/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted July 04, 2015
Although this school was not for us, we are grateful to have attended the early years there. Second grade was such a worthwhile year thanks to the experience and knowledge of that teacher, who my child will never forget. Although my child seemed like an average learner, this teacher nurtured her strengths and strengthened her weaknesses. All of the parents could not believe how far their children had come by the end of that year!

Posted May 20, 2015
I have toured this school 3 times for my children during the course of 6 or 7 years. And something keeps bringing me back. I'm proud to say that finally both my children will be attending this wonderful school in the fall. I look forward to the next few years as my children pass through elementary and middle school at St. Joseph's.

Posted February 11, 2015
This is an excellent school. My child has been here since Pre-K3 and so far we only have praise for their teachers and staff. I have overheard that the curriculum becomes more challenging in second grade, but there must be some parent / caretaker involvement in a child s education in order to ease into that transition. Relying solely on classroom instruction without any reinforcement in the home is only setting up your child up for hardship especially if they are struggling, and even more so with the implementation of the Common Core standards. Furthermore, I believe it is extremely unfair that higher performing students have to take a backseat to those who underperform; this slows down classroom instruction. No one ever addresses this issue. Reinforcing material learned in the classroom does not have to be an expensive investment, in most cases a workbook, patience and sheer dedication works just fine. I would much rather prefer a school that challenges my child s intellect than settle on mediocrity.

Posted October 17, 2014
This school appears to be the best place for your child to attend school. That is until other parents give you the warning about the second grade teacher . It's only september and we now understand what we didn't back in june. In my opinion this school should give an IQ exam to all entering students. It would provably help them better profile their students before accepting them since all they really care is the school's status. Submitted by someone who cares about every child's feeling .

Posted October 16, 2014
I have a grandchild at this school. Everything goes well until they enter second grade. At this point they need to compete with the school's future "Ivy league students in order to have a pleasant day at school. The school needs to give love and understanding to all their students even those that don't meet their profile. Submitted by a concern grandparent.

Posted December 08, 2013
Note school for students to learn. Just test takers and those worried about status. Beautiful school, but you can't just a books by its cover.

Posted August 21, 2013
At first I was happy with St. Joseph's School Yorkville, but as my children moved up in grades I started to have my doubts. The teachers care for the students, and the school is a clean/safe environment. I started to become skeptical when I did not see a change in the work as the state adopted the new Common Core Standards. In the several years my children have been in the school they have NEVER completed an independent writing piece, that's just unacceptable!! If your child is on grade level they will do fine because instruction is whole group in a large class size. The students above grade level as well as those that may need some help will not have their needs met. If the student can't follow whole group instruction you will be told by the principal that they should be evaluated without data to support or strategies implemented within the school. I know several families that this has happen to! Very Disappointing! You will be better off sending your child to a public elementary school in the area.

Posted July 22, 2012
I attended this school for middle school so I can only speak for the upperclassman teachers. This school has good solid academics. But it doesn't offer any AP or honors classes. There's only one class per grade (in the upper grades). I felt like I was always getting held back by the low performing students in my class. I couldn't perform as high as I wanted to. They didn't challenged me academically. I wasn't motivated to do my best. So if you're an average student, this school is fine. But if you're a high performing student like me, I suggest you go to another school where you have more options.

Posted June 13, 2012
We have had a wonderful experience at St. Joseph's. The Pre-K teachers have all been positive, creative and nurturing. This has made for a wonderful experience for our child, where they love to go to school each day. Miss Bernero is a very dedicated principal that has built a strong sense of community in the school. The philosophy may be strict in nature but has formed a positive sense of accountability with our child, even at the Pre-K level as they are learning to be an independent student that is responsible for their belongings and behavior.

Posted March 23, 2011
I am a current student here and I can assure you this school REALLY prepares you for high school and all the challenges you will face. The teachers helped me gain essential skills I need to succeed. I do agree with one of the previous comments that the rules are pretty strict but the teachers are warm and kind; they are always willing to help. They challenged YET supported me. Thank you St. Joseph's! I am glad to say that I AM a student of this school. :)

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville
420 E 87th St, New York, NY  10128
Last modified St. Joseph's School-Yorkville is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Joseph's School-Yorkville Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top