PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted November 06, 2015
I've seen several comments about the 2nd grade teacher. Well, this teacher is very challenging so, if your kid is a great student, he won't have any problem, on the contrary, if your child needs more support, he will have to do a lot of efforts. In any case, I think that after one year with Mrs. Layton, they will be really prepared for 3rd grade! My biggest concern with this teacher is the amount of homework. My son spends the whole day at school in a very challenging environment and he has to spend at least 1 hour doing homework almost every day and this is definitely too much. We must remember that these kids are only 7 years old so they need time to play... Regarding the school, I think it's a great school, they do a lot of things for the kids in every special occasion and they care and love them. My improvement suggestions would be to reduce the amount of homework, increase the recess time (they have only 30 minutes per day!) and add 1 more season of sport per week, they only do sport 45 minutes per week which I think it's not enough. Basically, academics are important but they are kids so they need more time to be just a kid.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 03, 2015
Mrs. Bernero is very strict but she helped a lot my son with the transition to this school so I will be always grateful to her for that.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 28, 2015
My child is currently enrolled in St. Joseph an d has been there for 4 years now. I have no intention in switching schools, however, I was curious to see how others reviewed St. Joseph. I was honestly shocked and appalled on how other parents viewed the second grade teacher. I personally had an great experience with this teacher, she is tough but she means well. She wants the absolute best for her students, she nurtures as she molds and it is honestly the best thing that ever happened to my daughter. I reviewed her notebooks and scores before she entered the second grade and compared them to now, its amazing the improvements in all areas. All I can say THANK YOU Mrs. Layton, because of you my daughter is a better student. If you are looking for a school that doesn't push for great test scores or challenges the students to do better than go to a public school that could care less if a student passes to the next grade. If you want an average student this is not the school for you.

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville 3

Posted July 04, 2015
Although this school was not for us, we are grateful to have attended the early years there. Second grade was such a worthwhile year thanks to the experience and knowledge of that teacher, who my child will never forget. Although my child seemed like an average learner, this teacher nurtured her strengths and strengthened her weaknesses. All of the parents could not believe how far their children had come by the end of that year!

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted June 30, 2015
My son will enter this school next September. I've heard very good things about the school but horrible things about the second grade teacher. Can anybody give me an objective version about this teacher? Thanks in advance!

Posted May 20, 2015
I have toured this school 3 times for my children during the course of 6 or 7 years. And something keeps bringing me back. I'm proud to say that finally both my children will be attending this wonderful school in the fall. I look forward to the next few years as my children pass through elementary and middle school at St. Joseph's.

Posted February 11, 2015
This is an excellent school. My child has been here since Pre-K3 and so far we only have praise for their teachers and staff. I have overheard that the curriculum becomes more challenging in second grade, but there must be some parent / caretaker involvement in a child s education in order to ease into that transition. Relying solely on classroom instruction without any reinforcement in the home is only setting up your child up for hardship especially if they are struggling, and even more so with the implementation of the Common Core standards. Furthermore, I believe it is extremely unfair that higher performing students have to take a backseat to those who underperform; this slows down classroom instruction. No one ever addresses this issue. Reinforcing material learned in the classroom does not have to be an expensive investment, in most cases a workbook, patience and sheer dedication works just fine. I would much rather prefer a school that challenges my child s intellect than settle on mediocrity.

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville 2

Posted October 17, 2014
This school appears to be the best place for your child to attend school. That is until other parents give you the warning about the second grade teacher . It's only september and we now understand what we didn't back in june. In my opinion this school should give an IQ exam to all entering students. It would provably help them better profile their students before accepting them since all they really care is the school's status. Submitted by someone who cares about every child's feeling .

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville 3

Posted October 16, 2014
I have a grandchild at this school. Everything goes well until they enter second grade. At this point they need to compete with the school's future "Ivy league students in order to have a pleasant day at school. The school needs to give love and understanding to all their students even those that don't meet their profile. Submitted by a concern grandparent.

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville 2

Posted December 08, 2013
Note school for students to learn. Just test takers and those worried about status. Beautiful school, but you can't just a books by its cover.

420 E 87th St, New York, NY  10128
Last modified St. Joseph's School-Yorkville is a Private school that serves grades PK-8