Posted June 19, 2014
My children have both attended Caedmon's beginner's program (younger 3's) and we have been very happy with their progress. The teachers are warm and caring. The classroom is clean and well-organized. Discipline is maintained gently with positive encouragement and "break time" for children who need a moment alone to settle down. I observed the class on many occassions and was amazed at how quiet and focused 15 3-year olds can be with the right guidance. The school day starts with "circle time", discussing the calendar, the seasons, weather and sometimes have show-and-tell. The main part of the Montessori day is "work", focused on small projects with art, language, math, problem solving/logic or other themes. There are "practical life" works teaching skills like buttoning, pouring, using tongs, etc. developing fine motor skills that help with writing. Children sometimes work in small groups where they practice cooperation and compromise. There is a daily recess in the courtyard and weekly art, music and movement classes. Overall we've been very pleased with Caedmon and are excited about our kids starting in the Early Program (older 3's and 4/5 year olds).

The Caedmon School 1

Posted June 15, 2014
Caedmon is wanting to be a top tier Private School and so they have matched there prices accordingly, however, they are missing the other part.The education and development part.The teachers are very distant, never make eye contact with you and will not update you on anything.There is bullying and it's not addressed, no preparation for reading and writing whatsoever.It took me 2 years to "power wash" Caedmon Education off my child and I am happy to report he is now at grade level and reading and writing correctly.This would never have happened had he stayed in that school.The Finance office , however will find you and the PA will hunt you down if they feel you are not contributing enough.For every 1 update you get on how your child is doing academically , you will get 80 reminders to "donate".The donations are squandered on nonsense witch makes the school the best reason for sending your kid to Public School.Sad.

The Caedmon School 1

Posted April 02, 2014
Cons: staff is ignorant to bulling; overcrowded classes (nearly 30 kids in one class); not so nutritious food for preschoolers (despite advertising all their salad bars!); wrong place for active kids (no phisical activities). Most pre-k students do not stay there for K. Small space and filthy bathrooms. Afterschool program is weak compare to nearby activities offered by Y, various music schools and etc. Their discovery camp has no activities outside of one small room. It's more of a babysitting service (worst camp in the area). Staff is distant from parents, never updates on how kids are doing. With all the above, totally overpriced. Pros: none

The Caedmon School 2

Posted February 28, 2014
Not sure how other 3s programs are but right now i feel like my son has learned close to if not nothing this year. He has matured but I believe he matured because he is getting older and more mature not so much due to the school. He has come home with 1 yes 1 art project all year and I believe the teacher made it (way to detailed and perfect for a 3 year old). I think the 4's and 5's are getting most of the attention and effort in the class. Im not sure what to expect going forward based on what i saw this year.

Posted February 01, 2009
My daughter is enrolled in the beginners class (2.9). The two teachers in her class of 13 students are gentle and patient. They have a calming way about them that gets the children listening and learning. My daughter only recently became toilet trained and the teachers were helpful and supportive through the whole experience. My daughter has changed from a very naughty, unruly, ill-mannered neanderthal baby into a lovely little lady in just five months! I was very worried because she had a tendency to push and pinch other children when she started and I was afraid she might be kicked out!! But somehow, without punishment or scolding the teachers were able to gently train that behaviour out of her. She has learned who Barack Obama is, recently celebrated the Chinese New Year, and at xmas wanted a minora! A very nurturing environment - two thumbs up!

Posted May 20, 2008
We have been floored by the incredible, supportive environment at Caedmon. Teachers and administrators are very responsive to student's needs. Academically rigorous and stimulating, the school ensures kids have a wide variety of exposure to varying subject matter for pre-school and elementary school. The updated Montessori program is the best we've seen in NYC. Plus, our kids love it!

The Caedmon School 2

Posted March 06, 2007
As former Caedmon parents, it was a bad mistake to leave our child in the school after first grade. The academics consisted of a great deal of busy work, and report cards were unnecessarily harsh and critical. Most serious, however, was a bullying problem that the teachers and administration seemed unable or unwilling to correct. We really cannot recommend this school past the early years.

Posted February 22, 2007
This is my son's second year in the pre-school program and we love it! He is very happy and it was by far our first choice.

Posted March 14, 2006
- a administrator

The Caedmon School 4

Posted November 19, 2004
Caedmon is a magical place. It is a nurturing and academically stimulating environment. This will be my son's 3rd year there and he absolutely loves going to school. To sum up what Caedmon is about is to say that it gets children to learn and to love to learn, while encouraging and developing each child's individuality. So, when they leave Caedmon they are well-prepared to succeed wherever they choose to go after 5th grade, and they do so with confidence. For New York City, it is a low-key school with a diverse population of families and staff. We drive up everyday from 16th Street all the way to 80th Street to bring our son to a school that we think is just the best. One more thing, Caedmon develops creativity through a fantastic art program. My 5-year old can actually tell the difference between a VanGogh and a Monet!

The Caedmon School
416 East 80th Street, New York, NY  10075
Last modified The Caedmon School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
The Caedmon School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.