/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted October 17, 2014
This school appears to be the best place for your child to attend school. That is until other parents give you the warning about the second grade teacher . It's only september and we now understand what we didn't back in june. In my opinion this school should give an IQ exam to all entering students. It would provably help them better profile their students before accepting them since all they really care is the school's status. Submitted by someone who cares about every child's feeling .

Posted October 16, 2014
I have a grandchild at this school. Everything goes well until they enter second grade. At this point they need to compete with the school's future "Ivy league students in order to have a pleasant day at school. The school needs to give love and understanding to all their students even those that don't meet their profile. Submitted by a concern grandparent.

Posted December 08, 2013
Note school for students to learn. Just test takers and those worried about status. Beautiful school, but you can't just a books by its cover.

Posted August 21, 2013
At first I was happy with St. Joseph's School Yorkville, but as my children moved up in grades I started to have my doubts. The teachers care for the students, and the school is a clean/safe environment. I started to become skeptical when I did not see a change in the work as the state adopted the new Common Core Standards. In the several years my children have been in the school they have NEVER completed an independent writing piece, that's just unacceptable!! If your child is on grade level they will do fine because instruction is whole group in a large class size. The students above grade level as well as those that may need some help will not have their needs met. If the student can't follow whole group instruction you will be told by the principal that they should be evaluated without data to support or strategies implemented within the school. I know several families that this has happen to! Very Disappointing! You will be better off sending your child to a public elementary school in the area.

Posted July 22, 2012
I attended this school for middle school so I can only speak for the upperclassman teachers. This school has good solid academics. But it doesn't offer any AP or honors classes. There's only one class per grade (in the upper grades). I felt like I was always getting held back by the low performing students in my class. I couldn't perform as high as I wanted to. They didn't challenged me academically. I wasn't motivated to do my best. So if you're an average student, this school is fine. But if you're a high performing student like me, I suggest you go to another school where you have more options.

Posted June 13, 2012
We have had a wonderful experience at St. Joseph's. The Pre-K teachers have all been positive, creative and nurturing. This has made for a wonderful experience for our child, where they love to go to school each day. Miss Bernero is a very dedicated principal that has built a strong sense of community in the school. The philosophy may be strict in nature but has formed a positive sense of accountability with our child, even at the Pre-K level as they are learning to be an independent student that is responsible for their belongings and behavior.

Posted March 23, 2011
I am a current student here and I can assure you this school REALLY prepares you for high school and all the challenges you will face. The teachers helped me gain essential skills I need to succeed. I do agree with one of the previous comments that the rules are pretty strict but the teachers are warm and kind; they are always willing to help. They challenged YET supported me. Thank you St. Joseph's! I am glad to say that I AM a student of this school. :)

Posted December 14, 2010
My daughter graduated from St. Joseph and was offered 2 scholarships for High School. She continues to do well in her High School. My son is currently attending and doing very well. The teachers and parents are great and I would highly recommend this school.

Posted May 10, 2010
Most of the students are already smart and would perform well at other schools. SJY is good about covering traditional academic curriculum, but not in a way that fosters a love of learning. Which hinders the true growth that some of the students could achieve at this school. Overall culture is very authoratative with strict rules. Could use some profes. development courses on nurturing students and positive reinforcement, not just punitive punishment as discipline. If your child fits a certain mold they will be favored and have no concerns. Trips, even to develop further interests in subject matter, are rare to none. Well maintained building and good gym facilities, but no team sports. Extracuricular activities have improved. No running during recess is a little restrictive. Choose a good performing safe public school or, if money or getting accepted is not an issue, an independent private school instead.

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville 0

Posted March 22, 2010
I have been sending my children to St. Joes since pre k 3, and my oldest is in 4th grade now! The school is fantastic, it offers adademics as well as creative activities for a well rounded child. The teachers truly love teaching and nurture the children, with their best interested in mind. I wish it followed through 12th grade!

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville
420 E 87th St, New York, NY  10128
Last modified St. Joseph's School-Yorkville is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Joseph's School-Yorkville Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top