/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted June 20, 2015
In the desert of school choices in East Harlem, EHS is the oasis within that desert. EHS provides a rigorous curriculum along with dedicated teaching staff and a board of directors that go to any means to get the resources and opportunities that the students need in order to succeed. The head of school is personally committed to the proper education of all children within the community. This is not a public school where children run amok and disinterested parents blame the teachers for their children's poor performance. It is a private setting that expects each child to act accordingly and reach his/her full potential. EHS is a real learning institution. My daughter excelled at this school and as a result, in the Fall of 2015, she will be attending one of the most prestigious boarding schools in New England,Miss Porter's School for girls. Through my daughter's hard work and the school's dedication to excellence, my daughter is on the right path to being a productive member of society. If you want your child to have a real education, apply to EHS.

Posted March 16, 2015
Ivan (and his team,) the school Headmaster, has created a sanctuary for kids! My son and myself are very pleased and satisfied with this school. The curriculum is solid, the faculty and general staff are wonderful and communicative. There is zero tolerance of bullying and students are taught to be respectful and disciplined in their daily activities. They go above and beyond to help the kids, should they need any help. Various sports are offered throughout the year: Lacrosse, swimming, soccer, wrestling...The school also has a great HS placement program in some of the Tri-state prestigious private schools.

Posted October 29, 2014
this school sucks . it is bad .it is mental prison . never ever send your child here

East Harlem School At Exodus House 2

Posted September 04, 2014
When this school was introduced to my family i thought it was a good fit for my son. Initially i believed the head of the school was in the best interest for all students. Fortunately i learned that he felt that he needed to protect the females and belittle the males. He had all students bowed to him as the entered the school. He did have them eat a well balance vegetarian meal but, at what cost. First if the student did not eat all the had a demerit card taken from them and secondly if any food had fallen on the table they were to pick it up and eat it. What I will say the teachers were decent educators with the exception of removal of demerit cards if a student dropped a pencil on the floor and failing to ask permission to pick it up. I am sorry i put my son through this but , if he had not he would not be attending one the better private school on a full scholarship.

Posted November 12, 2013
All those hater comments. EHS was just not for you. It was said....EHS is not for everyone... so.... it was not for you. You people are just mad because EHS made you realize that your values were not as strong as the ones at EHS. HATERS. I am done here. Because of EHS I go to an amazing High School and I have set goals for myself that i wouldnt be able to figure out in any other school in the world. Ivan was hard on us because he just wants best. So goodbye, Peace

Posted July 23, 2013
EHS is not for everybody,words of wisdom from the Co-Founder & Head of School himself. What he is, is a bully with an inherited. I REMOVED my child from this school after 1 too many run ins with the head of school. My child had been in EHS for only 2 years, had good grades, & had nothing but delightful said about her by her teachers throughout her time at EHS, as well as the school she attended prior. After going to an open house, I was convinced that attending this school would be an enormous opportunity for my child; I would soon find out that this opportunity came at a cost. My child was berated, & ridiculed in the presence of her peers Instead of acting as a leader & a pillar of the community that he prides his self on being; he alienated my daughter & tore her down with negative comments. Not only is EHS is not the place for my child, it is not the place for anyone s child. As long as he is running this school, he is doing the East Harlem Community & our future leaders a disservice. Parents if you are considering sending your child to this school, please reconsider. Do your HW & know that there are always others options out there

East Harlem School At Exodus House 2

Posted October 30, 2012
I'm glad I made the choice of not letting my chid go to this school. At first I was intrigued w the fact that classes are small n school is private. However, after going through the application process and interview, husband and I had a change of mind. It was the Director of the school who seemed intimidating to children in our presence. He actually makes the boys bow down to him as a greeting... Although he stresses discipline we detected something from twisted, least to say, about the director. We chose St Ann for our child and we are happy with our choice and so is our child. Don't be fooled by school image, check their educational records. Do your homework on school and director!

Posted June 06, 2012
East Harlem School is not as cracked up as it seems when you first go there. There are so many flaws about this school that it's ridiculous. Especially the head of school, he has anger issues and he needs to do something about it. He curses at children and he also makes fun of children. Do not sign up for the East Harlem School. Even eight graders want to leave when there is only a couple of weeks of school left and the first thing they always say is I can't wait to leave Ivan

Posted May 29, 2012
It s so sad and immature how the administrator of this school has to post fake parent POSITIVE reviews to make his school look good for those parents, guardians, and families interested in finding a descent, honorable, academically rich, and respectful school. Mr. Hageman's school is the opposite of all the above. He fails to respect his students and families. The school is academically behind. What's being taught in the core classes can be found online. Mr. Hageman is the worst bully any child will ever meet! It s a real shame that his school is still in existence, he calls it an ELITE school, don t make me laugh. More like prison treatment and he's the children s' biggest mental and emotional abuser. He thinks because he has a wealth board of trustees and sponsors that he can treat others like SH--. His staff is weak and they are also guilty of bulling the children, they are bystanders. They watch the mistreatment, they follow his practice, and they do not have the guts to stand up for these poor defenseless children. Then they walk around the street smiling at parents like they are the nicest people ever. CROOKS!!!

Posted May 08, 2012
A horrible experience. One of our biggest regrets is that we subjected our child to this bizarre environment. My son, now an adult and a college graduate, looks back at his treatment by the director as mentally abusive. Students and parents are treated with extreme disrespect. Oddly, they think this is preparation for the real world, but unless you are planning on going to prison, you do not need this type of preparation. If you are used to being treated with common courtesy, you are in for a big shock. If your child needs shock treatment or needs to be scared straight then this is the place for you. If you want a safe place for your child to learn and grow, look elsewhere. The few perks are not worth the emotional damage.

East Harlem School At Exodus House
309 E 103 3rd St, New York, NY  10029
Last modified East Harlem School At Exodus House is a Private school that serves grades 4-8
East Harlem School At Exodus House Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top