private bus company) No school bus from Manhattan because traffic access to the island is only through queens. The rating 6 doesn't mean anything. I believe the rating is also considered combined with middle school, but middle school here is a different story and most of the students leave for another middle school. Look at each grade's score - in 2015 our first G&T 5th graders are graduating . Also having many international students here does affect the score. We gave up on our zoned school that has 10 rating and believing that this environment and warm small community is the best for kids. The facility is one of the best in NYC, and tons of greens and lawns and playgrounds around. You go to playground or library or walk on main street and always sees someone you know. We love being here every day.

Posted April 17, 2015
My son is wrapping up his kindergarten year in the G&T program at 217 and we have been really thrilled with our experience. He loves going to school and has a great relationship with his peers and his teacher. Under her guidance his learning (reading, writing, math, etc.) has exploded. She truly sees each student as an individual and offers extra challenges or support as needed. We love the clean, safe environment that the school offers and the attention that it gives to enrichment like art and music. All of that, and my son still gets to be a kid with lots of focus on outdoor time (a rare thing in NYC) and minimal time spent doing homework after school. We absolutely feel we've found a gem and are truly happy there.

Posted April 13, 2015
My son is in one of the G&T kindergarten classes and loves it. He started the year with pretty rudimentary reading skills (although probably average for a 5-year old) and now he reads chapter books on his own. I'm amazed by how much he's learned, but also how the teacher has instilled in him a love of learning and fosters his curiosity. He's so happy there. The school is in a beautiful, light-filled building with lots of amenities--music, art, yoga, science, Spanish. The administration is pretty friendly and accommodating--they welcomed all of the questions a nervous kindergarten parent might ask. We've had a great experience this year.

Posted February 26, 2015
My son is a first grader at PS/IS 217 and he LOVES his school. He is so happy to be there everyday and has had excellent teachers-- both in his classroom and in the many electives that he goes to each week. As a parent, I have had an excellent experience with the school. There are many important ways for parents to be actively involved and there are frequent family events, so that my younger child can also feel like a part of the school community. My son is excelling academically and benefiting from taking Spanish, science, computers, music, gym and art each week. I am grateful that my son does not have a burdensome amount of homework and that he gets recess and choice time, within his classroom. We are a very satisfied PS/IS 217 family.

Posted February 25, 2015
My son is a G&T student here and he loves it. The school is gorgeous, bright and modern. The teachers are excellent and caring. Every week my son gets gym, art, music, Spanish, computers and science in addition to all the regular schoolwork. Our PTA is very active and welcoming. They fund 8 week programs like Studio in The School, yoga, Living Library, NY Historical Society, ballroom dancing & more. The administration now seems to be in sync with the PTA and that's made a big difference. I highly recommend this school, especially if you care about your child having a well rounded educational experience.

Posted February 21, 2015
I have two children going to this school. My oldest is in the G & T class and my other is in the general class. The teachers are excellent. The school has amazing space! My kids love their teachers and classmates. It has a very diverse population, which I like. Wish it could bring in some more after school clubs/activities, but it has a good deal of enrichments during the school day. Overall a great school, which could be one of the finest schools in NYC in a few years.

Posted February 13, 2015
My son is in the G+T program. He loves going to school and has learned a great deal for his age. It is an ideal learning environment with supportive and accessible teachers in a spacious, light-filled, and river-view building. Parents are encouraged to be active and the PTA is welcoming and supportive of enrichments. The school supports the whole child approach - with arts, music, math, reading/writing, science, physical education, etc. We are very happy to have our son there.

Posted February 12, 2015
My child loves his school, and so do we. His teachers are warm and caring, and are providing a rigorous education without sacrificing time spent on helping him become a well rounded individual. He looks forward to going each day and is filled with excitement over all he is learning. The PTA works hard to raise money to support enrichment programs in the school. There are lots of ways for families to be involved.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 2

Posted August 01, 2014
This school has a lot to improve on. Classes are over crowded except for G&T. Admin does not communicate well with teachers. Very high turn over rate where the best teachers are leaving under the leadership of an inexperienced principal and finding better schools to teach. PE, computers, and Music is offered which are all great programs but the kids only have it once a week if that.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 4

Posted April 04, 2014
I had 2 elementary age children enrolled here for three years, during that time they had wonderful teachers and an excellent education. Despite the fact that some of the classes were bridge classes (combined grades) to compensate for overcrowding, I feel that my children received a great education and experiences. The PTA works hard to keep the art, music and other programs funded. There is a free afterschool program which also offers soccer and baseball to community kids. As a stay at home mom, I didn't need to send my kids to after school care, however they loved going during the long winter. Beacon after school provided lots of activities(art, languages, dance, and now musical theater and more). There are lots of wonderful families that attend the elementary school, however it seems that they move to other schools by middle school. The elementary school has been great and I am so glad we had it during on time on the family friendly Roosevelt island!

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island
645 Main Street, New York, NY  10044
Last modified Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top