Posted May 16, 2014
painfully lacking in effective and approachable leadership. little encouragement in the areas of parent/teacher collaboration and community building. school safety agents are beyond unfriendly and rude. most teachers and staff are great but overall school environment is not welcoming. please do your research before placing your child into this school.

Posted October 16, 2013
I think the quality of the teachers might be fair. The reason why I say this is because as per school policy, parents are not allowed into the school unless you have an appointment with the administration office. The security Guards are nasty, and treat parents like criminals, the teachers don't interact with the parents and the principle acts like your going to jump down her throat when she sees you. I hate this school, can't wait to pull my son out. Everyday he comes home with bite marks on his skin and no one has yet to explain what the problem is (infestation). I plan on filing a complain ASAP.

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 2

Posted October 28, 2012
Considering the school has chosen to become a magnet school there has been no improvements made what-so-ever. The teachers are the only decent thing the school has to offer- that is it. It is almost Novmeber- I have been to the school at least once a week since the start of school and atteneded all events- I HAVE NOT seen the principal yet! She still continues to play the background. I am just not pleased with the schools administration at all and it is runing the school. There is another school housed in the building- I have seen the male principal that leads FLI, why havent I seen Ms. D?

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 4

Posted August 01, 2012
To all parents, please be advised that some of the posted information about PS 242 YDMA may be personal opinions. We ask that you come and tour the school, speak to staff and students and make your own decisions of the school. There is a lot the school offers to have parents become involved individuals in their child's education. Parents who take advantage of this involvement will see that statements made on this page, are inaccurate. Please take advantage of all parent and community involvement opportunities. It takes a united community to make a school a successful one and YDMA offers this opportunity.

Posted May 22, 2012
PARENTS BEWARE!!! One cannot be distracted by the clean, friendly look of this school. After only 3 months of attending this school, we pulled our children out as this school is dangerously lacking in SAFETY. My daughter was always frightened to go to school because how badly the kids hit and kick. Drop-off and dismissal are disorderly. Use the right exit and you could leave out with a child without any adult noticing. What is equally disturbing is my son was involved in several incidents of fighting and bullying that were never communicated to me by the teachers. And use of profane language by the students is commonplace. I have sent several emails to Principal Desjardin. The only time she responded to me was when I informed her that my husband and I were withdrawing our kids from the school. The only way to see changes is for parents to file a complaint with the DOE by calling 311 (u can do this anonymously or by using your name). NO COMPLAINT IS TOO SMALL.. Talking it over with the Principal during Tea or calling her cell will not suffice as what was discussed can easily be denied (ask me how I know). Best wishes to you in finding a great school for your child(ren).

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 0

Posted October 07, 2009
I enrolled my child in this school a few years ago and after two years was relieved to be able to transfer to a charter school. I have heard that there have been changes in administration and that the school has started to make a slow upward climb but from my experience I can tell you that my child entered performing on grade level and left there so far behind that it took two years to return to grade level in the new school! If 242 is in the process of improving, I say give them a few years to do this before even considering it for your child. For me and my child it was a nightmare!

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 2

Posted June 30, 2008

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 5

Posted June 02, 2007

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 5

Posted September 18, 2003

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School 4

Posted September 09, 2003
I believe P.S. 242 G.P. Brown Computer School has excellent potential to be one of the better schools in New York City. The principal, Ms. Brewster demonstrates great leadership and enforces positive attitudes with all students. The teachers appear to be adequately qualified, however the students would benefit further if more creativity were added in the classroom setting. There is a strong sense of community that involves students, parents and teachers. Part of the mission for the school is to have everyone involved work together, which will lead your child to being successful in school. There is a need for improvement in specific areas as follows: specialized services for students with learning disabilities, after school program, extracurricular activities and smaller teacher to child ratio. This also eliminates to increased funding for the school.

Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School
134 W 122nd St, New York, NY  10027
Last modified Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 242 The Young Diplomats Magnet School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top