/ School Profile
New York, NY

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 2

Posted August 01, 2014
This school has a lot to improve on. Classes are over crowded except for G&T. Admin does not communicate well with teachers. Very high turn over rate where the best teachers are leaving under the leadership of an inexperienced principal and finding better schools to teach. PE, computers, and Music is offered which are all great programs but the kids only have it once a week if that.

Posted April 04, 2014
I had 2 elementary age children enrolled here for three years, during that time they had wonderful teachers and an excellent education. Despite the fact that some of the classes were bridge classes (combined grades) to compensate for overcrowding, I feel that my children received a great education and experiences. The PTA works hard to keep the art, music and other programs funded. There is a free afterschool program which also offers soccer and baseball to community kids. As a stay at home mom, I didn't need to send my kids to after school care, however they loved going during the long winter. Beacon after school provided lots of activities(art, languages, dance, and now musical theater and more). There are lots of wonderful families that attend the elementary school, however it seems that they move to other schools by middle school. The elementary school has been great and I am so glad we had it during on time on the family friendly Roosevelt island!

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 3

Posted September 08, 2013
PS Is 217 is trying. I agree that it does have much potential, and our son's first year at the school was positive following the G&T program. The teachers are supportive and skilled - they deserve much credit to the joy of learning. I was also wary of this school because of its low letter grade, but I understand that due to the transient atmosphere (there are a lot of transfers on this island and sometimes these students only stay for a year) this school will always be challenged to stay consistent in the testings. My disappointments come from the school's leadership as a whole. The principal does not have much respect from the other administration and it's hard for her to lead them. I am looking forward to the new leadership of the PTA this year to see if participation improves. Last year, there was a valiant effort, but again, since some of these families have no real stake in the community, the contributions are low.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 1

Posted August 05, 2013
This school is lead by very weak administration, who are unwilling to listen or encourage the PTA, but at the same time, the admin beg the PTA for funds for any kind of enrichment, or school supply. The teachers are by and large fantastic, but without support from the lackluster admin, their hands are tied. I wish this school well, but I had to pull my child out after 3rd grade.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 1

Posted August 04, 2013
Improve with the teaching and develop teachers skills so they can be stronger. Some teachers lack the necessary skills in middle school. After third grade get your child out.

Posted November 16, 2012
My child is in the G&T program here. I think this is an extremely good school with the potential to be a truly excellent school. The facilities are beautiful and modern, and I have been really impressed by the teachers. My child takes gym, music, art, and Spanish, in addition to her "regular" class. I have been really impressed with the principal and the parent coordinator. I was initially wary of this school because of its low letter grade, but going there has shown me that the letter grades are completely bogus (as I suspected). I agree with another reviewer. If the PTA can just get more and new volunteers, this school could easily rival some of the best schools in District 2. (The middle school is also less than ideal, but I see a lot of work happening there.)

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 5

Posted May 12, 2011
I love this school all the teachers put the children's needs into proper perspective. Throughout the school all the children learn about respect for one another and reponsablity toward there community. My daughter has been attending PS IS 217 since Pre-K. Her love of learning has been greatly rewarded by a staff that engages children and I feel that prepares them for the real world by rewarding the children for there hard work and respect with coupons to be cashed in for small toys and school supplies.

Posted April 18, 2011
My child is now in his third year at this school. I see lots of exciting things happening here. The administration is always available, I see my child's teacher as much as needed and have her contact information for questions or concerns, the school is well kept, the art and music program is a definite plus and my child loves the school which is most important to me!

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 2

Posted April 12, 2011
My daughter attended the school since 1st grade and I had consistent problems with the staff minus her 3rd grade teacher. In fourth grade I finally had enough and moved her after she told her teacher she was leaving the school the teacher packed her up and sent her home with all her belongings including good bye notes. Not one staff member contacted me to confirm this ! I feel like they wait until a child has completely failed to address any concerns.

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island 5

Posted March 14, 2011
PS 217 has been a wonderful place for my son and for me as a parent. The school building is well maintained, bright and cheerful. The principal and administration are easy to deal with and committed to quality education. Best of all my son is thriving in the Kindergarten G&T class. He loves his teacher and classmates. His days are filled with wonderful activities - computers, science, music, art, Spanish, and of course reading and writing. Plus, the school and the PTA have organized fantastic field trips. We could not be happier!

Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island
645 Main Street, New York, NY  10044
Last modified Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps Is 217 Roosevelt Island Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top