/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted October 23, 2014
As the Head of School, I feel such pride in the integrity, people, and in a child's experience at Caedmon. Our unwavering guide is to develop the wonder and curiosity of each child. Parent blogs can be helpful about NYC schools. I am thrilled that parents report their children are experiencing the robust educational and developmentally enriching experience to which we strive at Caedmon. I am also deeply saddened that some families did not have a fulfilling experience at the school. I assure anyone reading this that we continuously reinforce our commitment to a safe educational space. Caedmon remains profoundly committed to preventing and addressing all forms of bullying. As these posts are anonymous, I hope that any family unhappy with their child's experience will find my door open. And I make a similar offer to the writers below, as I never want to stop improving Caedmon. We offer a unique and vital option, with graduation following 5th grade. Research tells us that these early years provide the window for a child to fall in love with school or sadly decide that school is "just not for them." I invite anyone to come take a tour and make your own informed decision about Caedmon.

Posted October 07, 2014
My almost-four-year-old daughter is in her second year at Caedmon, and we couldn't be happier with this school! The teachers have blown me away with their attentiveness and sensitivity. My husband and I have watched our once painfully shy toddler blossom into a confident, articulate child who just LOVES school. In my classroom observations, I have often marveled at how calm and orderly the class rooms are and how engaged the children all seem to be. But the main thing my husband and I love about Caedmon is the sense of community there-- it was this that initially drew us in and still what we love most. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone, and I was beginning to feel a bit of the Big City Blues living in NYC until I found Caedmon. The parents, teachers, and administrators are all just so friendly and welcoming, and--most importantly-- the kids just seem extraordinarily happy! As I always tell people when talking about our decision to send our daughter to Caedmon, a sensitive kid needs a sensitive school, and Caedmon is that school!

Posted June 19, 2014
My children have both attended Caedmon's beginner's program (younger 3's) and we have been very happy with their progress. The teachers are warm and caring. The classroom is clean and well-organized. Discipline is maintained gently with positive encouragement and "break time" for children who need a moment alone to settle down. I observed the class on many occassions and was amazed at how quiet and focused 15 3-year olds can be with the right guidance. The school day starts with "circle time", discussing the calendar, the seasons, weather and sometimes have show-and-tell. The main part of the Montessori day is "work", focused on small projects with art, language, math, problem solving/logic or other themes. There are "practical life" works teaching skills like buttoning, pouring, using tongs, etc. developing fine motor skills that help with writing. Children sometimes work in small groups where they practice cooperation and compromise. There is a daily recess in the courtyard and weekly art, music and movement classes. Overall we've been very pleased with Caedmon and are excited about our kids starting in the Early Program (older 3's and 4/5 year olds).

The Caedmon School 1

Posted June 15, 2014
Caedmon is wanting to be a top tier Private School and so they have matched there prices accordingly, however, they are missing the other part.The education and development part.The teachers are very distant, never make eye contact with you and will not update you on anything.There is bullying and it's not addressed, no preparation for reading and writing whatsoever.It took me 2 years to "power wash" Caedmon Education off my child and I am happy to report he is now at grade level and reading and writing correctly.This would never have happened had he stayed in that school.The Finance office , however will find you and the PA will hunt you down if they feel you are not contributing enough.For every 1 update you get on how your child is doing academically , you will get 80 reminders to "donate".The donations are squandered on nonsense witch makes the school the best reason for sending your kid to Public School.Sad.

The Caedmon School 1

Posted April 02, 2014
Cons: staff is ignorant to bulling; overcrowded classes (nearly 30 kids in one class); not so nutritious food for preschoolers (despite advertising all their salad bars!); wrong place for active kids (no phisical activities). Most pre-k students do not stay there for K. Small space and filthy bathrooms. Afterschool program is weak compare to nearby activities offered by Y, various music schools and etc. Their discovery camp has no activities outside of one small room. It's more of a babysitting service (worst camp in the area). Staff is distant from parents, never updates on how kids are doing. With all the above, totally overpriced. Pros: none

The Caedmon School 2

Posted February 28, 2014
Not sure how other 3s programs are but right now i feel like my son has learned close to if not nothing this year. He has matured but I believe he matured because he is getting older and more mature not so much due to the school. He has come home with 1 yes 1 art project all year and I believe the teacher made it (way to detailed and perfect for a 3 year old). I think the 4's and 5's are getting most of the attention and effort in the class. Im not sure what to expect going forward based on what i saw this year.

Posted February 01, 2009
My daughter is enrolled in the beginners class (2.9). The two teachers in her class of 13 students are gentle and patient. They have a calming way about them that gets the children listening and learning. My daughter only recently became toilet trained and the teachers were helpful and supportive through the whole experience. My daughter has changed from a very naughty, unruly, ill-mannered neanderthal baby into a lovely little lady in just five months! I was very worried because she had a tendency to push and pinch other children when she started and I was afraid she might be kicked out!! But somehow, without punishment or scolding the teachers were able to gently train that behaviour out of her. She has learned who Barack Obama is, recently celebrated the Chinese New Year, and at xmas wanted a minora! A very nurturing environment - two thumbs up!

Posted May 20, 2008
We have been floored by the incredible, supportive environment at Caedmon. Teachers and administrators are very responsive to student's needs. Academically rigorous and stimulating, the school ensures kids have a wide variety of exposure to varying subject matter for pre-school and elementary school. The updated Montessori program is the best we've seen in NYC. Plus, our kids love it!

The Caedmon School 2

Posted March 06, 2007
As former Caedmon parents, it was a bad mistake to leave our child in the school after first grade. The academics consisted of a great deal of busy work, and report cards were unnecessarily harsh and critical. Most serious, however, was a bullying problem that the teachers and administration seemed unable or unwilling to correct. We really cannot recommend this school past the early years.

Posted February 22, 2007
This is my son's second year in the pre-school program and we love it! He is very happy and it was by far our first choice.

The Caedmon School